Price Or Quality In Hotels?

Discussion in Travel started by blurinoctober • Apr 10, 2013.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    Do you stick to the cheapest hotels when you're traveling or do you base it on the star rating? I will personally pick out a few hotels based on location and price, then read the reviews. It takes a lot to make me decide to not stay somewhere! In my experience, people hold too high of a standard when it comes to hotels and will complain over the tiniest thing. Is this your experience? Do you trust every review and nevermind saving a few bucks?

2. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    I do like a good price, but the hotel needs to have good reviews. If it's a hotel with people complaining about the cleanliness of rooms and things along those lines, I wouldn't stay there. I don't care much for room service or things like that, but just as long as the room is clean, I'm good. I don't trust every review, but you can notice a trend with reviews that kinda clues you into whether people are being honest or not.

3. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    When I travel, I don't live in hotels. I mean I do get a room as some place to keep my things and take a bath and a rest. The rest of the time, I am outside enjoying myself. So I see no point in paying a lot of money for a luxurious hotel room. I just need a room that's clean with running water and I am fine.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When traveling, I choose a rated hotel. Not a five star hotel, but I don't stay at the cheapest place. I do like some creature comforts. I live clean rooms, continental breakfast and wifi or other internet service.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I take both price and quality into account. I wouldn't want to stay in a crappy hotel just to save some money, but I don't have the money to go to 5 star hotels all the time :p I read reviews online as well, and most of the times, I check and compare a few and see which one is the most convenient.

6. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    We look at price but we also look at reviews. We never stay at a hotel if it has a bad review on it. We also look at the star rating. We tend to stay at a 3-4 star rating hotel. It is important that the hotel is clean, not too expensive, is in a good location and has good reviews listed.

7. fourmatic

fourmaticMember

Threads:
    If I am going on vacation its because I've saved enough money to not worry about money while I am there. That being said I am usually just as happy in a 4 star hotel as a 5 star. Especially I you are going to barely be in your room. Look for clean rooms, great food and a good beach and thats all you need to be honest.

8. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    As long as the hotel location is good then I'm not hugely bothered about whether its 4 star or 5 star. As said above, all I need in a hotel is somewhere to sleep and somewhere to wash. A bit of breakfast is fine too but not essential and then I'm out for the day.

9. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    When traveling and if I need to get a hotel, I am not too picky about where I stay as long as it is clean,safe and reasonably priced. It is just a place to get some sleep and take a shower and then I'm on the road again so I am not trying to spend a lot of money on a room I won't be in long.

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I would definitely go for both. I'm sure that there are cheap hotels out there that could be enjoyed with their cool quality. They may not be as good as 5 star hotels but if the place is neat and comfortable, I'm good with that.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I used to look at reviews, but not since we went on an all inclusive break with friends a couple of years ago. We went to a hotel they had used before, and they couldn't praise the food, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff enough. It was also in a convenient location, and very cheap. However, the reviews were dreadful. Based on those, I'd never have used the hotel, yet we've had several enjoyable breaks there.

I refuse to spend a huge chunk of my holiday budget on accommodation. As long as the hotel is clean and comfortable, that's all I need. If I'm not happy with something, I complain politely and it always gets sorted.

12. attagirl

attagirlNew Member

Threads:
    First off I never trust every review I read, some places are clearly better than others. But most people complain because they get what they pay for and its cheap. I generally go with cheap places as long as they are clean for overnight travel if I am driving and will not be staying. I will however go with much nicer places if I am going to be there a few day or longer. Because I do believe you get what you paid for and in most cases when you go with the higher priced places they generally care more about the rooms and the service.

13. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I usually try to find a good balance between the two because I know many hotels just have terrible room service and the bathrooms don't work and the list goes on and on. Therefore I try to usually find something decent for the money that I am paying. I do think its wrong to pay so much for quality because I normally don't spend much time in a hotel anyway if I am traveling/on vacation.

14. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    I work at a large chain hotel as a housekeeper. We do our best to make sure the rooms are clean and that everything is satisfactory. There are always going to be things that are going to be a problem for some people. And alot of it has nothing to do with the staffs performance. We get complaints about the beds being to soft. Then the next person says the bed is to hard. The next person does not like the view from the window. And at times we get complaints about the water temperature of the pool. Most standard hotels do have a staff of housekeepers who are supervised. And their work performance is checked on before the room is actually rented. All hotels are inspected by the state as well.

15. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    Three things I consider when choosing a place to stay when traveling: cleanliness, price, and accessibility. In all my travels, I am lucky enough to always find an affordable hotel located in the city center that makes hopping from one destination to another easy. It is definitely a bonus if it is close to restaurants and some shops. The price is a big deciding factor, for there is no way I am going to check-in in a hotel that has a crazy high rate. I won't be staying in long hours within the hotel's premises, so why pay high? I will be there during sleeping time, for the rest of the day, I would be out touring.

16. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I do read reviews, however I do not entirely make my decisions based on this alone. Price and how close or far away the hotel is to the main city is another factor I consider before I book a hotel. Some years ago I booked a hotel that was not so pricey and had great reviews but the fact that I had to take cabs to go in and out of my hotel costed me more than the tariff itself. Most often I book myself into hotel chains that are well known and have quality service. However, if the visit is just for a day and I am spending most of my time in a meeting or a conference.. I don't care too much about reviews or ratings, I will take the cheaper option.

#16Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, people do have high standards but I can understand why they would want to stay in a nice hotel or apartment after spending their hard earned money. Most people only get a few weeks holiday a year so they want it to be nice. For a longer traveling experience it doesn't matter, you can stay in hostels for a few dollars a night.

18. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I also read a lot of reviews before I book the hotel where I plan to stay. Price is always a factor for me because I travel with my kids and that just exponentially increases expenses so every dollar saved counts. Hotel services and facilities are also very important since I want enough to distract energetic little people. Location is usually secondary since a lot of hotels nowadays offer free or cheap shuttle service and as long as you plan well you don’t really need to stay at the heart of the city or at an exclusive resort to have a great time.

19. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to do my research on Tripadvisor before I book a hotel. I have found some superb 3-star hotels in Europe using that site, that would be classified as a 4-star in the UK, but the standards in Europe tend to be much higher, so I can enjoy lovely, luxurious surroundings at a reasonabl cost. I don't do 'cheap', per se though. In my experience, cheap = NASTY. *shudder*

20. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I research before staying at a motel I don't travel much but when I do I try to find one for a fair price that isn't in the bad part of the town and that is clean