Saving Water While Brushing Your Teeth

Discussion in Water started by ReadmeByAmy • Sep 2, 2016.

1. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    Do you turn off the Faucet while you are brushing your teeth in order to save water? Or are you the kind of person who lets your faucet run its water while you are brushing your teeth by which many water are wasted? Actually when I am brushing my teeth I put water in a drinking glass and that is what I am using when I am rinsing my teeth after brushing. I do not make a habit to let the water to flow and to continue running because it is a waste of water. How about you what are you doing in order to save water while you are brushing your teeth?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread reminds me of my father-in-law who is very frugal when it comes to water and electricity. He would always tell everyone to use a glass when brushing the teeth because he said that his children (that includes my husband) had that habit of brushing the teeth while the water is running in the faucet. And I agree with him. But what's peculiar with my father-in-law is that he uses pliers to press the tube of the toothpaste to extract the traces of toothpaste that is hiding inside the empty tube.

3. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a lot younger, I used to brush my teeth while having the water running, and that was such a waste now that I think back on it. Nowadays I tend to turn off the water while brushing my teeth and turn it back on to rinse. I have never thought of using a glass and filling it with water, but that is a good idea too. You can't go wrong there. Even if you needed more water to use after rinsing, you could always add more to the glass.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Turning off the tap when it's not necessary to be on while brushing your teeth can really save a bit of water especially when there are quite a number of persons withing the household. With the increasing demand nowadays to save on many cost areas in order to able to cope in the covering of the monthly bills this could be one area that could really contribute to the cost savings.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    A very good point. I turn the water on and off as needed. I think the drinking cup would be most efficient. I will try this. It just takes a little effort to create a better habit. This one I think would be very worthwhile. I'll just get me a cup an set it right by the sink.

6. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use water in brushing my teeth, I use coconut oil, I put come on a brush add my tooth powder and brush, then I rinse by oil pulling about 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, and spit into a cup that I throw away when its full so the oil don't log my sink up. I do rinse my brush out with hot water after but that is the only water I use in brushing my teeth.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Using a glass of water rather than leave the tap running for brushing teeth is a great tip and one I've been using for as long as I can remember and not just to conserve water and save money either - but also because - as the quality of the water in the majority of places that I've lived throughout my life has always been questionable - its generally safer to use a glass filled with bottled water rather than take chances with what comes out of the tap and especially so where I now live - as not only is the water that comes out of our taps not drinkable by any stretch of the imagination - but its so contaminated that we're actually advised not to use it for washing food produce or for brushing teeth.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I run the tap if I can because it's more hygienic but also depends on the water pressure. At my parents it's so slow, you have to run it and even then you need to wait until it's done it's job. When I have been on rural treks you don't have that luxury and you use as little water as possible because it is your drinking water, but as you are spitting onto waste ground it's okay.

9. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I turn it on and off as required. As someone who has seen his share of droughts, floods, hurricanes, and tsunamis, I think I know how important a resource water is. Also, if you aren't convinced by the pro-environment stance, remember that water is a utility that costs money - and not just direct money, but tax money as well. So, do your part in saving water.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I usually brush my teeth with toothpaste then discard it out and the only thing that remains is to rinse my mouth. I usually do about three rinses and thats enough. However, sometimes I use salt which requires only one rinse or even none since salt in the mouth is not harmful. It has antibacterial properties.

11. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Although, I have to say. Keeping a glass of water on the side while brushing sounds like a great idea. Really great if you ask me. It may take a bit of adjusting, but it will certainly save even more water.

12. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I brush my teeth while taking a shower. So I get two things done at the same time. I would soap up, then brush my teeth while rinsing my body under the shower. Using a shower, in the first place, is a good way to save water.

13. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's a classic way to save water consumption. You can either turn off the faucet and only open it to clean your mouth, brush while taking a shower or fill a glass of water and rinse with it.

14. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I generally turn it off when the noise starts annoying me, other than that, I just leave it on whilst I brush my teeth. I definitely know it's not the right thing to do, but it has become a habit which is not easy to get away from. My mom is always arguing with me about it, but what else can I do?.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why would anyone not turn off the faucet while they're brushing their teeth? That is just beyond me. I may be like that when I was a kid but as I grew older, I've learned how to put off the tap when I don't need it. The same can be said when I'm brushing my teeth. The only time I'll ever open the tap is when I finally finish brushing. I need to swallow a bit of tap water for rinsing the toothpaste in my mouth.

16. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks @ReadmeByAmy@ReadmeByAmy for bringing up this point. Even though it seems a small thing to do, it can save a lot of water if we use water judiciously. You never know how much water you waste through a running tap. As it is said that charity begins at home, the same rule applies here too. We need to closely observe our own water consumption first and explore ways to save water in all possible ways. This is the need of the hour.

I usually take water in a cup while brushing my teeth. But I do wash my brush in running water from the tap and close it immediately after that. I always put a brush cap so it is not necessary to wash it before brushing. There are people who even forget to close the tap after use. I think that is a grave mistake and can waste a lot of water within no time. The more ways to use water comfortably, the more we are wasting water.

17. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I turn it off. Not necessarily because I'm focusing on saving water but more or less the fact that I find it stupid to be running it non stop. I have no reason to keep it on so I turn it off. Nothing more than that.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was in grade school, there was the program of the department of health that gave public school pupils a set of toothbrush and toothpaste. The class would be brushing our teeth all at the same time using a glass. I remember our teacher emphasizing that the glass is the best to use when brushing the teeth and we were challenged to use only a glass of water.

In some public places, I see some people brushing their teeth with the tap running and clearly it is extravagance. Even at home, we should practice using the glass when brushing our teeth.

19. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Yes. In addition, I turn lights off when I leave a room, even if only for a few minutes. I place only the correct volume of water in the kettle when making a cup of tea. I turn the hob down to a very low setting once a saucepan of stew or vegetable soup begins to simmer. I only use the dishwasher on the economy setting. I turn off the radiator in the kitchen when using the oven. I recycle as much as I can. I drive an ultra efficient diesel car. I wear the same pair of trousers for two weeks at a time. I defrost frozen loaves of bread in the fridge to conserve electricity. I share showers with my wife. I make my own compost from food waste. I use only LED light bulbs. I have cycled to work for the past 25 years, whatever the weather. And then I spoil all my environmental credentials by flying from the UK to Mauritius every year to go on family vacation!!

20. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    I am a huge believer in conserving resources cause let's face it, we should all be mindful of such things. So yes.