Spending On Theater

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by luri • Jul 10, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Do you think it is wise to spend money on theater when you can stream it for a small amount?Visiting theatres can cost you a lot of money. When I was in college I used to watch one movie every week. By the end of the month, I would be spending as much as my room rent. These days I avoid visiting theater. I will ratgher wait for months for the DVDs to be out instead of paying big money to watch the movie.

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly saying yes it can cost more but I love it. Though I am not going for movies every week so I think it is okay for me. I normally go for movies when there is good movie available which is my interest related. So this is happen once in a month or two month. So I think going to theater once in one or two month is not that costly for me. I always enjoy watching movie in big screen with great sound effect.

3. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    It depends really. If it is something that you would rather watch alone or something that is not a 3D (if you don't have a 3D monitor/TV at home of course) then yeah, it's probably a waste of money. But I usually go to the movies when there are friends that would like to watch the same movie or if it's a 3D movie worth watching since I don't have a 3D technology at home. Now, I don't know how much do tickets cost there but here, they are not so expensive. And I would rather buy a movie ticket than a box of cigars to be honest, or something similar.

4. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I love to go to the theater if it's a movie that I've been expecting for a while. Sure, you can stream at home. But actually going to the theater is a nice experience every once in a while. You can go with friends or family and enjoy a good movie on a big screen.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the dvd first came out, my brother-in-law bought a dvd player. They would rent a dvd to watch for a day for only $1. And then the rental went down to half. During the time, the cost of theater tickets is $3 and that’s only for 1 person while the dvd at home can be watched by the entire family. Now they do the streaming because that is the modern competition of the theater. And I agree with them because they are movie addicts. But for me, I watch movies maybe just 5 times a year so it’s not much to think about.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what, we haven't gone to a movie theater in over 10 years. Do we miss it, no. We do save money for I've looked at what it costs now days to go to the movies and it'll cost you a lot of money. Theater tickets to a consolidated theater on Oahu start from $7 and goes up to $13 for the deluxe chairs where you got a desk to eat on. Those deluxe seats are something new this year. Then you got to go to a restaurant later which can dost upward of $40 for 2. Gas and parking is another cost. Theater can be fun for the whole family though for I have fond memories from going to the drive-ins which is non-existent on Oahu to safe theaters in malls.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not see anything wrong with going to the movies once in a while. It is a nice treat and when we do go, we go for the matinee which is discounted. We went a couple weeks ago and the tickets were $4 which is a really good deal considering regular tickets in the evening are $13. My kids like to go so when there is a really good kids movie out I like to take them. I am not spending that much on gas either because the theater is relatively close to my house and that is another plus.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how often you visit. Myself, I view it as sort of a rare occasion. In that case, it doesn't bother me to splurge on spending. However, though, as the OP hinted at, an avid customer with little income would quickly get drained In that case, he/she should try to look for coupons or perhaps frequent customer clubs to save money. Do they have those things for movie houses?

9. Merissa

MerissaNew Member

Threads:
    @luri@luri In my opinion it depends on the kind of person you are, these factors come into play: Your budget, if persons can afford it and their income can cover the expenses of going to a theater frequently, more than likely people would go for it. The experience, the theater can offer a gigantic screen about 20-50 ft wide, with an enhancing audio system which enables you to hear everything clearly, some Air Conditioning, Cup holders for your drinks and comfortable seats and they offer you all the snacks you want. Some of these equipment others may not have at home. So persons would spend money on a theater for these things. Personally I don't go out to a theater much and I normally watch some movies online or on Netflix, but when I do, I enjoy it because of the experience and offers and sometimes you just want to go out, leave the house with your friends and family.

10. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Even if I can afford to watch movies in theaters, I still prefer watching at home since it really saves me a lot of money. I would spend around 6 to 10 dollars including food if I am going to watch in a theater. If I'm going to buy some food with that money then I can watch movies all day while eating all day.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather just spend the money that I would spend on movie tickets to eat out, at least my stomach will be delighted and not just my eyes, lol. I actually haven't been to the theater for the longest time and I don't mind, I just watch movies by buying pirated discs and also via cable TV.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a complete movie addict, so... No matter what the value of the tickets, I'll always go to the movies. What I can do to try to save some money is to decrease my frequency (which is fairly regular :)), but I'll never let go to the movies.

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I've been to the cinemas and I must admit that watching on the big screen is more fun. However, I just stopped going to the theater because it's expensive and we now have access to most movies at the convenience of our home so I'm fine not going to the theater anymore. The only downside is that if you want to watch a movie that's newly released, you have to wait for a couple of months before you can watch it online.

14. Malibeast

MalibeastMember

Threads:
    Honestly, no, I don't think it's wise to spend money going to a cinema. I prefer to watch my movies in the comfort of my home, for a number of reasons.

At home, you can pause a movie whenever you feel like it -- i.e. to go to the bathroom, to stand up and stretch, among many other reasons. You don't have to contend with other people's inconsiderate chatter. You can sit or lie down in any position or on any surface, without worrying about germs or impeding the viewing experience of a fellow movie-goer. You can watch your movie whenever you please, whether at three in the afternoon or three in the morning. You can speak or react however loudly you want to -- provided that you're watching the aforesaid movie alone or with very tolerant friends or family, of course. And, my importantly, you can eat whatever you want to and don't have to splurge on the overpriced snacks and drinks sold at movie theaters.

Save yourself some money and watch at home.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the movies :). Though I go only occasionally (once a month or sometimes once in two months). There is something beautiful about the experience and this is actually what cinema houses are selling. They are fully aware you can watch the same movie from your living room, but they sell the whole package as a beautiful experience; a super giant screen, popcorn and chocolate, great company, plush executive chairs, the lights and all that. All these comes together to form a beautiful experience.

16. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I like to spend a few bucks in a movie because that is a part of my childhood. Even if it is a bit expensive nowadays, I still want to do it once in a while because it is like I am revisiting some of my childhood activities. It is also a great way to spend time together with your family. Plus everybody loves to watch a movie so you can't go wrong with this.

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    If you are on a budget then I suggest limiting the times you go to the theater. Once every month or two should be just enough, I myself most likely wouldn't go every week. Also, try bringing your own snacks from your local stores instead of paying for them at the theater, the prices can be outrageous.