Reading Online Or Offline?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by remnant • Jun 18, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There are some books that are available both as online versions or as a hard copy. Some newspapers are following suit with reduced production of hard copies to cut costs and to be in sync with their customers most of who have a prescence online. However, I suppose few things can replace the interactive and tactile utility of reading books offline. You only pay once and the item is yours for keeps but for online versions, an element of cost will always be there for example, to charge your laptop in order to access them. Which is more convenient?

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I read offline because it saves me money spent on charging up devices. I used to check out ebooks from my local library and put them on my computer, but I was spending so much money charging up my laptop. Now I just get the paperback in the library.

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Of course I prefer the hard copy instead of an online version. Is for comfort and convenience, also you can save a hard copy anywhere even in GoogleDrive to download it anywhere you want. Is not like a bunch of enriched font text and fixed images can weigh enough to reach a gigabyte threshold. Readily downloadable and readily available for any digital platform of yours.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you can read a book online then you can print a pdf copy of the book [if the book is free]. If the book isn't free then I would want to buy it or read the hard copy version because there are numerous free books on the net which I can download and read at any time I want and spend no money on them.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read offline and also hard copies, but it depends on the book. Some free copies are available online only and it's more convenient. Buying a physical book is an investment as it will take up space on my bookshelf, where e-books can be archived easily.

6. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I still prefer reading books offline unless I need to read a book online because I have no other choice. The good thing about reading a physical book is it’s more convenient (at least for me). With ebooks, I find it very difficult to get to the page where I left off. I have to scroll through hundreds of pages to get to the right page.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer reading offline and hard copies since i have full control of the situation. Online reading somehow has its limitations, mainly the internet connection. What if the connection suddenly goes down, the progress wasn't save and then you'll lose your reading material. So yes, i'd rather read offline than online.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well you can call me old school but I would have to choose offline. It is nice to know that the availability is out there though and that if need by there are options, but I just prefer a paperback book and a cup of coffee and me curled up somewhere quiet. Sitting at looking at a computer or other screen just does not have the same effect for me. Maybe things will change, though, we will see.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather read books with a copy in my hands (I like to feel the pages on my fingers and the smell of a book... especially if it's a new book).

Reading through a computer/tablet screen may be more comfortable and practical for most people, but I think it's very annoying.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer reading offline books since because I love the feel of holding one and browsing through the pages. However, since there are a lot of free e-books online, I don't buy hard copies anymore since it saves me a lot of money. I normally get e-books and audiobooks so I now read most of the time through my smartphone, not to mention the convenience since it comes in handy :)

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It's for me to say which I would really prefer, I enjoy reading online and offline books or materials. As far as a book if I read it online I am sure going to have a download of the material and have them saved up in the cloud for future references. I like the position I assume with my computer when I read up books, news or other texts from my computer.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For convenience, it is the hard copy for me. Reading is my habit during bedtime. It helps me go to sleep. The hardcopy book cannot be replaced in this situation. Besides, books can be reread by others in the future.

But with newspaper, I read the online version in the morning. The 3 major newspapers here have their online version which is a big savings in terms of daily expenses.

13. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer a variety of eBooks and actual paper-books. I read to study and learn, and when I have a book about health (as an example) I really like owning the actual book, and I can easily refer to it any time that I want and also it makes it much easier to find pages that I have highlighted some important fact.
    However, since I really do not like watching television , I also read novels just for entertainment in the evenings. For this, I totally love reading on my Kindle Fire.
    It is just the right size, lightweight, and easy to carry along if I have an appointment somewhere and have to sit and wait. Once I have finished reading the book, I can either delete it completely, return it if it was borrowed like an online library book, or keep it and store it in the Cloud for reading again later.
    I use Bookbub, as well as just search for fee and cheap books at the Kindle Store; so there is always a plethora of novels to be found and enjoyed with the Kindle. It can actually hold well over 1,000 books; but I do not have anywhere near that many books stored on mine, and most of the novels that i read are deleted once I am finished reading unless they are by a favorite author .
    I do also read books for research online, and those I of course save after I am finished reading them.

14. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing nicer than curling up on the sofa with a great book to read. It isn't the same reading online. My PC is a desktop so I have to sit in a proper chair. It also depends on what I am reading. If it is a novel then it just feels nicer to read it in bed or lounging around on the sofa.

I think that the cost of charging up devices is relatively small. I have even printed out books on my printer because reading it was easier. It was for research purposes so it made it easier to see. I had to underline and highlight things in it so it made it more simple.

E-books are definitely cheaper to buy, and kinder to trees! Yet, they don't surpass the feel good factor of reading a book in comfort.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Offline reading will always be my first preferance. It saves me the cost of charging my laptop, struggling with small fonts and brightness and the eye strain.

Offline books can be exchanged, borrowed or bought depending on the need of a person and can be read at one's convinience.

16. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays I started reading online newspapers but to be frank I never get the same amount of satisfaction as going through a hard copy. In fact my day used to start with a newspaper in hand and that has become my life's routine. But I sincerely wanted to switch over to online version. It is economic and convenient. At the same time it is environmental friendly as we can save trees which are used to make paper. In online version we can also get updated news as and when it happens which is an added advantage.

But when it comes to books I would most probably stick to offline reading. In online reading I lack the feel good factor.

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It's more convenient for me to read online compared to offline. When I go online I like to quickly read every piece of article that catches my attention. If I decide to download them with the intention of reading them later when I am offline believe it I may not get that time again. When it comes to reading books I find that it's more convenient reading from my computer than bending to read.

18. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have started reading books mostly online. They are more convenient and handy. I have access to the books where ever I go. I use kindle for reading. I don't have Kindle but have downloaded the app on my mobile. It's very good and convenient. There are so many books that are available for free in the kindle store. I mostly buy those books. I have still to purchase a book from the kindle store.

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like reading offline and old books have the smells of vanilla flowers from the breakdown of chemical compounds in the paper that have a wonderful smell,also new books have some great aromas as well. Every used book I bought lately has a great personality to it, like creased pages and highlighter marks, and overall these things give it such a character and brings life to the book.

#19May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  20. trea

treaNew Member

Threads:
    That's a very good way to put it, @FolkArtist@FolkArtist!

But in my case, I have no choice but to read online. As much as I want to enjoy what many other people like FolkArtist have posted about the joy of reading a printed book, I can't. I've got sweaty hands and I feel bad getting the pages wet and destroying some of them, so I just have to stick with e-books.

I'm not gonna complain, though, because it has good points, too, so there's no problem! I can help trees, save space in the house, customize the font size and type, and spacing, access dictionaries quickly, and I can still continue reading in the dark ( I needed to install an app like Twilight to avoid straining my eyes) It's not really that bad.

But if I get a kid, I’d prefer them going to libraries and book sales and reading printed books. :)

#20May 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017