Saving On A Paint Job - Some Tips

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Oct 18, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, due to an accident, age, or just a desire for something different, we want a paint job. However, though, you have to decide if you want to do it yourself or hire someone. Which is cheaper? What is the best bargain? What is the best, regardless of price?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our concrete fence was recently painted but I paid someone to do it for me. However, I supervised the painting to make it easier. First step is to clean with fence with water.After drying for 5 minutes, the water-based paint is applied for the first coating which means a thin application only. On the next day, it is the second coating of the paint which is thicker now for it will be the final appearance. Some others apply 3 coatings for the wall of the house but since this is just the firewall so 2 coatings will do.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Plan ahead and do your best to not over buy the paint, which is something I always do. It is nice to have around if you need a touch up, but it is annoying have many cans, which could also bring up the point of stick to a few colors, or just one.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've never hired someone to do a painting job. My brother and my nephews have years of experience doing house painting and they're just too willing to do it for me for me for a day or two of family bonding and meals/snacks. The output is a just as great as what one would get from professional painters. My nephews, specially, had been trained by my brother-in-law who was highly skilled. Through them, I've learned when and how to use putty and primer paint. I've also learned to paint efficiently using a roller. While I often prefer to buy pre-mixed paints from Ace Hardware, these guys know how to mix the paint themselves to produce the right color. I'm sure we can learn a lot from free videos in YouTube though and save significantly by doing the painting jobs ourselves.