Smartphone vs. Dumbphone?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Mafdet • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Really, the two major reasons I'm glad I have a smartphone is having a GPS and having Spotify Premium with me wherever I go. Both really come in handy when running long errands for work, or when I'm in a new town. Now, I can find where I need to go with ease, and not have to fiddle with the radio while I do it!

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I HAD a smartphone. I loved various things about it. What I don't love are the ways people become idiots with them. Can't think for themselves, can't live life without having a device strapped to them. I didn't want to become one of those people. When I had it, I had FaceBook addiction even worse than I did with the PC.

Problem solved. The family switched to the T Mobile family plan and my At@T phone was not compatible. YA HOO! It gave me a handy excuse to go back to a dumb phone. Man, they are HARD to find! Anyhow, Walmart had one, so ta da, back to just a phone being a phone.

I feel so FREE.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, great thread really especially because I never had a smartphone and to be honest I don't feel the need for it. But hey, my phone is no dumbphone! It's a pretty clever phone, it makes calls, sends SMS and it even has some games and mp3, what else do I need? :)

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently using a smartphone but to be honest, whenever I'm with my mother who has a basic phone, I prefer to use hers when I do some calling. It is small, light, and simple.

The only thing I like about smartphone is the messaging system, the camera, the size of it's screen, and because I can use it for working. That means I don't really use my smartphone for calling.

5. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    My iPhone completely replaced all other phones. I don't even have a land line anymore. no need for it. When I'm at home I use a text app which allows me to also talk using it. Incoming calls are free, so it's all I use when at home. I'm always on the internet, so you can say that I am a happy smart phone user. I do not know how I lived without one before. I did not have a smart phone until the iPhone 3 was out. I was happy with my simple flip phone up until I purchased my first iPhone and never looked back.

6. Moriarty

MoriartyNew Member

Threads:
    Smartphones are great but they're really not as necessary as people seem to think they are. As long as you can make and receive phone calls and text messages then you're probably good to go. I have a smart phone but I definitely don't "need" it and if I were looking to cut down on how much money I was spending downgrading my phone is probably where I would start. Being able to get on the internet anywhere is great but for a lot of people smartphones are three hundred dollar angry bird machines and that's definitely not worth it.

7. foodietr

foodietrNew Member

Threads:
    Yes I feel that way. That is why I still use a Nokia 206 for all my calls and SMSes. On the other hand, I use an iPod Touch 5th generation for my browsing, whatsapp etc. This is to break the barriers between my commitments to the older generation and because of necessity of IM, I had to have a smart device, hence my iPod. I feel technology is becoming more and more redundant with the passing day, and it is better to stick to the simple old tools.

8. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I had an old basic phone until about 6 or 7 months ago. I can honestly say that I haven't looked back. I can do so much more on my smartphone then I ever could on my old phone. I couldn't even access the internet on my old phone. The phone I have right now, the Samsung Galaxy S4 does everything that I want a phone to be able to do.

9. Dola1991

Dola1991New Member

Threads:
    Smartphone all the way. Smartphones are essentially pocket based laptops. I can do almost everything I do on my laptop on my smartphone. "Dumbphones" are just dumb, unless you are in an emergency situation. Smartphone have really impacted my life in a positive way.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think smartphones are definitely better since they can do anything all the old phones and exponentially more. The only thing I really miss about feature phones was their size, since it became a trend back then to make phones smaller and smaller while with the smartphone wave, the trend has become to make them even bigger, which is really a pain for when you wear tight clothes since it really sticks out in your pocket. It's still worth the features you are able to do with it, though, and a larger screen does still provide for better browsing and video viewing anyway.

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I love the features of the smartphone but I cannot also totally discard my basic bar phone. When I commute and go to the crime-infested areas downtown, that's the time when my basic phone becomes invaluable. I just put the phone in my pocket without worrying about damaging the LCD. I can bring it out and use it confidently not worrying about phone snatchers, since no one will take interest in a dumbphone.

When I'm in a secure place indoors or in a car, that's the time I use the smartphone with peace of mind. For these reasons, I have both types of phones.

