Suggestion: Minimalist Living

Discussion in Suggestions & Feedback started by Victor Leigh • Dec 22, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    'Minimalism' (or its opposite, 'livin` large, opulence?') is something that would work best through "trickle-down" economics---i.e. if the wealthiest people were well-known for 'living like monks,' then the average & the poor would do the same.

I think of the health-industry (COMEDY CENTRAL's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart had an interview last night with a college-professor whose main criticism of "The Affordable Healthcare Act" was that it didn't make healthcare more-economical but -did FORCE taxpayers to become its customers---basically "feeding the dragon"). The prices they charge aren't going to 'go down' until someone who charges lower-prices is shown to be "more successful."

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    No idea really but that's mainly because I don't watch tv. I, however, do know that there are number of forums which are focused on discussions about what to do when the SHTF (ie when the world as we know it comes to an end). Amid all the threads about how to fortify your home and what guns to buy, there are also threads about what to stock up and what alternatives there are if you cannot get what you need.

3. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    I like that idea. I like reusing or re-purposing things. That way I make a smaller imprint on the environment and save money at the same time. Unfortunately people equate Minimalist Living with being cheap. I don't believe they are exactly the same thing but maybe that is just me. Anyway, good idea.

4. Happy247

Happy247Member

Threads:
    Yes, please start a thread on minimalist living. I recently found out that I've been doing this all wrong. I seriously thought that spending more money meant more happiness, but I sure hate all of these bills coming in every month. I want to keep my money, well at least some of it. I'm learning not to be so wasteful and careless with my money so this thread would definitely help me with that. I'm ready whenever you are.

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Welcome, Happy247! (I respond as if I'm hanging-out in the entry way to a monastery, where we all learn to "live like a monk" :D)

One way I do it: coupons. They're THE ENTIRE REASON I subscribe to my local newspaper!

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    That is funny, I only get the Sunday newspaper for the coupons, and I only get it if there are over $100 in coupons in the inserts. I really think that minimalist living is the way to go and I see a lot more people moving in the direction in the future. We do not need all of the stuff we accumulate and it seems as though every single market in the US is consumer driven now. It is non sense and we do not need it. Be thankful for the things you have in life, and only buy things that can be used for years to come so that we are not wasting resources.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    That makes me think of 'the new phones.' I would much-rather have an old phone for decades-&-decades (as long as people-&-I can still use it to TALK to each other) than have a new phone that's only usable for the next season!

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do need a fancy smart phone for some if the work I do online, but now I have one and I will probably keep it for as long as it still works. My Internet and gigs are just fine for what I do and so there is no reason for me to go out and get a new one and spend hundreds of dollars just to be up on the latest technology. It is getting to the point in which these phones are becoming way too confusing anyway, and I don't use most of the features. I have better things to spend my hard earned money on.

9. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I went to minimalism early last year and I am much happier with "less" stuff. I feel I have more important things in my life now. One of the biggest things I have learn is to question every possession I have and ask myself, "does this bring value to my life?". I also use that strategy for when making new purchases. I really helps you get over that urge to "impulse" buy.

10. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I definitely try to live this way. I know I could do more of it though. I agree with missbishi that I'd like to see a thread that has ideas on how to do more of this. I could throw in some of my ideas too. So, who's going to be the first to start this thread? LOL

11. William Mike

William MikeNew Member

Threads:

it is really a good idea, this section should be in this great forum, because in the end, we try to save our money....:D

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think it makes one MORE-COMFORTABLE to impulse-buy (when one can), because one doesn't 'count' the things one buys on-impulse ... meaning that one is not attached to those things.

Oh, I agree that it's good to have the ABILITY to live on next-to-nothing; but when your needs are taken-care-of and you've got a little left-over, I think it's time to enjoy the FRUITS of your economic efficiency!

(FRUITS to which your attachment means nothing :cool:)

13. Grimp

GrimpNew Member

Threads:
    Dunno I reckon that is kind of the anti-thesis of what this site is probably trying to acheive, I mean theres got to be some kind of insentive for having product reviews right? In the end of the day the kind of people on this forum probably the kind of people who like buying quite obscure niche things once in a while so also your target audience are probably quite minimalist anyway, so yeah, actually you might have just found a niche there for yourself! B:)

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if a person attempts to have a minimalist lifestyle, sooner or later he would still need to purchase something. Minimalist living does not really mean the total absence of buying. If you do that, then you're depriving yourself of your basic needs. Unless you raise your own animals and grow vegetables in your yard, it's impossible not to purchase food, clothing or items for cleaning and organizing your home. I'm not entirely opposed to such a lifestyle but someone of my ilk finds happiness in certain forms of excess (including splurging).

15. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Oohh, we live with less and be happy! Drinking water instead of sodas and sugar-rich bottled fruit juices. Firewood heating. Non-use of credit cards, only for quick transactions and then pay immediately to avoid interests. Bulk purchases (honey, organic raw milk from trusted farmers, bulk meat or a whole cow to butcher...) Enjoy outdoor picnics in the sun for eating out.

I think I've gone extreme. But this is what my friends with several children and I (sometimes) do. Saves so much money. And it's healthy lifestyle, too.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed as I've gotten older that I care less about material goods, and am feeling the desire to declutter and downscale. I don't know if this thread actually exists yet, because I don't recall seeing it here on the forum, but if not, I would be interested in seeing one created.

17. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I don't really consider myself to be a minimalist. But moving to a smaller place is one thing that forces me to declutter (and be a step closer to being a minimalist). I don't think I'll ever get there though. I own too many clothes. As I grow older, I find that I own less stuff, which is good.

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    After reading your posts I can say there is an ongoing confusion here with the terms "minimalist living" for "frugal living" which is kind of the same thing but the term minimalist is widely use to describe indeed architectonic styles and trendy home decor, while frugality refers to saving money, reduce, reuse and recycle, and change one's lifestyle for a simpler way of life.

Called one way or another, I do certainly agree with all of you wanting to have a section for ideas on this. Precisely by mean of reduce, reuse and recycle, we can save money on items that we already have but can transform into others without need to pay a single nickel, or with very, very few money at most.

19. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you, MyDigitaloint, you made the point I was wanting to make as far as the confusion as to what minimalism means. Actually,it can mean a number of things, depending on the context. Minimalist art, minimalist decoration, minimalist lifestyle all have different meanings (If someone decorates extensively with minimalist art, they are probably not minimalist in the other fields. But a thread or forum on minimalist economics would probably be a propos.

20. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    So true Thomas, being minimalist doesn't necessarily means fall in simplicity on the one and, or overcluttering practices on the other hand.

This why I though to make the remark between minimalist lifestyle and frugal living :)