Saving On Your Data Bundles

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by remnant • Nov 20, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I use small font when I am browsing online. It uses less bundles on my phone. I also try to avoid downloading unnecessary images and videos which consume alot of data bundles. Another thing is to ensure that I bookmark an important site I intend to visit later to avoid using more data to browse for it again. Lastly, I save pages of important websites which I am not through so as to avoid downloading them in the next session.

2. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    You can have data savers in browsers like Chrome. I got it and it shows a saving of 1.5 GB in a month's time. Using small fonts is really a good practical tip. But I think saving pages will use the same amount of data as you go through it online.

Recently I purchased a one year 4G plan from one of our mobile service providers which is really cheap, more than 70% saving on the actual cost. But it is beneficial only if you are a big user of data. Otherwise there is no advantage in going for this plan. However, I am really benefiting out of this.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting, I haven't heard about data savers in Chrome, I will have to do a search on this. One way I try save data is by browsing using my mobile phone and sometimes ipad. If I'm to use the computer it has to be for a short time. I also avoid downloading songs or apps I feel I do not really need at the moment. I save pages I need to spend time on, to go back when offline

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think there is an Android version too for Chrome data saver extension. While data saver is active it compresses the site before downloading to the smartphone or computer. This will not work for sites starting with https (secure pages) and in incognito tabs. So when you are doing financial transactions and other sensitive dealings online data saver won't affect this. This is just to maintain privacy of these sites. But there are a lot of general sites that do not use https and we can save a lot of data with this extension.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I really wish that there was an accurate way to pay for what you use, at anything reasonable price wise that is, but it always seems like I am at a loss to find a good plan. I think that I have settled on just not using my data and trying to go with WiFi everywhere, but it is a little tough to do now.

6. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    When I use internet on my hand held devices and I am on data, I block images. I also set the auto loading video in off mode. I don't download and upgrade apps, when I am on data. When I am not using internet, my data mode is always switched off. I also don't load ads on my mobile browser. I use UC Browser and in my experience it saves data.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am using Chrome data saver on my android phone and at the moment the compression has given me 18% data saved.

I avoid downloading apps or videos or images while on data. I do them on wifi.

I also type like I am doing now when the data is switched off and only switch it on for posting and refreshing or going to new page.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I recently noticed that with data-saver active on Chrome I am not able to work on sites where streaming audio is required. The audio is not loading and it is somewhat freezed. But when I switch off the data saver it's working fine. I think that particular site is not working in such an environment that under data saver the data first goes to Google server to downsize it and then come to our computer.

9. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I use the basic version of my email when I use the data services on my smartphone. I turn off flash when browsing highly animated websites. I block pop ups using ad blockers which prevent loading unnecessary pages. Another tip is to use a motherboard with a good cache storage. More the cache, the more it can accommodate frequently visited pages without consuming a lot of data.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a data plan as I pay as I need I usually use my homes internet since I don't like using my phone when I'm out anyway. I save a lot doing so and only use my data when I really need it. Data plans here cost too much and the network doesn't cover everywhere I go.

11. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Thank God I saw this forum since I didn't know that small fonts can help save data. I bookmark the sites or avoid deleting the tabs so that I can come back to them without an internet connection. Opera Mini helps alot with this since I can open a maximum of 99 tabs. You can save alot pages with this.