Pet Names

Discussion in Pets started by hayrake • Mar 29, 2015.

1. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    My children named our two pet guinea pigs. They named them Chippie and Maple. When I asked them why they gave them those names, they said they named Chippie because he looks like a chipmunk and maple was named after syrup. Maple is actually pretty close to the color of maple syrup.

2. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Rzashida, that is just the cutest! We had guinea pigs years ago. I named the calico, Catterpigger, and the two-tone Pigmalion. They were the sweetest little pets! I love naming them, because the puns are practically endless! :p

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I have cats. After adopting them, I give them names. I always pick names that sound like -ee at the end because I read that cats respond to that sound easily.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cats we have now, we didn't plan to adopt.. they dropped in on our lives and we named them after the fact. Each of them already had their own little personalities we picked up on.. some were more feminine than others, or more comical or more brave etc, so some have strong human names, girly names and another has a ridiculously cute, cartoony sort of name lol. They're all well suited :)

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Caterpigger!! lmao.. I absolutely love that lol :p

6. Noril Salvo

Noril SalvoNew Member

Threads:
    I've always preferred naming them the way I want to name them. They're my pets so why not? I don't think they mind anyway. Besides, I do give them good names. Usually the names I pick are of pop culture stuff.

7. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:

I usually wait till I get the pet, than I write a list of names and I see which name the pet responds to better, pretty much I let them pick their name. Like when I got my pitbull I had him sitting in my lap and was saying names out loud to see which name I would give him well when I got to Tyson he perked up and just looked at me wagging his tail so I said the name Tyson again and his tail started wagging even faster so he pretty much picked his own name. And since than that's how I have named my pets I write a list than say them out loud and see which name gets a response so far it's worked out well. Lol

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is fun naming pets. The last two cats I had came pre named. ONe was a big fluffy cat that came with the name Fluffdaddy...rhyming with Puff Daddy, when DIddy had that name. It was so funny. The cat I have now is Milo. I am already thinking of cat names when I adopt again...I had a dog named Beau..my next pet will likely be a dog...so will have to think of a cute dog name.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Picking pet names is so hard to me! i can imagine picking up my children's names will be a nightmare if a simple pet name is already hard.
    I own two pets, a cat and a dog. For my dog, Duke, I decided on his name before I got him because he is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and I thought Duke was a good match to his little face and his regal breed name.
    For our cat, named Nugget, we were still discussing names when we got him, and decided on Nugget definitely after a couple days with him. It was a hard choice!

10. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I can see how you may want to wait and watch the personality and temperament of your pet before you name it. The first dog I had, we named after an engineering project my father was working on. But my next pet, she was so frisky, she had to have a name to express her liveliness.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Naming your pet is so difficult! For me, it was for both for my dog and the cat. For my dog, Duke, I had pre-established his name for him because I thought it matched a Cavalier King Charles spaniel perfectly. Our cat, Nugget, it was that nuggets matched his color and we thought it would be cute.

12. AnnMarie

AnnMarieNew Member

Threads:
    Pet names are very important to me. My animals have always had unique names which I choose with care. Some of my cats have even had three names, just like my kids. I always give them my last name because I figure they are part of the family. Some of the names get shortened into nicknames. We had a rabbit one and we called him Bunnicula like the rabbit in the children's book. He was a cheeky little rabbit so I ended up giving him the nickname, BadBoonie.
    My current cat, Hank, was actually pre-named which is extremely unusual for me. Its just that I had an image of a kitten in my mind and it matched on that had been on a recent commercial. In the commercial you see a pet dish with the name Hank on it. You expect a big dog of the pit bull variety to come out and eat from it, but instead this tiny little orange kitten comes out and there\s your Hank. I thought it was great. The commercial was really cute and I bet it sold a lot of cat food. After that I was on the look out for my own Hank. I always knew that I wanted an orange tabby but now he had a name picked out as well. When I lucked out and got Hank, I knew right away that the name was perfect for him. Rather than take my last name though, Hank has my partners last name and the middle name of "Butterbelly," because he likes to show off his tummy, especially after he east and its all rounded out. Hence the nickname.

13. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what dog I'm getting. If I ever get a Husky I already have a name picked up for it. If it's any other breed I'll have to figure out the name after I get it.

14. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    My most recently acquired pet was an adult rescue who kept his name. That was easiest. For animals I get as babies and have the privileged of naming, I often wait until I get to know the animal, sometimes several days before deciding for sure. Before then, I sometimes have a "maybe" name list, like people planning to have a baby.

15. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Most of my animals have been named based on their personalities although one cat was named because he was the complete opposite of his mom, so we reversed her name for his name! One cat was also named Jess, after the cat in Postman Pat. She looked a lot like that cat though!

16. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I name my pet before buying them. I always have the idea of the name first. All the names that i gave to my pets have a meaning. And good thing that their names reflects their personalities.

17. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    My next pet is definitely a dog. I have always wanted a dog. I already came up with two possible names for it. I came up with Yoshi, like the one with Mario. Of course that was in my head because Yoshi is awesome obviously. The other name I came up with is Fluffy. I always wanted a dog with a lot of fur. Of course having a lot of fur would make it fluffy. But yeah so far that is all I came up with prior to getting the dog.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our pets are named after they have been in the house for a while so that we spend sometime with them. The last dog we got we named her vensus, she was a golden brown chow, very pretty. She matched her name very well.

19. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It will take me a few weeks to name a pet because I like to name them based on their personality. It took me about a month to name my cat because he has so much personality. I couldn't just pick one name! He actually has 4 nicknames now.

20. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    We adopted our dog from the local Humane Society. The pets there are given names by the staff if they do not already have names, however, I feel that these names are temporary as the animal usually stays at the Humane Society for a brief time before bering adopted. Our dog was a rescued stray, whom they named JoJo. We mistakenly took him for a female dog when we learned his name.

My husband and I are both science nerds, so we named him Tesla after Nicola Tesla, the famous physicist. It did not take long for Tesla to learn his name. While it has been a bumpy road, I am glad that we adopted him and that we were able to give him a home.