Spraying The Engine With Wd40

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by littlewitch66 • Aug 9, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My car does not like the wet and if we have heavy rain it will not start. I was going to take it to the garage when one of my friends said "Just spray the engine with WD40 as it absorbs moisture. I haven't done this yet but have just covered it with cardboard to stop it getting wet.

Has anyone tried this?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn’t dare do that unless it was the mechanic who would advise me. Sometimes hearsay can cause damage so it is better to confirm it with a professional mechanic before using. It would be a disaster if something goes wrong in your engine because of the WD40. I also had experienced that hard starting when it rains for long because of the humidity and moist. What I do in those cases is to place the car cover and also a cloth mat on the hood.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy I've googled it and it does seem to be quite a common practice but I must admit I am nervous about doing it as I would hate to see smoke coming from the engine as I was driving along! Perhaps I should seek the advice of my garage and see what they think.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to consult someone before thinking of this, and even then it might be a little unnerving. It is often the case where simple things like this can work though, so I guess I am intrigued now.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Different websites have different levels of credibility. I mean, if a good website said it, then why ignore it? Also, if your on a forum and enough random experts agree, then it could also be a swell idea. Anyway, though, I'd still look at a variety of credible sites before drawing a final conclusion.