Should I buy or adopt?

Discussion in Pets started by daimashin • Dec 16, 2013.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking about getting a pet cat. Which way should I go, buy one from a pet store or adopt one from a shelter? If I opt to adopt what are the procedures to go through. Does buying one cost more? This is the first time I'm getting a pet and I'm totally lost here.

2. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest you do some research on what to expect from a shelter cat or any other pet before you adopt one.

Usually, you can find a procedure they go through via their website. If they do not have a website then you can call up a local place and receive a run down on what to expect. Obviously, there will be some paper work and many other things.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, guess I'll have to start searching for them. Are the processes standard as in the procedures are the same regardless of which place I get a cat from? Please excuse me for my questions, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to pets.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Ring up a shelter and ask some questions. I have always believed that adopting is a great thing to do and you can provide a nice home to an animal that may have been neglected before. However, a common issue that I have heard about is that adopting pets from a shelter can sometimes come with the downside that they can be quite disobedient due to their previous owners.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My knee-jerk reaction is to say adoption all the way, but honestly it probably would be best for you to research and see what will work best for your situation. Do you have certain allergies to worry about and need a certain breed? Are you wanting a young or older animal? Are you especially picky for some other reason, or is a mixed breed/tomcat okay with you? If you think you're up for adopting, I'd look into the different options in your area. Sometimes they'll have 'specials' around this time of year- we got a cat from the humane society in our area during their 1 weekend a year where they do a "home for the holidays" event where cats are $10 and dogs are $20, and that includes up to date vaccines, spay/neuter and microchip. But if you can't find something like that going on, you could be paying a lot more depending on where you go and how much the animal needs done. Not to mention first vet visits just to get them established with someone.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're looking for a particular breed of cat, then I suggest that you just buy one instead, but if you're not really particular on which breed of cat that you would like to have, then I suggest that you just adopt, it would be so much better and fulfilling on your part to be able to give an unwanted cat a home.

JessiFox also shared some important info that you need to know about adopting a cat, and I think that $10 to $20 is a small sum to pay for adopting, so just adopt a cat if you're not particular about owning a specific type of breed.

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    If you find a shelter with a gallery on their website, read each description but take it with a grain of salt. My old cat was everything stated and then some. Long story short, she was very restless and playing with or eating around her stimulated her more.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We never buy a pet because there are people always giving us. Right now I have an offer of a pure pekingese that is very expensive but I refused simply because we already have 3 dogs in the house. It would be too difficult to attend to our pets if they become so many. But I guess if no one would give us a pet, I would probably buy because I have been used to having pets.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I had many birds as pets before my parents bought for me a pet dog when I was a teenager, a pure breed Pekingese incidentally, but I was too young and I didn't know how to care for him.

Eventually I wanted to buy a Shar-pei dog, but this was about 5-6 years ago when adopt-a-pet campaigns began to emerge. Adopting a pet was not my ideal choice, much less if not a newly-born puppy, but I thought to give it a go.

Result; I couldn't adopt any dog or cat because the shelters in this city ask for much more requirements that those asked to adopt a children. That's really insane.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since dating my ex girlfriend, I have really seen some of the benefits of adopting over purchasing a new pet. Some of these animals really need a good loving home. Some of them will be really shy and demure, and it can be a beautiful thing to nurture them and see their personality blossom that way.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Always adopt.. those animals deserve a home more than you could imagine. If you decide against adopting, I would still beg you not to support pet store animals unless they too are selling shelter animals. Please look into what you're supporting when you hand over your money. After that I would suggest looking at your local buy and trade websites.. one of mine always has people giving away their pets of all breeds. We got one dog that way.. I had seen her on their forever and nobody wanted her. I knew she was destined for the shelter or street, so I took her in. There are cats by the dozens on there every day because people refuse to be responsible about spaying and neutering. So that may be an option for you as well. You could end up with a sick animal that way though.. or one from a shady breeder, but these are chances you take when you don't go to a shelter, which takes most of the work out of it for you. They won't come fixed with all their shots (for the most part) like most shelter pets, but they will need all that regardless, so the cost should all be around the same in the end.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Often you will see people looking for homes for the litter their pet just had. I would go to the shelter to find a pet that needs a home as my first step in this new adventure. The local animal shelters have all the information you can need to complete an adoption on their website most likely. Good luck.

13. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who looks after and cares for abandoned and mistreated cats and kittens - although obviously somewhat biased because of that - my answer would very definitely be to adopt - especially as there are literally thousands and thousands of beautiful cats and kittens longing for nothing more than to be loved and cared for by someone that they can trust.

However that said - as having any animal as a pet is a responsibility that should never be rushed into - before even thinking of buying or adopting - please make sure that you are fully prepared for the day you find your “ purrfect “ little puss and more importantly that the time is right - meaning - that you will have enough time to devote solely to getting know you new found friend - in order to make it - not only feel comfortable but secure in its new environment.

As for the adoption process - although it varies from place to place - most reputable rescue centers who genuinely care for all their cats and will more often than not - have made them well, got them inoculated as well as spayed or neutered at their own expense - generally ask for nothing more than to check the environment where the cat is going to live and assurance that you are fully prepared for its arrival - plus a small donation to their cause.

14. elvisish

elvisishNew Member

Threads:
    Both times I've gotten a dog has been through adoption from a rescue, much better than buying from a breeder and very rewarding. Just go down to a nice shelter and take a look at them, if you see one you like give them a stroke, play with them a little bit and I think you will really love taking them in :)

15. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    For dogs, I find that adopting often means dealing with training issues and poor socialization or other trouble. It's not impossible but the choice is harder.

For cats, unless you want a specific breed, I say adopt all the way. You can pick up a free kitten easily...but it will need shots, worming, neutering, etc and those can easily go over $100 or more. Or you can buy a cat and have the price of the cat PLUS those things. A shelter cat or kitten is usually in the $20-$50 price range and it's already up to date on shots, worming, FIV tested, and usually either neutered or comes with a certificate for free neutering once it's old enough. Many shelters have cats of all ages, including freshly weaned kittens.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on your preference. Many people tell you do only adopt and look down on people who buy... and I would say adopting is the best thing for the animals. But if you want a breed specifically, if it's your dream to have a dog or cat of that breed then why not?

17. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I would give the edge to adopting. You can get pretty much any kind of animal from a pound, shelter or rescue. But if you want to buy I strongly, vehemently suggest buying direct from breeder and not from a pet store. You can also talk to their previous clients and check them out online. For a young animal you need to see the living conditions and the parents. Otherwise you may be stuck with a poorly bred, diseased puppy mill animal which is expensive up front and even more expensive when the vet bills start piling up.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Unless you are looking to get a specific breed then I'd highly recommend adopting. There are too many animals in shelters that need a home so adopting one could give an animal more of a chance at having a good life. I think there is no fault in buying if that is what you truly want but adopting helps out a lot and it gives you a pet so for me the advantages of it seem to be more. I myself would adopt a lot of them if only I had the space and resources.

19. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Adopting a pet is very rewarding, and can be less expensive than purchasing a new pet from a pet store. Depending on where you decide to adopt from, you may even be save a pet's life! There are many nonprofit places to adopt from, such as your local county's Humane Society, Animal Control for your local county, as well as locally organized pet shelters. Also, many people will put ads on Craigslist for free kittens from time to time, when their cat has kittens but they have no room for them. If you can adopt, I think you'll find it to be a rewarding experience.

20. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I'm with the majority here. Adopting a pet that has lost it's home is the best way to add one to yours. Shelters and Humane Societies are hurting for people to adopt animals that have been abandoned and abused. If you are worried that your adoptive cat or kitten will have trouble adjusting to you and your environment ask the staff if they have a favorite. They may try not to tell you but they will at least hint around at the best behaved and easily handled because they truly want your adoption to work.