Spend More On Dog Food?

Discussion in Pets started by Heather B • Mar 29, 2015.

1. Heather B

Heather BNew Member

Threads:
    I have two dogs, one is 33 pounds and the other is 105 pounds. Right now I feed them a Kroger brand dog food called Luvsome. It seems to be well balanced, and it doesn't cost too much. I worry about their health, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pay more to get a dog food such as Blue Buffalo with premium ingredients. One dog is 11 years old and the other is 3 years old. I would like to keep them as healthy as possible. Any suggestions?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How long have you been feeding your dogs with the cheaper dog food? Have you noticed any decline in their health of late? If you have then maybe it's time to buy them "different" dog food.

But if the dogs are just fine . . . why should you spend more on dog food?

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I use dog food that is typically considered premium - no corn, no wheat, no grains of any kind. Meats as the main ingredients. It's more expensive BUT if my specific dog has the cheaper foods he has frequent upset tummy and is itchy all over, requiring medication and sometimes injures himself scratching or chewing at his skin. It's cheaper to buy the more expensive food than to have the more frequent vet visits for my sensitive senior. That works for us. I'm not saying it always works but sometimes it matters.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's always best to give them the best things you can afford. Period. If you cannot afford to feed them better than you really have no choice. However if you can afford it than you should buy them something higher in protein content. It's generally better for them.

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I use Beneful for my big dane/shephard mix. I wouldn't say it's expensive but it's definitely not the cheapest out there. Years ago, my vet asked me what I was feeding him, when I told him, he said it was a fine choice. Now, my vet before him always tried to guilt me into buying the very expensive 'prescription' pet food that is only sold at the vet's office. My current vet told me most of the pet foods available in stores was perfectly fine for a healthy dog, except Old Roy (the Walmart brand). He said of all the dog foods out there, it was the least nutritious that he knew of. He didn't try to sell me his specialized brand or talk me into buying anything unnecessary, so I consider his advice to be valid!

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I am feeding my puppy Purina Pro Plan, and the price is somewhere in the middle. The first ingredient is chicken, and he seems to do well on those. Blue Buffalo is too expensive for me to afford. Have you consider making your own dog food? Chicken and rice and vegetable seem to be perfect! It is easy and fast.