Scammed On Ebay

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Vinaya • Jun 23, 2016.

1. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever been scammed on eBay? I have not been scammed on ebay yet, but I know people who have been scammed on ebay. Ebay has refund and return policy to protect buyers. Some buyers may return the item saying they are not satisfied with the item. When they return the item, you could find it tampered.

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    To be quite honest I am little surprised that I do not hear more about being scammed on Ebay. I do think that my bias is coming out a little bit, because I have had nothing but bad experiences with Ebay, but I guess it is good news to hear that other people are better at it than I was. All I can hope is that there are regulatory mechanisms in place to deal with issues like this. Thanks for sharing.

3. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    The feedback is a powerful tool for keeping things honest and of good quality. If you are not happy with an item sold, you need to report that in the feedback and rate the seller accordingly. Also, if a seller is unhappy with the way someone pays or something like that, they too can report through proper rating and feedback.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been scammed yet, but I'm careful and use common sense. I won't buy from low rated sellers or people with a common trend in their bad reviews and I certainly won't consider the reviews where people are complaining about shipping and other such things out of the sellers control. I rarely purchased from Chinese sellers, but when I did, the above was very helpful in choosing perfectly fine sellers and I never had an issue aside from long waits, which are to be expected. If you expect high quality, priced at mere pennies, the problem isn't the sellers.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly, I have been scammed twice on eBay. Well, once the seller did succeed, but the second time, the cheeky seller wasn't so lucky because my husband and I wouldn't have it LOL Once I bought a set of fake Mac makeup brushes. I mean, I should have smelt a rat because they were dirt cheap, but in my excitement, I just dove straight in because I WANTED those brushes. Next thing I know, I'm getting an email from eBay advising of the scam, by which time it was too late for me.

The other time, my husband bought a Mac desktop, and it never even came on, just kept making this annoying, continuous beep. We persevered for about three days and finally packed it up and told the seller it was on its way back to him, could he refund ALL our money? He actually had the cheek to try and wriggle out of it, claiming there was nothing wrong with it, that he wouldn't accept it back. Long story short, he did, and gave us a full refund. In no time, we saw it re-listed. I feel sorry for whoever ended up with it. We decided to bite the bullet and get one brand new from the Mac store and we're glad we did.

6. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I believe I was scammed once on eBay, but as the seller rather than the buyer. I had sold a CD and shipped it as usual, without a tracking number. My strong recommendation is to always pay the little extra for this important service! While I have no technical proof of it, by gleaning from the way the buyer spoke with me, they had received the item. I did not receive any communication from them until months after the fact. She had alluded to enjoying the item, and didn't mind a scratch on the jewel case, and then immediately said she had not received it. There is much more to the story than that, of course.

Thankfully it was not a high ticket item, but I still would out losing my claim over it. It thankfully did not negatively affect my seller rating, but just wanted to present another side to the coin.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    For buyers, I think it's best to purchase from those who have a return and refund option. This way, you're more secure when you purchase online. It's also a good choice to pay via PayPal because PayPal has a customer protection program where if we don't receive an item, they will cancel the transaction or return the money. Now you have Ebay and PayPal to help you out.

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily, I have never experienced anything like being scammed or bogus on eBay. I purchased a few stuffs from eBay and they aren't that expensive and are just small things like cellphone accessories and make up kits. I'm always satisfied with the service and thankfully, the sellers that I bought items from are trusted and reliable. They are accommodating as well.

It's really hard to trust someone you don't know especially if we're talking about buying items from them, paying upfront. So I think the best way is to check all the feedback of a particular seller first, see if they are credible, contact the seller first and ask all the questions that you want to know before purchasing the item :)

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I used both eBay and Amazon but quite fortunately I have never been scammed by anybody. Before finalizing a product I always go through customer's feedback section and that is quite helpful. Unlike eBay, Amazon got a live feedback section. Once I was about to buy a Samsung USB charger but when I saw the feedbacks it was clear that the product was not upto mark and most of the customers were complaining that the charger was a fake one.

It is also a fact that we can't blindly trust those feedback as some of them could also be posted by sellers under different names. But most of the times it does help.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't experienced for such anomalous transaction in eBay. What I know several years ago that there were some eBay customers who were scammed by their products ordered. Instead, the actually products shown in the eBay, they received them the pictures of the said products. I didn't know if eBay had refunded them of the money.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    After such incidences it is of paramount importance that you drop an honest review so that the next buyer doesn't get scammed. Honest reviews goes a long way.

I have thankfully not been scammed but then the only things I ever purchased throuh EBay was three silver thumb rings. There were all in order, thankfully.

12. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used eBay, so far.

However, this thread certainly is an eye-opener for all those potential customers who make transactions through eBay. Given the fact that eBay is considered as one of the most trusted online platform, these are some awful experiences.

Nonetheless, however trustworthy it might sound, online platforms are full of frauds and thus one might get trapped at any point of time.

13. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I was almost cheated in Ebay, I had saw an unbelievable offer of a Microsoft Lumia 950XL(yes, I am Windows Mobile fan) and after I waited some people bought the mobile phone, when I had decided to buy, I received a message from Ebay which warned me about scam. It was close call.

14. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    You have to be really careful when purchasing from online retailers like eBay. I read an article a while ago about someone that thought they were buying a brand new Xbox One console for Christmas but when they received it, it was just the Xbox One packaging. When he complained to eBay, they said they could not do anything as it did say in the description than it wasn't the console and was JUST the packaging. One way not to get scammed is to make sure you read the description. Because if they do really scam you then you can get a refund from eBay/PayPal

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had very positive use of ebay, amazon, walmart and swansovitamins.com all the time. I look for Google trusted, BBB accredited, good reviews and will do a BBB.org check. I ask separately for reviews. I give honest reviews too. I find hard to find items on ebay.com and go through paypal.com for that's all that is accepted. I get my products, I have only very good things to say on reviews for my products come in good time, good quality and good prices, happily I can say. If someone has a bad experience you can go to bbb.org too to put in complaint and they'll help you. I've no idea if they are international, but you can contact them at twitter. Happy shopping and savings! By the way I found this for the seller at ebay:

16. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been scammed on ebay. I find it hard to believe someone can make order on ebay and get something different or incomplete, that won't portray that popular site in good light. In fact going by this thread one can go skeptical about using ebay. I'd like to believe the cases of scammed on ebay discussed on this thread are just the very few exceptions.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have not really grown to use Ebay as much as I thought that I would have by now and I think that this fear is part of the reason. I cannot really say I have a good reason for it but I just know it would happen to me.

18. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have lot of bad experience with Ebay. I have mostly found that some of the sellers are selling bad products. I ordered for one medical equipment. And the seller sold me a product which is about to expire in 4 months. I think that was surely cheating on their part. I don't think it's reasonable to be a part of such marketplace for sellers. Why sell something that doesn't have higher warranty? That is shady business indeed.

19. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    No I haven't been scammed on eBay or any other online shops. Well there are cases wherein the seller sent me the wrong item but I was able to refund it or have the item replaced. I'm very careful whenever I order online and always check the reviews before purchasing anything to avoid the hassle and orevent being scammed.

20. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, Vinaya I have been scammed once on eBay. I bought a Tv, an LG of 127 centimeters, with a High Definition, and low price of 250 dollars. This kind of TV, here in my country cost over 500 dollars so, I thought that 250 dollars were a good deal. I paid the money, and when I opened the package I was shocked, there was a smaller Horizon TV with 53 centimeters. I was really disappointed, and I will never buy from Ebay anymore!