Scam emails from FBI

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by dconklin • Jun 26, 2012.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I know this isn't one of those "too good to be true" scams, but these are a dangerous scam. I have been getting emails claiming to be the FBI and I know that it would never be them emailing me, but I am afraid people may believe it. The last one I got had in the subject and in all caps " FINAL WARNING YOU WILL BE ARRESTED IF YOU DO NOT READ AND RESPOND." Oh these irritate me, I reported them to the FTC and the FBI to try to nail these people before people believe them.

Have you ever had these fraudulent emails?

2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    No, but then I don't really put my email out there to be snatched up by scammers. I'm glad you reported these idiots before they scare someone more gullable.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I haven't had the FBI one, but I have had emails from NYC Police claiming traffic violations. Apparently, I've parked illegally in New York on more than one occasion. As I live in Europe and have not visited America since 1988, it would be extremely difficult for me to have traffic violations. I've just deleted them, as I believe answering them would give these crooks a way into my computer.

It's bad, though, as it plays on people's honesty rather than their greed. Many people would respond to that in order to prove their innocence, when responding would allow these people to hack into their computer.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I get the FBI one all the time and am nowhere near the US right now. It would be sad if somebody actually fell for it. I would assume they are preying on the elderly. Right now I get one that my Runescape account has been compromised. I don't even know what Run-escape is so it's pretty funny to me.

I use a gmail for all of my internet sign ups etc so when it fills with spam I really don't care. I had a yahoo email address for the same person but it is riddled with about 300 spams a day. I just abandoned it and created a gmail for signing up to websites. When it gets full I will move on and create a new one.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of or seen the FBI one before. That sounds like one that some people could be easily tricked by. It is a good thing that you reported it. Hopefully, they will stop soon.

6. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I have never got one from police before. Tho the FBI is just as bad since people here are more likely to fall for a scam claiming to be an authority figure. My mom was called by somebody claiming to be her local police department and they were asking for donations. She said sorry but no. The guy got nasty with her on the phone and cursing at her, then eventually the call ended. My mom contacted the police to see if it was really somebody from there (and to report rudeness) and they said they never call a home for a donation.

7. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I get emails about accounts for something that I have never heard of too. I report ones that look like somebody else could fall for. I remember getting an email claiming there was a problem with my Chase bank account. I have never had a Chase bank account. I emailed Chase to let them know of it and also reported it to the FTC. I don't fall for any of this crap but I report it to look out for other people who may trust these scammers.

8. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I think the FBI would never send emails to our emails. The moment I get one I'll tell them that I have planted a bomb in front of the White House and will detonate it unless they send me some cash in my paypal account. :D Two can play that game.

9. tetutato

tetutatoActive Member

Threads:
    "FINAL WARNING YOU WILL BE ARRESTED IF YOU DO NOT READ AND RESPOND" Lol seriously? People buy into that crap? -_-

10. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    The FBI would never send an email like this. They can access your address and would definitely be at your door if there was a problem. The person scamming claimed to be some official and a couple of the emails I have received have actually had the FBI's main office in the signature. These scammers are slick and have covered their bases to make it look real.

11. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I am sure that there are people that do. I actually got 3 more emails just like this since the original. Really?? I thought the first one was supposed to be the final warning. Some of these emails that these scammers send do look like they could be legit (I know they are not, but I can see somebody falling for it.)

12. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Unfortunately, there are plenty of people out there who will fall for this sort of thing, I believe namely the elderly or the teenagers. I've read before how an elderly couple sent thousands of dollars to someone in Canada, claiming to be a sweepstakes winner. These are things that should be stopped before they get out of hand, but it's quite close to impossible to prevent it from spreading out so much.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah unfortunately you are correct. Usually there is a link to something in most of the past emails I have received along with a request for me to contact them. This time it was an attachment that said to download. I really don't know what the file was because I refused to open it. I let the FBI know all the details and also forwarded it to the FTC. Unfortunately tho, I don't think they get them in time to prevent it from reaching somebody who will fall for it.

14. deannatroupe

deannatroupeMember

Threads:
    This really gets under my skin. I don't understand why people can't devote as much time to doing positive stuff as they do to creating scams. Why can't they come up with ways to help people rather than ways to steal people's money?

15. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Oh definitely. I've won the lottery about 20 times in all, I think i'm up to about $10 Billion dollars so far.:D
    You should take a look at

and join the community. We have fun with scammers and get them jumping through hoops. ;)

16. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    I feel really bad for the older generations with things like this. Hell, these scams are so elaborate even some of us "in the know" people can get caught with them. So just imagine your mother or grandmother reading her email and seeing something like this.

17. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah it really bothers me too. I don't know why these people concentrate so hard on scamming people and unfortunately there are always people who lose money or identity over it :(

18. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Or even a young and impressionable person who will have to battle to get their life back on track. Fortunately my Mom doesn't trust anything online, but I know there are many people who are unknowingly too trusting.

19. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think you should just ignore it because they make no sense at all. But then if you are really bothered by that, you could go to FBI (the TRUE one) then I think they could trace that email. If they really want to. :)

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Because doing the right thing is just far too much effort, much better to be a parasite.