Saving Time Or Saving Cost

Discussion in Travel started by naruto100 • Sep 19, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Well, we are planning to go on holiday after couple of months. We are total 4 or 5 people. But we are confused on one thing. Either we should go by plane or by train. Plane is surely faster but here we are getting difference of half day time. I mean we will reach to destination half day late via train compare to plane.

But we can save money if we choose train. As difference of time is not much I am thinking about train. What you guys suggest?

2. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think there has to be balance of both. You can see that there are times when money saving is more important. And as you work harder you have to invest into the time. So combination of both definitely helps a lot. You can see that many people don't invest their set of time and end up costing more time and money. So all of this depends on those conditions. It is about spending the time right ways at the end. That's for sure.

3. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the money and can afford a plane and you also want to reach faster then use a plane. You will have really saved on time.

According to me, I will suggest you use the train because you can save both money and time. You can choose to read a book in the train or tell each other stories and have fun on the way. This will help save time because you will not be idle. :)

4. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest you guys go on the train since it is just a holiday that is involved. I think that saving cost should come before talking about saving time in a case like this since it is a pleasure trip and not a business trip. Also, it is rational for you to save as much as you can in terms of spending for you don't know how much you might be needed when the holiday would be ending.

5. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think what you you ask yourself before deciding whether to take plane or train is if the holiday travel is time sensitive. If it's time sensitive and as such needs immediate attention, then I will suggest that you forget about saving some extra bucks trying to travel by train and head straight to the airport.

But if it's not time sensitive and nothing to be rushing about, I don't see the need to hastening the travel. Just chill out and have your friends travel by train. I'm sure it would even be a fun experience and as well a good means to save a reasonable amount of money.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    You can perhaps take a cue from my experience. First of all, I check what I have on my hands: more time or more money? If I have more time, I will try to save money, if I have more money, I will try to save time.
    As far as your case is concerned, you need to calculate your actual traveling cost. Since traveling on train takes longer, you might get hungry and buy food. calculate the food cost and add with the train fare. Is it less than the plane ticket? If yes, you can save money by traveling on train.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks you for your replies guys. Yes it depends on time, But as both are not having more difference in time, so for now we have think about train travel. It will help us to save some money so that we can spend that much on shopping during our further travelling. That's what we have though for now. Let's see how it goes.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If arrival time is not much important, I'll choose to travel by train not just to save money but also to enjoy the sights on the way, something I can't do when traveling by plane. That becomes part of your travel experience, too. Besides that, if you choose to travel by plane, you'll have to get to the airport at least an hour or two before boarding so that would still take up your time. In terms of savings, it would be substantial in this case and you can use that to make your vacation truly awesome.

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes arrival time is not that important. And yes it is very true that we can enjoy sights from train more compare to plane. Actually if we will choose plane then we will reach to destination fast by 5 to 6 hours compare to train as there is no direct route. So I don't think it will be more different. So train will be better choice as it will save money too.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would chose to travel by train to save money that's if time is not a factor. If it's just a holiday then it would be fun to spend time in a train and enjoy the beautiful and new sights. If it was work travel then I would understand why plane would be your choice since time cannot be wasted.

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Agree. Holidays are for enjoying purpose. And yes train journey with enough group can be really enjoyed compare to plain journey. In fact plain journey is kind of boring stuff. And if we have to change the plane (I mean not direct flight) then it is boring and bit tiring. So yes train is more convenient if we have enough time for the journey and holidays.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time last year when we visited a nephew who was temporarily assigned to a provincial branch. On the first occasion, we went there by bus which took 10 hours of travel. On our next visit, we took the plane for a 40-minute flight. But the amount of time we spent in waiting in the airport and traveling from the airport to the city is almost the same as what we spend when we took the bus. In travels like that, it is more economical and practical to take the bus instead. So I guess the train is more like it instead of the plane.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should take in account that would you really be able to utilize the time that you will save by going to air. Sometimes it so happens that you spend more time reaching to airport and then waiting for formalities and as we have very few airports in our country we have to catch them from other cities etc. I would rather go by fast trains and save money especially for leisure traveling.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have just finished my comment quoted you on other similar topic. Yes here too we have selected train because flight is having many issue. Right now I am at my home town. So I need to travel 180KM for another city for taking flight. Also flight for our destination is not direct. So we need to wait for 3 to 4 hours for next flight. So in the end not much difference remain between train timing and flight timing.

At first I didn't thought about all these factors. But yes they all involved in it. And I guess in the end train is the better option for us too.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think for a personal trip cost will always be the factor as you can't predict delays and cancellations. If it's business though, it's about getting there on time and so often the arrival time and where is more important. These days I think cost is more important overall, because cheaper flights tend to have fewer choices of flight times than scheduled airlines, thus you are paying for convenience as well.

16. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    How about saving time and saving money both at together. Has anyone got any idea for this??

17. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. When we are going out for holidays then we have to take care of pricing. And as train and flight timing wasn't that much difference so we have decided to go with train so that we can save few money which can be handy during further travelling. Obviously business travelling is mostly fixed by time, but personal travelling can get changed. So better to save money for later on.