Switching Off The Phone

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by remnant • Mar 27, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Do you switch your phone off at night? I make a point of doing so. It saves on power since you are not likely to use the phone much at night unless you are a night bird, for example night shift workers and sentries. I have also noted that this prolongs battery longevity which spares one the cost of having to replace them. I have a Lithium ion battery and have used it for more than a year now with no sign of depletion.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep my phone on at night so that I can be reached if there is an emergency and I need to be reached. I know turning off the phone will prolong the battery but I feel more secure knowing I can be reached if something were to happen.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is not healthy to switch off the phone when I am asleep because I might get an important call or message. Especially now that my mother is sick, I have to be expectant of a call or message from my sister. What we turn off is the wifi router to give it a rest because it is up for the whole day. Aside from saving on electricity, switching off the router prolongs its life somehow.

4. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I keep mine on 24/7. Since I'm doing freelance it's essential to have my phone on and online at all times just to make sure that I don't miss potential gigs and other opportunities. As much as I would love to turn it off and just do my thing, it's not really an option and who knows, I might get an emergency text or call.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    While turning off phones at night would help in prolonging their battery life and saving on energy, I make it a point to always keep it on 24/7. As what most of the other members have posted, I feel more secure if my phone is turned on the whole day even at night when I'm asleep just in case someone would call me because of an emergency.

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a cell phone, and I keep the house phone with me at night, in case someone has an emergency, as well as in case I need to call the police or other emergency responders for some reason. I will occasionally turn off my desktop computer at night in an effort to save a little money, but my insomnia has been so bad lately that I often end up getting up in the middle of the night and using the computer, and I don't like waiting for the computer to boot up, so I don't turn it off that often. Since my house phone runs off the computer router, I keep that on at all times.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't make a point of keeping my phone on or off. I have a house phone as well as a cell, so I would most likely hear something on that phone rather than my cell. Most of the time I charge my cellphone at night. I am not sure how much power it is using. I think it is not critical to have both phones on.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Generally no, since I would be too worried about there being an emergency call regarding someone in my family. Especially now that my parents are in their 70's and have a number of issues with their health. The only thing I will do though is disable notifications from certain apps, so I don't get woken up by unimportant notifications over stupid stuff like app updates, or spam emails.

9. showup

showupNew Member

Threads:
    My phone is always on at night incase someone needs to communicate or someone has an emergency or an important message to communicate.I think its important to keep it on.But before I go to sleep I make sure to switch off all notifications from apps and mails.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always switch my phone off at night. There are some people who'll call at night just to say "hi". I hate that kind of stuff and had friends who regularly did that. To avoid being riled up by these late night calls I have my phone off at night. It appears that by doing so I've without knowing it saved me some money [which is good].

11. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    I don't switch my phone off at night incase there's an emergency. I'm a light sleeper and am woken easily, but I'd much rather be notified and informed incase an accident happened to one of my loved ones. It seems a bit dark and morbid now that I say it, but better safe than sorry. If need be I can charge my phone in the morning, but I can't exactly pick up the phone in the morning when the accident has already happened.

That's my reasoning at least :confused:

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not switch off my phone at night but I do tone down the volume so as not to be disturbed when it rings. I sometimes wake up mid-way through my sleep and check on my phone for important messages. When I'm not expecting any important call from anyone, I just put it on silent mode. Only the alarm is set loud enough to wake me up for work.

13. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. But, I do put it on silent mode and let it charge. I have a habit of waking up in the middle of the night and searching for something, so I do keep its brightness as low as possible since the blue light from the phone does tend to hurt sleep patterns.

14. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I generally keep my cellphone on during the day and night. The only time I turn it off is if I am at a function where they request that all cellphones be turned off. I turn it off when I am in church too. It does run down the battery which has to be recharged often. Otherwise, I have no problem with having it on throughout the day and night. Also, I like to check the time if I happen to awake during the night. I do not have a watch at this time, so I use my cellphone for checking the time. I would not want to be turning it off and then back on just to check the time.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do this on a regular basis, but I probably should. We have a house phone (via Internet), so if someone needs to reach me they can call the house phone. I'd be more likely to hear that one anyway.

It also seems that my phone most often needs to be charged at night, but I guess I should turn it off to charge it as well. I just never got in the habit of doing that, but it makes sense.

I've also heard that deleting all the extra stuff off your phone helps as well, like all those old text messages that are no longer needed.

16. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    I personally see no point in turning off the phone unless:
    1. Battery is too low (but if you are going to sleep, you can charge it; not a problem)
    2. You don't want to get 'a lot of' radiation (nothing that can kill you at such small rate, no matter what you read on the Internet)
    3. ??? Not sure
    I would rather keep my iPhone (or any phone) in airplane & silent mode, have 'Do not disturb' feature turned on and WiFi turned off.

Someone would probably wonder what if I got an emergency call. Well, there's my landline for that job.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just keep mine on. The money I'll save on the longer lifespan of my battery isn't as important to me as the peace of mind that I get from knowing that I can respond to emergencies, especially since my phone isn't all that expensive anyway to begin with. I may be more willing to do this if my phone were more expensive and the battery wasn't easily replaceable but even then I think I'd just assume that since the phone is expensive they have made it good enough that the battery can withstand what is now considered as standard among the masses which is keeping the phone on 24/7.

18. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I keep my phone on at night too. I don't have a house phone anymore, so turning it off isn't an option.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't switch off my phone since if it's on standby I don't think it would consume that much battery anyway as long as there are no apps open.

20. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    My phone is pretty cheap and I don't really care much about it. Sometimes I just forget to charge it and it turns off automatically. My phone is made by Prestigio. It can work for like 30 hours without recharging.