Recharging Batteries Vs Buying Them New All The Time

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jason76 • Nov 15, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In my case, I rarely use batteries. In fact, I only use them to play video games occasionally. In that case, a battery recharger hasn't been a big deal. However, though, for big time gamers, a recharger could save a ton of money. Anyway, in your case, do you feel it's is worth it?

2. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    When a battery indicates low power it doesn't mean the battery is defective. After working for long, its power goes down, which is a reversible process. Charging it returns it to its original state. Instead of wasting money on purchasing new ones all the time, I rather recharge whatever I have.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are talking about batteries of your cellphone, I guess the charger is much economical instead of buying a new battery which is expensive. My smart phone broke down and couldn't charge the battery so I bought a separate battery charger which costs less than $10. And that charger is working for more than a year already. It's pretty good and it's service will last for long as I see it.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Cell phone batteries seem to all be rechargeable - which is a good thing. However, though, there is still a big market for regular batteries out there - mainly for video game controllers and remote controls. Anyway, does anyone see a trend toward rechargeable, aside from cell phones?

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I was not really aware of the battery recharger until now. It does seem like a good way for one to save a little extra money now and again, not only saving batteries but also saving a bit of time on going to the store and back. I think it is a wise investment that will save a lot of money in the future.

6. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I also am using batteries very rare, but I prefer to have the recharging batteries because are handy and it help me to save money as well.
    My son has a small toy car that needs a lot of batteries and it would cost me more to buy new ones than recharge them.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don’t need batteries very often anymore, so we just buy new ones when we need them, and we usually get them at Harbor Freight Tools or Sam’s Club, where they have the larger packages.
    I used to use batteries a lot more when we didn’t have usb charging for things like we do now, and then I used the rechargeable batteries when I could. I had a charger that worked from either electric or solar, so if I was not in a hurry to have the battery recharged, I could just leave it and let the sun charge it up.
    When I put the charged batteries in my portable radio (or whatever I was using them in) then I put the dead ones in to recharge, and then I always had fresh batteries.
    One thing that is an issue with the rechargeable batteries is that they run down a lot faster, and so you are always having to put fresh one in the device you need them for.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady that rechargeable batteries do run down much faster so in the long run don't save you as much money and cause more issues. I recently helped my elderly neighbor and she changed the batteries in her clock and soap dispenser and as she has unsteady hands can't do it any longer. I replaced them with her recharged batteries but they lasted less than 2 weeks. I then checked all her recharged batteries and they were all nearly flat. In the end I said she should just buy batteries as she can't change them and charging them can cost more, as you can buy batteries quite cheaply in discount stores now.

They just aren't good for items such as clocks or door bells because you depend on them and if they don't work then either you miss appointments, or you miss someone at the door if the batteries are flat.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried rechargeable batters but agree with the above poster, the life is not as long even when fully charged. I would rather spend more regular amounts on ordinary batteries and get a better quality product. I must admit I do prefer the slightly more expensive batteries because they last longer although I am quite happy to use those from discount stores if there is nothing else available.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Batteries are very expensive, but buying an re-charger and rechargeable batteries isn't cheap either. It's all about making an investment because if we want a go re-charger and rechargeable batteries we need to pay a good price because the cheapest ones are really bad and won't work with many devices.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We bought some rechargeable batteries and also some one-time batteries for different usages. For clocks, we use one-time battery as the clocks don't require much battery power and the battery can be used for quite long. For wireless mouse and landline phone, we use rechargeable batteries as they use up the battery power much faster and it'd save more money to use rechargeable batteries.