Shall I Buy My Cat A Necklace?

Discussion in Pets started by Casiox • Aug 21, 2016.

1. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking of buying my new cat one of those necklaces that come with a bell hanging from them, however, I do not really think it's a good idea since he's a little bit grumpy and well, I do not really know if that necklace is going to last a couple of days, should I buy it to him even when I think he's going to drop it or break it?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds quite cute, but would the noise of the bell annoy you, or do you like to know when your cat is creeping into the room? That's the idea of the bell isn't it? Is it for you, or will it make the cat happy. Maybe if it is grumpy this will cheer it up?

If you do buy one. please post pictures, but don't spend too much on it in case it does break or it doesn't like it.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If there is a necessary need for it, by all means. Otherwise, I would wait till he asks for one himself ;)

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    If you are not afraid the cat will wander away from home someday, don't worry too much about purchasing a necklace with a bell hanging from it. Those bell
    necklace are more useful on tiny doggies such as mini pinscher or chihuahua, the former is very restless and has a thing for wanderlust.

5. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, you are going to bell your cat then? Looks like the mice finally found somebody to do it for them. Seriously speaking, I have had many cats before. I have never belled anyone of them. Neither have I put clothes on them. I bathe them regularly and feed them well. Plus let them be themselves. I don't really think cats are made to be belled.

6. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who runs a small rescue center for mistreated and abandoned cats and kittens - I have to be honest and say no I wouldn't even consider it - as apart from the fact that any adornment put on a cat or any animal for that matter - is not for the benefit of the cat's well-being but is in reality done purely to please the owner - think the better option would be to either save your money or put that money towards having it micro-chipped instead - as it would be way kinder to your cat not force it to wear a collar or necklace.

Particularly bearing in mind - that the majority of animal protection organisations generally advise against putting collars, necklaces etc on a cat - for the simple reason that - they can cause harm to the cat - especially as - because its not normal for a cat to wear anything around its neck - not only do a large majority of cats have a tendency to try and remove the collar themselves by either tugging or chewing at it - injuring themselves in the process - and have also been known to swallow bits of collar, bells, name tags etc - as well as - because cats put their heads in the most unlikely of places - collars can get hooked up on things that they would other wise have escaped from.

Apart from which - if you would find the noise of the bell annoying - just imagine how annoying that sound would be to a cat - who not only had to listen to it constantly but whose hearing is way, way more sensitive than that of humans …............

Either way - if you do decide to go ahead - please make sure that you get one that has an easy release mechanism - as they do to some degree limit the possibility of major injury.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn’t get a necklace at all for a cat. My mom is a vet and she is against it. Dogs are fine with collars, but cats are always jumping up and down on places, and there is a chance the collar could sometime get stuck somewhere and choke the kitty…. Not to mention the collars with a bell get annoying after, like, 5 minutes!!!!

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I like to avoid grumpy cats, but I guess it just come down to whether you think he might need it. I do not like to put things on them if they don't need it, but the tag or a bell might be something that would help. That said, when I do see animals with collars or necklaces, when I pet them I try to get up underneath them on their neck and they love it, so I hope that you do this if you choose to get him one. Thanks for sharing.

9. 17emilyhalko

17emilyhalkoMember

Threads:
    Is your cat an outdoor cat and does it have a history of escaping the house if it is only an indoor cat? If so, it might be worthwhile to invest in a collar and give it a name tag. My cat is both an indoor/outdoor cat, and we have never considered giving her a collar! She always comes back to us. I tried to buy my pet chickens a leash and harness once, and they absolutely hated it. I felt bad that I tried! They looked miserable. For this reason, I wouldn't give your cat a collar, unless there's a purpose for the collar.

10. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My older boxer, who has since departed used to love wearing little shell necklaces. I considered them safe enough as they were just cotton with little shells. There was a place that sold them very cheaply and I would buy her a few at a time. I would take it off her at night time and then put one on her in the morning. There was a time when she had an argument with the dog she bred with and her shell necklace broke and all the shells fell to the floor. She was devastated and never spoke to her stud again after that. Although that was amusing, it told me that she really did love her necklaces and understood that they made her look nice. I think you should buy your cat a necklace if you want to. You never know, your cat may just really like it.

11. cardinals27

cardinals27New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do it, especially if he is grumpy. It might look cute for a little bit but to be honest I think he will hate it. Cates don't like stuff like that. On top of that it would annoy you too after a while

12. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    Personally, my cats always snuck out of their collars so I never bothered with fancy collars. The most I ever put on my cat was a flee collar with a tag on it. But if you have an indoor cat, I think it could be kind of fun. I'm sure your cat would get used to it eventually. If not, he'll wiggle out of it eventually.

13. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Good Idea!! :) Need to be very choose that must be pretty and comfortable for you cat as well.
    Something like this...
    [​IMG]