Spending Money Behind Latest Technology

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by naruto100 • Dec 29, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Just recently, I have seen digital infrared thermometer for measuring the body temperature. Well, it is new technology where we can have readings just by nearing it to our body. We are having normal thermometer at our home in which we have to put it in our mouth for measuring purpose. So I guess it should be enough for the purpose.

But I have seen many people go for the latest technology stuff and spend more money. Even I do it, but not for all the things. I mean I can handle with the old stuff like the above thing I mentioned. What you say?

2. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    You are right about this. There are many people who spend on latest technology frequently until it has become a lifestyle. I think it is okay to use the old ones if they serve you well.

Personally, I would only get latest items on discount since most of them don't have reviews and so it will be hard to know if they will last. And I will also get something I am sure I need and not because it is trendy.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid the impulse purchase these days. It can be really painful if you ask me. Most of the things that are kind of rushed these days as it is. And you have to be really concerned about things. Another thing is that most of the latest project requires a lot of effort on our end.

4. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I always feel contented with what I have and doesn't bother about what the new technology try to showcase in the sense that it is simply a way we can get to waste money. I only change my device when I notice that what I have has developed a fault and needs a change.

5. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I think you're right on the fact that it's an impulse purchase and the way they make those technologies look tries to touch the emotions of buyers and that has worked pretty well for them.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's good to invest in some technology, let's say a good laptop or smartphone, but in what concerns digital thermometers, forget it, I've tried them, and they don't work as well as the traditional ones. IMO, it's a matter of picking the right technology to invest in.

7. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really have the money to buy the latest technology. Though, to be honest, I wouldn't buy anything that's unproven anyway, like @to7update@to7update said, digital thermometer could be inferior to the classic one. Just because something is new, doesn't mean that its necessarily better than the old technology.
    One example of this are LCD displays, when that technology was still new. Sure, they were much lighter, and emitted less electromagnetic radiation, but they've had an awful picture quality compared to CRT's.

8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's what I mean too. Even I like to spend money on some latest stuff and technology. But it depends on product. Surely I will not spend anything in digitial thermometer which I mentioned in starting. I guess even manual one is working fine and its not like it can save lots of time. So I guess if technology is really helping you then it is okay to spend, otherwise spending money just two get new thing is not necessary for me.

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    True, it is like their lifestyle now. And for them it is surely normal thing. Even I don't mind spending money on latest stuff. But only if it is really helpful. In thermometer case, I don't think I need to spend anything extra for latest technology as even manual one is doing fine. So it depend on product too.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we need to use our heads and see an investment as such, and not as an expense. In my whole life (you can laugh haha) I only had one laptop, it has 11 years old, and it's still up and running with Windows 7 and upgraded memory to 3GB. It was expensive at the time, but it has proven to be a great investment.

11. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    My mother always say that I should be contented on what I have. I should buy what I only need. I only buy technology or gadgets whenever they are broken or 0% chance of getting it fixed. I totally agree with you that people spend on the latest technology stuffs, I think this is because of bandwagon or they just like to try new things.

12. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I do try to keep myself updated every 4 or 5 years. But when I update I don't buy the high-end gadgets. I tend to buy midrange and they are more than enough for my needs and I end up saving a lot of money. I am not knocking anyone who buys the latest and greatest high-end gadgets. I just don't have that kind of money.

13. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes they just go for it because they want to try out new stuff. Sometimes I do it, but not for the thing like which I mentioned above. But surely I avoid unnecessary spend if I can handle the things with old stuff. It new technology is really helpful and saving time then I won't mind spending money on that, but if is just for attraction then surely I won't go for it.