Should You Save Money On A Hard Drive Or Buy An Ssd ?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mbuzma • Jan 9, 2018.

1. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to give my advice on what you should buy here.
    Let's start with capacity. You can easily get a 1 TB harddrive for the price of a 120/128 GB SSD, which is just a huge difference. If you need lots of capacity, you should choose a hard drive no question, but make sure you backup your data regularly, because if the HD drive dies there is a good chance you won't be able to recover at least some of your data.
    Durability - SSD's have a limited number of read/write cycles, but are otherwise more durable since there are no mechanical moving parts, which can easily fail in a HD. SSD manufacturers have increased the read/write limit exponentially in recent years , but still if you constantly delete/install stuff for whatever reason, you should avoid SSD's as the chances are that in that circumstance it would fail before a hard drive would.
    Performance - SSD's are much faster, period. You could easily halve your system boot-up time with one, as opposed to a hard disk, and they are good with large apps which often need to read a lot of data in a small amount of time, such as games.
    The best idea however would be to combine an HDD and an SSD in your PC, if you have the money. For an average home/business user who won't usually need a large drive, it would probably be best to buy a 240 GB SSD which are about 50 % more expensive than 120 GB ones, but obviously have double the capacity.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good advice. My usual problem is the capacity of the stirage of my laptop drive. With your idea, I may increase it and my files are properly secured.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    On one fine day when I was working my laptop just shut down on its own and it didn't turn back on. When I pressed the power button I heard continuous beep sound and it doesn't turn on. So I finally managed to turn it back on by removing the battery and connecting to the power supply. So in that time I backed up all of my work and important files in my drive and soon after everything was backed up it died again and I could never turn it back on. So what I did was I bought a 1 TB hard drive and now I have everything backed up in that too. So now I have made it regular to back up my files. I will have your advice in mind my friend. Thanks for sharing.

4. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I am going to stick to mechanical hard drives until an SSD is the same size and price as a regular hard drive. I am not worried about a few second quicker loading time. A game isn't going to start until all the player's load anyway. So even if you load the game in 2 seconds your still going to have to wait for the slowest guy.

5. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    It's going to take a LONG time for the prices to fall to that level, if they ever do. Loading time improvements are pretty big especially in single player open world games, though of course that may not be the case in MP games. Personally I'm waiting until 512 GB SSD's become cheap enough, as 240 GB is still too little capacity for me.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I see technology as an investment, so for me is 100% SSD even if it costs more because that is the future, and also the present, and in a couple of years HDD will be completely obsolete. Nothing like making a good investment so that the computer lasts longer.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    A Tb capacity is good for gamers and file hoarders. If you are not a gamer, an average capacity hard disk is good enough as long as you have cloud storage. I save my files at Google drive these days. It is great for emergencies like hard disk or processors getting broken.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a nagging issue to me because it’s been more than a year when I planned to buy an SSD. I liked the design particularly that it has no moving parts like the HDD which makes it susceptible to breakdown. However, I still have to get more information about the SSD especially the experience of users. The HDD is time tested and the SSD is yet to have a track record. My question is the durability and the reliability so until now my plan remains on hold.