Pet Names

Discussion in Pets started by hayrake • Mar 29, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Do you name your pets right off or even before you get them? Or do you wait and let the pets name themselves?

I've always found that they do name themselves if you just give them a little time. On the same note, I've also noticed that a lot of times the pet picks the owner instead of the other way around.

2. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the pet. Sometimes we wait to see how their personalities develop. We have a big black and white cat named Oreo. He has gotten so fat over the years, now I call him DoubleStuff.:D

3. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I named my first of my current pets, a tortiose, when I got him, because it was a gift that I didn't know about. With my cat, I decided on a name before I got her.

4. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I've only had two pets and did not name either. My significant other picked both of their names before I had a chance and just came to me for the approval. My current pets have kind have come built in with my current boyfriend so we're conveniently named and house broken when he came along. Luckily he is named and house broken too.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't really wait for the pet to name itself (I don't even know how this is possible). We name them based on intuition. The family has a tendency to sport "oy" at the end of every name to make our pets' names sound cuter than usual. Some of the names we hear are too serious and we'd rather keep the naming process fun, flippant and enjoyable. Our pets get the hang of their names after some time, anyway.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take a little while before naming my pets. And even then I just select a random name. Not Fido though, too common.

Sometimes I wait until Christmas time when relatives visit me and I let their kids choose a name for my pet.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have a pet cat and her name is Kira. I picked the name just out of the blue. There's really no specific meaning behind it. I just liked how the name "Kira" sounds and I'm a bit into anime that's why it's very Japanese, so yeah, I eventually chose it for her. :)

8. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    My son and I went down the list of dog name and we said it out loud until one name kind of stuck with us. We both agreed on the name and went to pick him up (he is a Craiglist pup) and he seems to fit the name perfectly :)

9. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    My pets have always been rescues, so we have always kept the names they had when we adopted them. It has always turned out that the names they were given were quite fitting, and I would never have thought to change them. The best was when I adopted a kitten who was named Hercules at 4 months old. We used to laugh at what a big name he had for being such a tiny guy. He turned out to be part North American Lynx, and ended up being over 25 pounds!

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I named my cats too soon. It's irrelevant though because I don't identify them by their actual names anyway. I use nicknames or just refer to them as 'cat'. They seem to be a lot happier with that rather than Thor the Brave & Marlon Brando. Seeing as they're both female.

11. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    Our shelter dog came already named. She is a brownish color and the shelter named her Penny. Even though she was only 6 months old we decided to keep her name. We sometimes call her Penelope for fun.

Our other dog we got as a puppy from a breeder. They were calling her Molly but I didn't care for that. I'm not sure how it happened but we started calling her Abi.

I think that I would have to see my pets first before naming them. I might have a few ideas in mind but I wouldn't select a name until I saw the pet and got used to its personality.

12. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I have always named my pets straight away as soon as i have got them, when i see the animal a name always seems to spring to mind that suits them. I think it's quite funny when people give their pets human names but i have never done that myself.

Some people will give their pets really silly names, i think that is quite demeaning to the pet so some responsibility should be taken when selecting a name.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with Megan888. I would have to see my pet first before I can give him a name. My first pet was a puppy, who was one month old then when he was given to us. We called him Boomer, named after our long-time favorite TV show, who has gone off air. I don't know what is his breed but he is the most adorable and naughty dog. Everybody in the family loved him. He did not live long, he caught some mysterious disease. We found him in the backyard too weak to move and even eat. A few minutes later he died and we buried him at the back of the house.

14. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have any peculiar names for my dogs. They are quite simple. The first one is browny because its color is brown and the other one is douglas base on my favorite artist.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our pet's names are given after choosing a name that fits their looks the moment we got them. But in the case of my cat, I seem to come up with many other nicknames for him as time goes by, lol. He was given to us though, and I retained the name he was given.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We only name our pets when they arrive in our house. Our very first pet dog was a cute female puppy given by my sister in law. When my husband fetched the puppy, the star wars commercial was played on the car's radio. When husband reached our house, he suggested the puppy's name as Jedi. That's it.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My family tended to try and predict a cat’s personality by the way he or she looked, and name him or her accordingly. Sometimes their guesses were pretty inaccurate though! When it wasn’t that, it was a physical characteristic, usually fur color. As for me, sometimes I like naming them after fictional characters.

18. PupLove

PupLoveNew Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid my parents let me name our family dog, which by the way wasn't the greatest idea because I picked a name that rhymed with my name!! Anyway, when my boyfriend and I decided to start adopting dogs we had names picked out already. We are big Sons of Anarchy fans, so we picked Jax, Opie, and Chibs. I find that most times the pets live up to whatever you call them, all of my dogs have very strong personalities and I think each of their names suit them.

19. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I don't wait to name my pet, when I first get my pet I name it, based on the way it looks. I've never heard or thought about waiting to name a pet based on personality, I find it interesting.

20. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    We just sort of them a name that we think suits them the most. At one time, we had several pets that were all inexplicably named after foods. LOL We had a dog named Pringles, and cats named Oreo and Walnut. Thankfully, we still have Oreo and Walnut. Sometimes we name them according to personality. We have a crazy hyper dog named Gunner.