Quality Vs Quantity

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Rossy • Aug 4, 2017.

1. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    So, would you rather have a number of items or few but good quality? Well, I know this one depends on one's situation. To me quality matters a lot. I would rather buy a kilogram of quality rice than have a bag of rice that has low quality. Does this apply only to me? What do think matters?

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think this depends on the purchasing power of an individual. Everyone would want a quality product, but very few would be able to afford it for as long as possible. Actually, this is the difference between living and surviving.

Another thing that I think would determine, is the purpose of the items one requires.For example, a hard cover book is better than a soft cover book. However, when I was a student, I would rather buy the soft cover books because it would be more expensive having a hard cover book for every subject.

Lastly, when determining whether I want quality or quantity, I check the consequences of having a particular product. For example in your case of rice, quality matters because good health is essential, but in a case like buying toys for kids, for me quantity would matter because no matter how good of a toy you buy, it will be destroyed in a matter of days.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Let's take apparel o clothing. In the olden days, what matters to me is the quantity more than the quality. But in this modern age when signature clothes and accessories are the :"in" thing, I would say that quality is first before the quantity. I have been seeing in social media the "for sale" posts on used bags that are expensive since they are signature handbags but still commands a high price for second hand buyers.

4. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    The Quality vs Quantity debate has been ongoing for long, but I think the quantity preference to quality or vice versa has to do what the consumer of a product really prefer. One core factor of demand is taste and this goes down to explain the reason a consumer may prefer to spend a certain amount of money to buy a low-quality product just for the taste irrespective of the quantity they will get.

Then, some other consumers will prefer a high-quality product no matter the cost to a low-quality product of close substitute. So, my point remains that there are certain factors that need consideration before a consumer settles for one product instead of the other. Although everyone will like a quality product, most average income earner will want a product that is affordable irrespective of the quality attached to it.

I will always go for a quality product once my budget can afford it, but if not, then settling for a lower quality that can give almost or close to the same satisfaction is no crime.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on what exactly it is pertaining to. If it is clothing then quality is important because you want clothing to last longer than a few months. It also depends on what the financial situation is for people. Maybe they need an item of clothing but they don't have the money for a really high quality item then they have to purchase something that is of a lesser quality. With food, it all depends on what type of food it is. If I am going to buy steak then I want a good quality piece of meat and will go for a ribeye or porterhouse. If it is just some boxed foods then usually the cheaper ones will suffice and I can choose quantity over quality.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Quality should always come first, no matter what the amount of the object / food. I can't understand how some people value things in reverse order. But you know.. People are people anyway. :rolleyes:

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    This is kind of a tough question, but i always choose quality for things that are valuable and important and quantity for unnecessary things.

8. chel

chelNew Member

Threads:
    When I buy things that don`t seem so necessary, I would just prefer quantity. But when it comes to food and for personal hygienes especially for my children, I would always prefer quality. Buying low-quality foods or things for personal hygienes it might harm us. When we value ourselves and think about our health, we don`t prefer low-qualities. Quantity without quality is just like wasting money.

9. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    It's actually hard to choose between the two. Does brand name or company signatures equates to quality? If so, would you rather buy imported products over local produced? I mean, when it comes to food, imported products comes frozen and with lots of food grade and chemical extenders to keep them fresh. Quality wise, I will choose the local produced because it's a lot fresher than the imports plus I will get more. So, I get quality as per quantity. It's like hitting two birds with one stone.

10. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Where it comes to stuff such as food, fruits, vegetables etc. of course quality matters more than quantity. And something that is of good quality does not necessarily mean expensive, like @

has mentioned, something that is produced locally, is fresh and conforms to our need at the time, is of good quality.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well we al know the saying quanitity over quality, but that is also what people say when they do not have that much of something. Truth is sometimes the quantity is more important, so it all just depends I guess.

12. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I always go for the quality and I don't compromise quality over anything. I would rather have a few quality goods rather than giving a lot of low-quality goods and I follow this rule especially when it comes to buying foods. :)

13. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Exactly, a lot of people seem to prefer quantity over quality, and then complain when the items stop working shortly after the purchase.

14. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    For me , it actually depends on what type of product. If it comes to trivial stuff like rubber bands, paper clips, I doubt that the quality would really impact my usage so quantity over quality. However, you would want quality over quantity for electrical and electronic devices since these items are more expensive and may cause accidents if the quality is bad.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think that depends on how hungry someone is, how long they need to make the food last, how many they need to feed, and when/if they will be able to buy more. It's like Nicholas said, it's the difference between living and surviving. I think most people would prefer the highest quality if they could afford it.

This is another good observation. It depends on what the item is needed for, how much use it will get, and how long it needs to last. You will probably only use a textbook for one or two semesters, so there really is no reason to buy the most expensive version of it. If it were a reference book or something else that you needed to keep and use for many years, it would be more worthwhile to invest in the hard cover option.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    It always depends on the item. Some items are cheap but of good quality, like this no-brand earphone that I'm using now. It only costs $1, but the sound is great, it's got good bass. It really depends on the item, since some cheap items can be durable and of good quality. As for branded items, well you are assured of quality and durability, also warranty, so it's always better to buy branded if you can afford it.

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that quality comes first. Even if it is in few number at least there is a chance the people will actually like said product and won't have to worry about it falling apart after a few months or simply not working. But there are times were quantity isn't so bad in some points.

18. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Buying high quality items will ensure that they last longer and thus not having to fix them every time or even needing to replace them after a few years.

19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Exactly, I would rather have a product that would be good to use for years than have to buy the same thing over and over again when it goes out of order.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With vegetables, you'll find grade b is the same as grade a just shaped differently. Some veggies have a twist to them, so they are considered grade b and cost less. Tastes the same as grade a veggies, just cheaper grade b veggies got the same good things as grade a, so I'd buy grade b too. I try to look for both quantity and quality. Like Walmart's store brands frozen potatoes, pretty good like Ore Ida, but costs less. But it's up to a person what they'f pay for.