Tablets For Kids?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Shine_Spirit • Jun 7, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    "Do you think a tablet to give a 5-year-old is a good gift or do you think it will disrupt the natural development?"

That was the question a friend asked me about what gift to buy for his nephew. I said yes, it would be a great gift (as long as the parents know how to control the child's use).

What would you say? :)

2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't recommend making children own a tablet because it made my 4 year old niece a brat. If you still insist on buying one, do not install YouTube and YouTube kids. Install Netflix kids instead.

YouTube kids have a lot of bad influential content like those Spiderman and Elsa cosplay videos that are target to kids but very inappropriate.

3. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I personally think that it is a bad idea to buy a child a tablet. To begin with, it may affect the performance of the kid at school. Another thing is that the child will always find a way to trick the parent and eventually get access to bad stuff on the internet. We have had cases of kids accessing fatal games like the Blue-whale challenge. I think it would be good if the kid was let to finish school first then be allowed to have such items.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't sure I knew quite well if a tablet for a kid as young as five was good development. Some children are so intelligent that they would always want a feel of either the mother's mobile or tablet especially when the mum is busy with one. I was thinking one way to calm such kids was to make a provision of a tablet for them. From what I gathered now that's not a clever thing to do, well maybe lighted toys can do the magic in the mean time.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There are certainly a lot of advantages that could come with this, but then again you always have to think of the ways that it could do some harm too. The more careful the better, but hopefully some trust and rules can play a good role.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tablets are getting cheaper now with the cost that is comparable with expensive toys. I don't like a tablet for my kid but I guess we cannot fight the emerging culture with technology in the forefront. Children with tablets are well behaved as I see them in public places. That is the upside to the tablet instead of the kid running around in the restaurant, it is much better if he just plays with his tablet. As with the development of the child's mind, we don't data to prove anything. Only time will tell if the tablet is a bane or a boon to kids.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it's a good gift as long as the parents have control of their use . I bought my 3 year olld child one and she loves it but I do keep track of what she watches and how long she's on it. To prevent her from watching anything innapropriate I simply download the cartoons she watches and keep changing them up if she gets bored, so that means no internet. I also download educational games which she has learned a lot from.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My 10 year old granddaughter inherits all my old tablets. When I upgrade them I pass the old ones on to her. However, we've only been doing this for a couple of years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as a child isn't permanently glued to it. They should be out playing with their friends some of the time but a balance between the two is fine.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, technology can be a great help for everyone, even kids. However, I think kids younger than 7 should not have their own tablet (yet). Not only they might get addicted to it but it can damage their eyes as well. My brother have his own iPad at the age of 12 and I think it's fine to have it at his age. He normally play educational games like puzzles and watch nursery rhymes and stuff which I think is very helpful for his brain development.

10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail Yes I see children very young playing on tablets although my granddaughter has only become interested in them over the last year or two. Before that she was more interested in her dolls or playing out with friends so it was never an issue for us. I don't think she would want to be without them now though.

#10Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    True. I have a nephew who's a toddler and he's been exposed with tablets and electronic gadgets as long as I can remember and his parents can't do anything about it. The good thing about him is that he was able to learn a lot of things through this gadgets and he even learned how to speak by simply watching YouTube videos and I can say that he had learn a lot. The negative side of it is that he became a bit brat and will stay awake up til dawn unless all gadgets are drained.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I guess kids should do more outside activities than doing this tablet or phone. These days I am seeing kids of the same age only playing games on phones or tablet. So because of this they avoid play grounds. I don't think this is good thing. So to me I will will say better to choose other gift. Though tablet is not bad gift if parents can limit the usage of it to kid.

13. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea to give a child a tablet for learning purposes and also to play games, as long as the parents will be able to control what the child views. I think kids who are encouraged to learn and read and play challenging games will do better eventually in their lives than kids who aren't exposed to all these things.

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I am in favor of giving tablets to kids. They can use for entertainment as well as knowledge. Children can use a tablet to read books, especially picture books, watch rhymes and cartoon, and play games. When you let children play interactive games, it will help them in theri brain development. You can also teach your children to search online. For instance, my nephew always uses google when ever he has difficulty with the assignments. Howeve, you need to have parental conmtrol in case they begin to watch "unwanted" things.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    As long as a parent or another adult can monitor and administer proper usage of the device, there is nothing wrong for a child to have a table as a gift. If the usage is restricted to within the home walls, this should be fine. Asides from games and a cartoon viewing, a tablet can also be used for educational purposes.

16. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    The world is on a transition and most things are going digital. In fact our country is changing the mode of learning, where every kid is being provided with a tablet. Therefore buying a tablet, I believe will create more exposure a vital requirement in making it easier for the child to learn.

What I would suggest is that children's tablets are programmed with applications necessary to improve the kids' learning.

@tallulah@tallulah Yes, that's quite true. If used with moderation, I also think tablets will be beneficial, just as you have stated above.

#16Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  17. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I like the fact that some parents make an effort to utilize tablet as a way to educate their children at a very young age. There are lots of educational apps available on the web which can really help in the development of toddlers and preschoolers. I am really amazed at times how children at the very young age of three were able to recite the alphabet or even tell a country's name by just looking at a flag or actually pointing it's location on a map. So I guess technology has it's benefits, if we are willing to harness it.

18. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think whether we like it or not children are exposed to these types of devices practically since birth. Even schools use them around here. I don't think it is bad as long as the parents control the amount of time the child is on it and controls the content. There are many educational apps out there that can help a child learn many different things. Many tablets have parental controls that block them from using certain features on a tablet and from downloading games or apps by requiring a password from the parent.

19. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I highly recommend not to buy a tablet for a 5-year-old because it definitely hinders the growth and development in many aspects. Studies show that children under and at the age of 5 who are constantly exposing to electronic gadgets like tablets and smartphones have a delayed speech development. Also, it affects the brain. So please tell your friend to buy some other useful but which will not affect the child.

20. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I am not in favour of giving electronic gifts such as mobile phones of tablets to children that young. No matter what people will say, that they will ensure the kid does not become addicted to it, they will control what they watch etc. etc. the child still becomes addicted to that thing and slowly and steadily will no longer want to watch books. I am also concerned about blue light that is emitted by devices and it is said to hamper brain and cognitive development. So I think, instead of such gadgets, why not give them nice, colourful books or some board games that can be played with the family, or creative gift sets. They are so much more nicer and interesting.