Store Bought Food Or Homemade Preparations?

Discussion in Pets started by remnant • Jul 6, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It follows that some people give their pets store bought food since it has the advantage of quick preparation and convenience was it not for the cost. In our place, dogs are given sterilised leftovers which have the advantage of being nutritious as the food was meant for human nourishment. These leftovers are also cheap since they are potential waste anyway. What food do you give your dogs?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 3 dogs and you can make an estimate of the expense involved regarding canned dog food. But we feed our dogs with cooked food instead of the dog food in cans and packs. With the cost, it is definitely cheaper to give them boiled meat or fish. With the nutrition, it is definitely more nutritious instead of the preserved dog food. With the taste, our dogs love boiled chicken wings or even pork belly. And they would die for fried chicken drumsticks. It may be laborious to prepare but it's worth the trouble in terms of cost, nutrition and taste.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I am really into making my own facial cleansers right now. I got this book from the library that has a ton of recipes on how to make scrubs and cleansers. I would pay at least $5 a bottle for a St. Ives apricot scrub and now I just use sugar and coconut oil that I have right here at home.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We had a dog that we also just fed leftovers and she was fine and lived a long life. I don't know if she would have lived even longer on store bought dog food though, to be completely honest, but I think home preparations can also be an alright option as long as it's done with enough research. Back then we didn't have such convenience of easily accessibly research resources but days there is a ton of information that you can look up within minutes so it's best to take advantage of it so as to lessen the risk as much as possible.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many pet experts advice against giving dogs table scraps because should you want to switch to pet food then they may not want to eat the dog food.

That said, I buy some pet food from stores and when I can I also make the dogs some of their food myself. It's cheaper but my concern is that they may not get all the nutrients they need which is why I supplement that homemade pet food with soem pet food from some store.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We feed our pets with both store-bough food (cat food/dog food) as well as prepare home cooked meals for them (either extra food from our dining table or fresh fish, half-cooked solely for our cats' consumption). Our dogs love to eat leftover food particularly bones from pork, chicken, beef, goat or fish.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to our dogs, we give them a mixture of dog food and human food. The Jack Russell one rarely eats dog food, so we mostly give him human food. As for our cat, he only eats human food now.

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    My pets mainly get canned food and crumbles. They have a set supper time when this is served to them along with supplements and fresh water, and they look forward to it every day. Our dog also loves people food. And so whatever we cook, she gets a little of that. Some of her favorites are pizza, bacon, and ice cream.

9. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    My family has two dogs currently, we feed them both food bought from the pet store and homemade food and it seems it is working very good. As for the taste, they seem to prefer the homemade food.

10. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I'd cook homemade pet food if only the ingredients are available. Most of the recipes I find only call for stuff that the nearest supermarket doesn't have. I think the ingredients are at the bigger supermarkets in the city. I've been giving my dog commercial dog food and sometimes just boiled chicken meat, chicken liver or ground beef.