Should parents take their kids for a holiday at least once?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jun 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People gain some new experiences when they travel. This can be especially good for children who have not been exposed to other cultures to learn and know that there's isn't the best nor the only way people live in the world. However considering the fact that money is pretty tight these days and because of that most people would prefer taking their kids camping close-by, do you think parents should [if they can] travel to some exotic place with their kids so they can see more of the world?

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Not if it is to the same place as me!

If parents want to take their children on holiday then it should be during school holidays (here in the UK if you take your children on holiday during term time then you are fined and repeat offenders go to jail) and it should be somehwere that caters for children. Noisy rude little brats!!

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Most family vacations involve more sitting on the beach or hitting the amusement park rather than exploring other cultures. I think there is a lot of benefit to taking the kids out camping and visiting other places but I don't think it is beneficial to take them out of country. The children need to be a little older to understand the difference in culture and small children in places like museums and other heritage sites can be annoying to all.

Take them to the ocean and let them explore - they will enjoy it and it is cheaper than traveling abroad. Take them camping or fishing and give them these sorts of experiences when they are young. There is plenty of time to travel but it can wait until they are old enough to appreciate it.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I will not take my kid to travel to far away place before she knows what exactly it means. I prefer to go for a few day trips with her somewhere close, safe, clean, and peaceful so she can enjoy her time as a kid.

But when she is older then of course no doubt I will want to be able to travel with her whenever we can.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family always traveled during the summer break. Some of my best memories are from that time. As a kid, I thought all of California was like Los Angeles. Traveling exposed us to different parts of the state. California is really a beautiful place. We visited other states too. Exposure to different cultures was a big deal since we have many, many different cultures right in the city.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's entirely necessary, especially nowadays that all information and visualizations can pretty much be accessed online and we also have thousands of other resources such as travel shows on TV. I'd agree that it can be helpful, but I see it more just as a bonus so it's certainly not an obligation in my opinion. I've come across a lot of well traveled people that I don't find very smart, and conversely, I've also met a lot of very smart people who have never been out of the country.

7. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Yes of course. Going on holidays abroad can be so fun and exciting, especially for a child who's never been on one before. However as you said, money can be tight these days, so a holiday abroad should only be considered if there is actually enough money in the bank to afford it, and not worry about it too much.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, why not? My parents always took me to a holiday when I was a kid. And although they took me, they could still have time together. They just live me in the room or put me somewhere appropriate for me where other kids and kids alone are gathered together to enjoy. And besides I think they feel less worried by bringing their kids along with them for a travel than leaving them with someone. They feel more comfortable this way.

9. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure a child coudld appreciate a trip abroad. I guess it is all according on how much money you have to spend. I think children enjoy camping, and big amusement parks way better than some stuffy old museum. But that is not all kids, some do like the museums, there are plenty of those right here at home for them to explore. It all depends on the famiy, tha's just my opinion :).

10. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    My parents took me to Israel and Greece when I was eight. And even though it was quite an adventure, I found myself missing my younger sisters who had stayed behind with my grandparents. We also had friends who had made the trip at the same time, so I did have a friend to hang out with, even if it was for only a day. So I have mixed feelings. I think it depends on your children. How mature they are and whether or not they are the adventurous type.

#10Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014