Scam emails from FBI

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by dconklin • Jun 26, 2012.

1. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I've definitely seen them, leading you to some link where you need to give the "FBI" your information or you'll be arrested, some people are really horrible at scamming.

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    This is not a new problem. There are probably scammers when men were living in caves and wearing animal skins. The only difference is that in the olden days, scammers or "cheaters", as they were called then, were more easily caught and when they were caught, they could expect to suffer some terrible punishment like having their tongues cut out. Now, scammers are anonymous.

To get to the root of the problem, it requires a multi-pronged program. First, the people must be taught, from childhood, that there is no such thing as a free lunch. They must learn that everything must be earned. They must be punished when they do wrong. Forget about sparing the rod.

The next thing that needs to be done is to curb advertising. The big corporations play a major role in making people want things which are beyond their means. So when they cannot get it legally, they will start thinking about how to get it illegally. When they cannot earn as much money as they need to buy all the things they want, they will start thinking of scams to get more more than they deserve.

On top of that, the laws must be changed to make it a big crime to be a scammer. Law enforcement techniques must be updated. International laws must be co-ordinated. Scammers must be caught and when they are caught they must be severely punished. As long as the law deals lightly with scammers, no one is going to be worried about becoming a scammer. Imagine the effect if, say, scammers who are caught will have their hands cut off.

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    So true Victor! Nobody seems to work too hard to catch these guys or gals either (at least this is how it seems.) Sure there are places and email addresses to report these people to, but it doesn't seem to really help solve the problem as well as it should.

4. cluckis

cluckisBanned

Threads:
    There is actually malware out there now that infects your computer, and makes you pay to "suppostly" get it unlocked.

A message shows up from the FBI (if IP is in US), CSIS (Canadian CIA Basicially, Canadain IP's), and probably more.

It says you have to send $100 to these organizations threw Ukash. (That's the major throw off right there)

The news company I heard this from said the only way to get it off is to get it professionally cleaned.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    It amazes me how harmful some people really are. I am glad that I didn't click on the link, but then again I am very cautious with what I click on in an email! I am definitely not going to click on a link in an email that threatens to have me arrested if I don't :) The FBI doesn't have a reason to arrest me and if they did, they can find me quite quickly.

6. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I am always amazed at what scams people fall for. This one is so obviously a scam I just can't believe someone would actually think it was real. It must just be the most gullible of all people who fall for this kind of thing. Sad.

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    It's something to do with the mindset of the authorities. I am assuming that they are intelligent people. The way I see it, if the scammers and hackers can find a way to get round security measures, there must also be a way to improve the security measures. I am assuming that the authorities are interested in improving the security measures.

8. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah there is always room for improvement and I am sure they are doing something to try to keep the public safe. The one thing with reporting these emails is that usually when you report them it goes into a collection database that can be pulled up if they need to. Pretty much in my understanding is that the emails go into a big database that they will use when they need them but I am sure that there are probably too many emails to keep up with!

9. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:

Well people have to start reading the sender's address.

10. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    What are these FBI emails wanting you to respond to? Are you not opening the emails? Are they asking for money or is that just the subject line to try to get you to open the email? These scammers, you would think would be ashamed of themselves but I suppose there's no shame in their game.

I think before all the malicious scams and the bothersome spam will cease there's going to have to be a hefty penalty to pay. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that a spammer do jail time; a scam artist, yes, but a spam artist should be penalized with something like a 1-2 year ban from the Internet. Of course that would be difficult to enforce as long as he uses different IP addresses. Just a thought.

11. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    This is a scare tactic used to make people click on links in the email address, which is probably some sort of virus.

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    They're too dumb for anyone to buy them... but it's true, there are people that still fall for them.

13. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've received these emails before, but I just ignored them. They would send me countless ones and I would read them and laugh. I'm not going to answer the emails because I don't want them to know I'm a real person.

14. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    Yes I will have to be careful and watch out for these FBI email scams, and I can't believe these people will do these types of things.