Renewing An Old Laptop

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by remnant • Sep 15, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Most old laptops develop slow internet speeds due to simple maintenance issues like accumulation of dust in the inner parts. This requires simple maintenance like pumping air into the filters. One can also replace the hard drive with a solid state drive (SSD) to restore fast loading speeds at minimal cost instead of purchasing a new laptop.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me but dust doesn't have a role in the speed of the internet. What slows down the internet access is more of the software aspect like if there are lots of hidden cookies that run when you open the internet browser. Even the anti-virus software can definitely slow down the internet access when it is updating itself from their website. But I agree that an SSD is faster in access than an HDD although it is still exorbitant to my standard so I'm clinging to the hard disk drive for now.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This is one of those that is a difficult decision, but an important one. I am always stuck when it comes to getting repairs and trying to get the most out of what I have, or just giving in and going to get a new one. The excitement of a new on is always nice, but I would say that so is that feeling of being resourceful and getting your money's worth. Ideally there is a balance there, and I am sue it depends on the person. Best of luck to you, though.

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Internet speed entirely depends on your broadband and internet routing hardware. If your cpu is opening a web browser slower than usual, it doesn't necessarily mean your internet connection is going slower.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Websites can also load slowly if you are running low on RAM and raw processing power. Cleaning up can speed up the laptop a little but to speed it up even more maybe what you need is another Operating system. Installing Linux could solve the problem if a laptop is too slow. If none of the remedies work — upgrade.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think adding a lot of hard drives and expanding the RAM would be helpful in boosting up your laptop's peed. You can also change the processor. However, the amount of money you invested in buying additional hardware far exceeds the cost of a new high powered laptop in the market. Many people would rather go for the latter option. At least the new laptop has a better design and more up-to-date OS.

7. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of slow internet speeds due to hardware, I don't know if that's how it works because they have nothing to do with one another. The internet is not hardware the actual hardware, although it works threw it but it seems like you're saying something like if you have too much dust in your computer then your download speeds will slow down.

That's just what it sounds like to me.

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I think an old laptop can be useful once you've replaced it with a light OS. For instance I have this Acer laptop which is 9 years old to be exact and it really is slow even though it runs on Windows 8.1. What I did was researched and I stumbled into this forum wherein you can make an old laptop useful and fast by just changing the OS. So I tried it and it actually works. Now I can use my old Acer laptop for web browsing and it is faster than before

9. buddyman

buddymanNew Member

Threads:
    if your computer slows down its because of an app or extension you may have recently installed, you are running low on ram ( like having a boat load of tabs open at once), a virus has infected your device, etc. Not dust tho!