Should I buy myself a bike?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Ionel • Mar 9, 2014.

1. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Will the bike save you money on transit fares? If so then get it and put aside the money you will be saving on fares for that computer upgrade.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have a bike for my exercise. It is a good activity because it develops not only your physical strength but also your mental conditioning. When I feel stressed out, I would go for a spin inside our village to ease out my mind. I only stopped biking when my leg developed a swollen muscle that I am taking care of until now. But when I get well, I would be back to biking again.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have the strength and motivation to get on your bike and exercise often at home I would say go for it, however in my experience I have had both bikes and treadmills at home and I will only use them in the beginning. In a few months, I got tired of exercising it on my own house and stopped. So to me was not worth it and I don't plan on doing it again.

4. Jamie Sam

Jamie SamNew Member

Threads:
    i hate bikes . they are f***** transportation . i loss him just because he was biker . :'(

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will always encourage people to purchase bikes as a means of working out, unless their doctors say that they shouldn't. It is one of the most fun ways to get some exercise in, in my opinion. you can play some music, go along biking with someone and have a good time, or just cycle through the streets and let the hustle and bustle soothe you. The only thing is getting the right bike frame for your frame, because I have had issues with that in the past, which made biking very uncomfortable.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ionel@Ionel I like to ride a bike, but I haven't for a few years. I have one on my porch but I think the tires are flat. This area were I live is not a great one for biking. It is kind of hilly. I would use it if it the tires were pumped up though. I do like to bike.

#26Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally yes - as although I've ridden a bike all my life - since taking up cross country mountain biking some twenty plus years ago - I'd even go so far as to say I'm totally hooked on it - in fact so much so - that I go for 2 - 3 hour rides at least 4 to 5 times a week and more if my schedule allows it - as not only is it great fun and totally exhilarating - but I always return feeling fully recharged and able to deal with absolutely anything that is likely to be thrown my way.

So yes - apart from the fact that cycling is without a doubt an excellent form of exercise and suitable for people of all ages - as its non load bearing and therefore kind on the joints - but also bearing in mind that - as living a sedentary lifestyle is now known to be one of the major causes of many chronic diseases - as well as the main reason why many older adults lose their independence - given the choice between that of buying a bike or upgrading a computer - a bike would win hands down every time - particularly as the long term benefits received from investing in my health - would far outweigh the temporary benefit of upgrading my computer

8. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Wowie both sound super cool! If you plan on being outdoors a lot more than inside, you should probably get the bike. If you want to stay inside more, probably should upgrade your gaming computer. That is my opinion of your situation. I want both of that myself. I had a bike when I was little, but I sucked at riding it. I always kept the training wheels on since I was scared to ride without them. I have no clue if I can ride a bike now. I have not got on one since I cannot use training wheels now haha.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's a great way to exercise. I have one and most of my family members have one too. I'd recommend buying a good one and spending a bit more because it really ends up being a good investment, but only if you plan on using it frequently. I find the cheaper bikes break down too easily or are just plain too difficult to pedal for in long distances, whereas a good bike will give you a comfortable ride no matter where you are going. You don't have to spend that much on it either as you could get a decent build for just a little over $200.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon I hadn't ridden a bike in a few years also, until recently. My auntie gave me her bike, so that my older sister and I could go biking though. So I saved a lot of money in that way. But the seat was too high and the frame was too heavy for me, and there were just a lot of things that didn't match up for me as far as my frame. It is best to go and get your own bike tailored to you, for the best biking experience.

#30Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You could get a bike to ride to the store to do some grocery shopping and get some exercise as well at the same time and they call this utilitarian(useful biking)biking, which is cool because you are getting things done and exercising at the same time. Also if you have bad knees or joints the bicycling can be better for these things,because its a nonweight bearing activity. Its a rather cheap thing to get started in also,and if you ride far enough it may even burn more calories than running -because most people can't really run that far anyway?

12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, biking is one of my favorite sports, I also like swimming too. Biking is a good sport, it helps in managing health and you also can see a lot of nice places if you like to travel on your bike. The views seen from the car cannot be compared with the ones you see when you are on your bike.
    I think you should buy one and travel a few days in nature, you will feel much different afterward.

13. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    You should buy the bike because it will help you save on transport costs. A bike is also convenient because there is no place that you can't ride a bike to.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well not only for the practical rasons of having a steady means of transportation, but it also seems like that having one would bring back some good memories for you, which are always nice to have.

15. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    Biking is not my favorite sport but it is second to what I love. I love to ride because it can make me fit and also allows me to travel to one place to another with minimal effort and no cost at all. Nother good point of biking is it is a low maintenance hobby. If you're not that picky with the bike that you want to ride, you can buy second-hand bikes or even build your own bike.

16. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Biking is a great exercise for the body. It will keep your body fit, reduce your obesity and save gas or money. Riding a bike to office or anyplace will relax your mind and you will get fresh morning air.

Playing games is cool as long it is not more than 3 hours a day. It will make you unfit. So I would suggest you to invest your money in a bike.

17. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Biking is at your expense, I don't fancy speedy sports, like Formula 1, Motor Gp, SBK bike race, all these sports are not my thing. I prefer football to any other sports including playing it's game online, it gives me the utmost satisfaction when it comes to my choice of leisure.

Maybe it's because we don't have anything like bike sports here in Nigeria that's why I can't really appreciate it because I have seen from the turn up of people watching such sports live shows that it's really fun and that they love it quite well.

So my recommendation to what you asked, I think you should invest in upgrading your gaming computer and not buying a bike. Remember it's been a long time since you actually drove one, so you might be a little rusty and accidents do happen.

18. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I was never into biking growing up so I might sound a bit bias. You should only invest in the money to buy a bike if you are sure you are able to take proper care of it and you really enjoy it. I would try to browse online on some cheap but effective bikes that you can manage just to be on the safe side. You might find something you like.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I believe tha the bike would be the better option when compared to a video game. The bike would also allow you to have fun as the game would but the bike would also present some health and wellbeing opportunities that the game would not allow for. The game is mostly fun and the enhancment of competing capabilities. The bike would provide fitness options, a chance to enjoy the pleasantries of the outdoors which would be better for one`s wellbeing when compared to the couch potato like situation which may come with the game situation.

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Speaking from personal experience, riding a bike does a huge good. Besides keep the health on the rails in the right way, is a great way to save a good money (especially if you use a car as the main means of transportation).