Souvenier Ideas

Discussion in Travel started by SEA81 • May 20, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I am going to be traveling soon and have promised some family members who won't make the trip this year that I'll bring them back some souvenirs. The thing is, they've been to this area a thousand times, so I don't want to get anything that a typical tourist would buy, but I don't want to spend a ton of money. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks!

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Have -they- been there before, though? Just because you have been and want to avoid touristy stuff, doesn't mean they wouldn't love it.

But to answer the actual question, how about something food-related? Find a food that really represents or is unique to the area and bring back enough to share with several people. It's a lot better than a magnet, no?

3. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Where are you even going, though, specifically?

Like you, I hate the average souvenir you buy in souvenir shops, so I try to be creative. For instance, I just went to a beach recently, so what I did was gather a bit of sand and shells/corals in the shore, then I placed them in this tiny bottle and wrapped a ribbon around it. I gave it to my friends as a souvenir and they really liked it, and they really appreciate the fact that I sort of made it myself.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I also look for food-related souvenirs specific to the area. Another option is to buy something useful or decorative, such as a spoon rest, thermometer or towel, with tasteful decoration rather than 'I love Benidorm,' or something similar. Or buy a print of the area, or a wall hanging. They're usually very reasonable if you buy them from street markets rather than tourist shops.

5. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    How about taking some great pictures of the local scenery and having them framed. You can get cheap frames at a dollar store. That way they can look at them and remember their own good times at the location.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of bring back something like shells or pebbles and making a gift from it for them. You could also try going into their local shops and farmers markets for creative and inexpensive gifts, too. If you do buy local food items, make sure that you can transport it without it going bad on you. I had that happen once when I bought chocolates, they had melted together into one big clump by the time I got them home.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I also think something food related would be cool. Something locally made and specific to the area. Otherwise trinkets or some little toys. The other ideas on this thread are very good actually. So, I think you have many options. I am sure they just want to know that you thought of them.

8. Jessi

Threads:
    Absolutely! I realized a few years back that several of the things I'd bought as souvenirs for myself over the years were pretty useless. And even worse, they were things I wouldn't actually use/wear/display because they had a city name plastered across it. Now I buy more meaningful items that mean something to me instead or represent a place I went. For example, in San Diego, I got to see pandas up close and personal for the first time and it was incredible...so instead of buying something that said 'I went to the San Diego zoo, yay me!" I got something that showed a gorgeous panda that I'll actually use.

9. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I love that idea! I remember when I was little and my grandparents would go to beach and I couldn't come, they'd bring me back a jar of sand with shells in it. I think I still have some of that somewhere! Ha!

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I won't recommend a shirt that says "I LOVE (name of place)" hehe that seems to be overrated but I understand that it's the thought that counts. But if you want to be more creative, then go for the native items of the place you're visiting like something that can't be found in your hometown. I always give Refrigerator magnets though, it's not that creative and it's probably typical but they'd remember me the first thing in the morning whenever they go look for breakfast. :)

11. Jessi

Threads:
    I hate those things. They're almost as bad as the shirts that say "Somebody who loves me went to PLACE and brought me this shirt." Like...uh...gee thanks? lol

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Send them postcards! LOL! Just kidding. My idea of this is to bring them a coin from a country that I visited as a souvenir. This is what I always do when I am travelling. i don;t know about them.. If you are just travelling near, maybe foods could be a good gift. native stuffs could also be good. If you want cheap things then settle for key chains. All of us needs key chains.

13. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    I used to do the normal touristy thing myself also. I would bring home tons of key chains and irritating trinkets that everyone loses 5 minutes after you give them. Personally I don't thing the postcard idea is so terrible. I think it would be a fun idea to buy some of the cheap postcards that every single gift shop in the world has, then take a picture of yourself at the same place as the postcard picture and attach it to the back. They get a pretty and professional picture of a place and also get to see you standing in the same place.

14. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Go to craft stores in the area and find something that represents the area in an interesting way. I'm assuming you want to stay away from shot glasses, t-shirts and postcards. Maybe you could find some homemade items, like food or jewelry.

15. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Well where exactly are you going? I would probably try to find some local craftsmen or something and by something unique that was made by the people of the area, but depending on where you are traveling that may not be possible.

16. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    Im a foodie so I like to receive food gifts from different areas that I can't buy at home and I'm sure you can find something inexpensive.

17. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I usually get my family when I travel is something for their kitchen, Whether it be a wooden spoon with the location carved into it or a hot plate mat. I find things like this are useful and won't just end up collecting dust somewhere. Another great idea is to buy Christmas ornaments.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think key chains that have designs related to the place that you're visiting would make good souvenir gifts, also small pouches with a design or name of the place that you have visited would also be a good idea. I actually have received those kind of gifts already.

#18Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot and I never fail to buy souvenir items from those places I visit, more for presents to people at home and some for myself. In my earlier travels, I used to buy keychains and can openers but lately they seem to be obsolete, people don't like it anymore. With t-shirts, the same thing, not fashionable to give as coming home presents anymore. What I buy now for souvenir are display items particularly figurines that are quite expensive.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As souvenirs I like to get food because it's something that's practical, tastes good and people love food. One thing though you got to have space to pack it to bring it back with you. When our friends or relatives go to Vegas, our 9th island as we say in Hawaii, the best souvenir, is their beef stick and beef jerky to get. :)One last thing is the weight when boarding to watch about bringing back souvenirs.