12. thymeless

thymelessNew Member

Threads:
    I've recently bought a HTC One (M8) in the hope that it would've been as advertised from their well-made and mesmerizing commercials, ultimately to be used by me and especially by my household, as I'm not particularly interested in these kind of devices. Upon buying it, I must confess I was dissapointed with its dreadful performances. I was dissapointed mostly because I fell for their bait, as this amount of money wasn't really something truly spectacular. Despite my anger, my family members seemed to enjoy it for a particular reason. It was good partially as I would've kept them busy whilst doing my hard routine without bothering to actually argue with them for trivialities. I would suggest everybody to remain with their old-fashioned phones because you don't truly need to brag with anything, not even with these gimmicky "smart"phones. I currently use a 2008 Nokia which had managed to fully content me before buying that burden.

#32Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  13. bmarks

bmarksMember

Threads:
    It's interesting to see that there is even a question like this in this age. Refreshing, maybe. With that said though, I love smartphones. They make life so much easier, and it wasn't until I got a proper smartphone that I really felt like I was living in the 21st century. I'd definitely feel lost without my phone if something were to happen to it, but there are a lot of things in life like that, and I'm sure if it were to happen I would adjust eventually.

14. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Perhaps smartphones need a dumbphone app for when you just need an actual phone. Video can be nice, and having access to the internet can be handy, but make the phone part work/

15. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I recently decided to buy a new phone. My smart phone became quite dumb over the past 4 years, with most of it's smart functions not working properly anymore. I even had problems receiving calls, so it was definitely the right time to buy a new one. I wanted to buy a dumb phone with a QWETY keyboard. To my surprise, there were no such phones available! I would either have to buy the ordinary dumb phone with the usual keyboard or a smart phone. So I chose a 4.3" HTC Desire 300. I'm happy with it, but I don't use it much. I only have a few apps installed, but those are pretty handy! Duolingo, for instance, helps me learn French!

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love my smartphone, mainly because I am more of a techie and I work in web design and internet marketing, so it's a necessity for me. I would never switch back to an older non-smartphone as my main phone line. I did purchase a pre-paid one though a few years ago to take with me while traveling since the battery life on smartphones is notoriously low, but I haven't used it in a while since I haven't been traveling. It was a total life saver for me though when I got stuck at an airport at 3 in the morning and they lost my luggage which had my keys and smartphone charger in it though. I couldn't even call anyone for help if I didn't have that backup older phone, since my smartphone was nearly dead by the end of the day.

My parents on the other hand, refused to even touch a smartphone. My mom doesn't have a cell phone at all and refuses to get one. My dad has a cell phone, the old clam shell kind, which he uses a lot to chat with his family, but I cannot get him to switch to a smartphone. He recently expressed interest in getting on my T-Mobile plan with me and wanted to know what kind of phones they offered. They currently only offer one clam-shell phone, which has horrible reviews and a terrible battery life from what I read. I kept trying to explain to him, that if you are going to get one of their "free" phones, you are much better off going with one of their entry level smartphones than with that cheap-o clam shell phone which is likely worth far less. Some of these smart phones, such as my Galaxy Note 3, even offer an "Easy Mode" which I showed him, but he won't budge.

17. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have one of these phones for dealing with football club business, because the battery life on these is absolutely amazing! All I need it for is to make/take calls and send/receive messages. I wish they could give the smartphones even half the battery life of these dumbphones. :)

18. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I love my smartphone. There is so much that I can do on it, not to mention I can play games while traveling. I would never switch back to a button (dumb) phone. I even work from home by using my phone.

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I still love using dumbphones. I still use my flip phone when I travel because it's easily more portable than my bulky Galaxy S4. Also if you lose a dumbphone there's not as much regret as it is when you lose an iPhone for example.

20. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    It all depends on what you use your 'phone' for. If you are they type of user who needs a device to do all sorts of things and or you need access to data that cannot be retrieved on a dumbphone, or if you are a teenager today, then a smartphone is for you. However, for people who have more problems with technology (parents, grandparents, etc.) and if you need your phone to be used for calling/texting and longer battery life, and you would rather spend the extra cash on more minutes/texts than a phone, then you would want a dumb phone.