Souvenirs

Discussion in Travel started by difrancprod • May 4, 2013.

1. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    What are the most common souvenirs you buy when you travel? I love T-shirts and mugs that I actually collect them!

2. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    I love magnets. My refrigerator is filled with magnets of the places I travel to. It has to be the icon or a symbol of the country I went to. My partner, on the other hand, collects Hard Rock caps. In all our travels, part of it is to go and visit Hard Rock Cafe. We make sure we schedule one dinner or lunch there. And he buys caps as souvenirs.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not much of a fan of souvenirs, honestly. Whenever I buy one, they just add to the clutter of my house. If there was something unique about a particular item, I'd pick it up, but I'm not much for buying the tourist-aimed items. I'd rather just spend the money on bettering my experience on that particular country. :)

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also not a big fan of buying souvenirs, but I do love to send everyone a postcard to my family and friends. If there's something special about the area I'm visiting, then I may purchase a few things.

5. kerri

kerriNew Member

Threads:
    I'm such a tight wad. I buy my souvenirs on Ebay, and save a lot of money. A souvenir is simply an item that reminds you of your journey and experiences right? So does it matter where you purchased it?
    Souvenirs usually carry a high mark-up. I will only buy one on the trip if the price is reasonable. The exception would be postcards. I love postcards, especially the funny ones.

6. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    My mother collects mugs but I don't really "collect" anything because I buy different souvenir type things depending on where I go. I do enjoy getting chocolate from the places I visit because I love chocolate, and it's also a very practical souvenir to give if you want to bring something home for your family or friends.

7. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I love buying souvenirs. I used to have to have a t-shirt from every new place I visited, but then they started getting more expensive (just like everything else). So lately I have started picking up shot glasses for souvenirs. They usually only cost around 2 to 3 dollars each and they are small so they don't take up much room.

8. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    In the past few years, I've started collecting Christmas ornaments from around the world. They have to be representative of the country they're from (and made by a native of the country, not from China). My favorites so far are the yak (made with real yak hair!) from Tibet and the julbok from Sweden.

9. burdianex

burdianexNew Member

Threads:
    my common souvenirs I buy when travel t shirt printed where country where I am. :)

10. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to buy mugs if I buy souvenirs at all. They're more useful than magnets or postcards or other common souvenirs and I tend to drop them occasionally, so it's always good to have spares.

11. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy souvenirs that I can use and not ones that just sit on a shelf. If its something I can use like a bag, a shirt or even something as mundane as an umbrella (yes I've bought a souvenir umbrella) it brightens my day. I remember that special vacation time and it helps me get through gloomy days.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Postcards are a pretty good way of keeping record of the places you go, specially for me, because i have a folder of memories, and that always come as a good thing to keep.

13. SuperSecretSanta

SuperSecretSantaNew Member

Threads:
    I buy stamps and postcards. I used to just collect them for myself, but once my nieces and nephews were in grade school, I started sending them. They were such a hit with the kids that I started mailing them to other family members as well. It's been twenty years now and they still ask me to add to their collections. :)

14. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I love keyrings and postcards. I have to buy at least three different keyrings and three postcards from whatever country we go too :D. I like all sorts of souvenirs though to be honest. I love walking round gift shops when we go on holiday. I always end up coming out with lots of different gifts for different people :)

15. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    I don't like the advent of buying souvenirs from gift shops, because the items are often overpriced and meant for travelers to spend egregiously for something that isn't worth much. I like the uniqueness of going to random shops and getting something that isn't often intended to be purchased by tourists. You get to take a little bit of the country home with you. I like visiting music stores, I can get something cultural and practical/fun like a shaker.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm also not a fan of buying souvenirs, although sometimes if I see something cute then I'll buy it, like a key chain.

17. 10theMCEE

10theMCEENew Member

Threads:
    I like travelling and I do love trying native delicacies as well! I would usually buy food from the place I visited; something which won't get spoiled until I get home. I give it away then to family members and friends. I love seeing them enjoy a part of my trip and I believe it is best shared through food. This is my way of making memories as 'souvenirs'.