Should Cats & Dogs Visit The Vet The Same Amount?

Discussion in Pets started by JoanMcWench • Mar 20, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    If both are as healthy as any pet seems, should they both go to the vet the same amount. I have a friend who feels my dog should go twice a year & my cat should go once. Really don't understand the logic behind that if there is any. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends on what you, as a pet owner, personally value. Some owners find it necessary to have their pets visit the vet for regular check-ups to avoid future health threats. Others can do what they want with their pets since they're the owners, anyway. However, I don't adopt the same principles. I just try to feed my pet with healthy food and make sure they detoxify every now and then to avoid future problems. Besides, they don't want to be touched by strangers so it's better to just take care of them at home.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's the pet owners choice. Both animals need the same amount of attention. However since I don't like cats and don't have one as a pet, I wouldn't give an expert opinion on them. But dogs . . . a once-year check up is OK.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with Denis Hard that both animals need the same amount of care and attention. I make sure to go to the vet once a year with my dog his for regular check-up. It eases my mind to know that my dog is healthy and has no health threats or whatsover. I become worried when I see something in my dog that doesn't feel right or when he is acting strangely.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess I'm a nit of a negligent pet owner. I have never taken a dog or a cat in for a check up. I get their rabies shots and the rest of the time I don't worry about them unless they seem quite off. I don't really know when was the last time I had to take one in for anything other than their rabies shots.

All of my animals seem quite healthy. Even my two aging cats seem to be in a very good shape.

For the record, I'm not big on going to the doctor myself and I don't do regular physicals, so maybe that's why I don't think of taking my pets in for theirs either.