Sleeping In Tents And Staying At Parks

Discussion in Travel started by Jason76 • May 29, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes this can be a way to save money - considering that motels and hotels can be a drain on finances and recreational vehicles, RVs, can be much the same. Anyway, what are some more pros to such travel as well as some cons? Well, one negative thing might be the fact crime would be more of a threat.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The year was 1980 when my parents went to Baguio City. It is called the summer capital because of the cool climate. It was Holy Week and that city was full of local tourists. I followed them on the next day and I was surprised that they had pitched a tent right there in Burnham Park. And what can I do? I stayed with them in that tent together with my brother and his family. There was a nearby public bathroom and toilet plus lots of eateries around. It was like a camp out except that we were in a public part. It was fun. However, I don’t think that park would allow tents now.

3. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Its seems like a more interesting and pleasing way to travel today since the price of RV sites seem to go up everyday. I would get more creative and plan my trips out a head of time as far as the tent camping goes,also try to dry camp or sometimes they call it boondocking(camping without water,sewer,and electric). You can camp for free for up to two weeks someplaces like the national forest areas and also the bureau of land management. Its pretty safe as well because most crime happens in the city not the wilderness,and usually a creepy driver showing up in the middle of nowhere and scaring campers is unlikely.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @FolkArtist@FolkArtist That's not as easy as it seems. Note, I tried that once but got in trouble with cops. The actual truth is that certain areas of US national parks are open for camping. Anyway, I'm sure the reason the cops block so much camping is that those areas would be hiding place for fugitives and possibly they couldn't monitor wild animals well there, leading to attacks on kids etc..

#4May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen that happen much around here since parks are not pleasant here but I have seen people done so at the beach. I would personally be afraid to stay there incase the tide gets to high or the weather gets rough. I have seen people putting their tents out and even have inflatable beds I have only seen this about five times but I'm not sure about their experience.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    That is a brilliant idea provided you are backed up with enough supplies and you aren't trespassing.

I haven't really camped as on road trips but that certainly saves a lot of cash.

Thismay be especially useful while travelling without very young kids. I just came back from a very long road trip and surely there was no ideal place for camping anywhere on the way.

7. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's not that much easy as it seems, I also heard about a serial killer who hunts people in Yosemite Park or may b in Yellowstone was caught by police but ran away once again. What say have you ever heard anything like that?

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what...with the way homeless people are found in parks, it's best to leave it be and find a deal on staying at a hotel, maybe. Though many can call 211 a free phone call, to help the homeless, guess no one knows about it and the govt. doesn't post a flyer about it. Locally I saw a flyer by the bus stop, that the sidewalk will be cleaned, The bus stop had a lot of homeless people camping by it. If the govt. can post a clean sidewalk why can't they post a flyer about 211? Anyway, I feel it's best to stay at a hotel when traveling especially travelling abroad. I constantly see the commercial about trivago. I went to the site and found very inexpensive hotels that's nice and clean. Camping is not a good thing now days, I feel hotels are safer. Try trivago.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I used to visit a beautiful lake area in the UK where they had a holiday park which consisted of caravans, chalets and a camping site for tents and campervans. (My profile pic was taken there).

This year I notice they are getting rid of the camping site to build new chalets because they have realised this is where the money will be made. This is happening more often here which is a shame as for people who don't have a lot of money it was a nice cheap holiday alternative.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    This can be quite fun, though I am not sure if this is allowed in every place. My neighbors were just talking about going camping. I think with the tents they bought, they can also go traveling around, setting their tents and staying at the park. It's a different experience for traveling, and as you said, it saves cost too.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My friend lived in an RV for a year after she sold her house and she said in some places it was difficult and ended up costing more in camps. They were safer and had facilities, but for a single person it did cost more and even though security was an issue she had dogs.

I think it can work out as long as you plan where you want to go rather than turn up and try to find somewhere. There are lots of sites and forums that advise on the best places to go and it's worth planning it if you are going to go for a week or so.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't risk staying in a park or sleeping at tents nowadays if the local government allows that at all. The local police and social welfare department are already having a difficult time driving homeless people/children away from parks and into shelters. No, I don't think it's a good idea. I'd rather save up for a vacation or go to paid leisure parks that are secure and have good amenities.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in New South Wales, Australia it's a popular way of spending time in parks, river banks and beaches. Almost everyone keeps a folding tent in his car while going to such places. In case you need a bigger tent it's easily available. The best part of the story is that BBQ facilities are available in every park and picnic spots so you can enjoy your picnic and food at the same time. Check it here what you can do in public parks here- (not a promotional or ref-link)

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Years ago I spent nights in a park. I did not spend night in the park just because I wanted to save money. I lived in the park because I was robbed and I did not have money to spend the night in the hotel. I have also lived in tents. When I go for trekking I spent nights in the tent because it was cheaper option compared to the motel.