Pet Fish

Discussion in Pets started by Jason76 • Nov 14, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone own pet fish? Has anyone owned them in the past? Do you have any comments regarding the best aquariums to buy and best food? Is there a way to keep them from dying so soon? It seems like many of them never last a week or two.

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I thought it was simple when I first purchased mine but every different kind of fish needs its care. I suggest you listen carefully to the person selling it to you and ask him questions about the fish. If the person doesn't know, don't purchase the fish. Same with the food. Some fish require different kinds of food and some fish require salt water while others don't. Some fish also require colder water and some warmer. Some fish also don't get along with others.

3. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a 50L aquarium before with a silver arowana, a knife fish, and three janitor fishes. It's a pretty good hobby and it helped my folks recover from stress by just staring at the aquarium. They've all lasted for 3 years but I guess they would have lasting longer if only they didn't die because of an earthquake.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have had several aquariums with several kinds if fish. Some survived longer while others died quicker.

I am yet to find out why others don't last long. I used ready made fish food but in the past I used live worms too and had noticed that with live worm the fish grew bigger fast and were much healthier plus they lived upto years!

5. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    This is just my guess but it could be that fishes that feeds on pellet has a shorter life span compared to those fish that feeds on worms and other natural foods.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    May be not quite that because I had the same breed on both types of diets at different points in time.

I feel there are fishes which survive better in the right company while others are loner.

Also some can't withstand 2 day old water and needs daily change despite a filtering pump. May be other's fishes waste products may be toxic to them. But these are just speculations.

7. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    No, you're actually right. I was told that having a janitor fish in the aquarium kills some other fish. Also, there are some fish that does have a defensive enzymes that can be toxic with other fish. So it's actually good if you don't vary the fishes inside the tank. :D

8. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I have owned fish for over 15 years. All different species, all freshwater. I can tell you the MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO to keep your fish (especially new fish) alive and well for many, many years. Never, ever, ever, ever, put them in brand new water. This is a mistake that everyone makes (unless you're REEEALLY into fish)....like I am. What I mean is, the tank needs to be "cycled" first. You actually need to grow some healthy bacteria in the fish tank before you put the fish in. Otherwise, their waste (poo and pee) and even uneaten fish food will turn into dangerous ammonia and nitrites. These literally burn the fish. Without good bacteria (called nitrates, not nitrites)....there is nothing to eat the harmful stuff....and your water turns deadly to the fish. This usually happens after about a week or two, and that's why fish don't last too long for many new fish-keepers who have never done this before.

How do you cycle their tank? It could take up to a month, meaning, don't even buy the fish until the tank is cycled and established. Just fill the tank with water and use a good dechlorinator, get the filter(s) going....and add a little fish food every day or every other day, even though there are no fish in it yet. When the water gets cloudy, just let it look that way. It is cycling itself. After about a month, buy some test strips and check for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. When ammonia and nitrites are at ZERO, and you get some type of nitrate reading (as long as your test strip shows you have some active nitrates - these are the good guys) your tank is ready. If not, wait until you get those readings, do a partial water change before you get the fish (about 40-50% - don't forget the dechlorinator again)....and THEN add the fish. :)

#8Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have never personally owned any, but I used to live with a guy who did, and it was way too much for me. He enjoyed it and they were really cool, but he spent a lot of money and time on it, so just be prepared if this is what you choose.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pet arrowana , It is a carnivorous fish from Brazil and it became an expensive popular pet because it is said to bring good luck. I feed it with meal worms ,tadpoles and male layer chicks. From what I heard, baby mice are popular feeds for it too. I only buy dead frozen animals. I just don't like the idea of feeding alive animals to my fish.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Several years yes I did. We had a small aquarium which is locally made to order. The pet fishes we had may include fresh water specie of fish like gold fish, black moly, bala shark, blue gourami, dward gourami, among others. They are so nice to watch while they are swimming inside the aquarium. My hobby of raising them dies out when I get used to preoccupy myself working online in the Net.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I remember my auncle bought a fish tank and took my cousin and I shopping for fish. Like you said most of the fishes he bought didn’t even survive a week while others are still alive till this date and it has been years now. I guess it all depends on the food, water, and enviroment. Some fishes need different care than others and can only resist certain things. I guess it depends on the fish and their needs. I did notice that having a clean tank helps a lot. Also buying them the proper food is important. I guess it would be a good idea to do some reasearch before buying them.

13. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I had a fish last year, but it didn't last long and it was painful for my kids when he died, so I decided not to get anymore. After the fish died I did some research and realized that if I have two fish they are more likely to last longer because they have company. I wonder if anyone can confirm this?

14. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    When you first get the aquarium, you need to prepare it and fill it with the water. I can't remember how long you are supposed to leave it, but you need to leave the water to stand for a day or so before putting the fish in.

It is also good to have an air filter in the tank so the fish have air. Try starting with some simple fish like goldfish, and only a couple at a time. If one fish gets sick, I would worry that the other fish could easily catch a disease from it, so move that sick one to a different tank if you can.

Also, make sure that you don't overfeed them. The food they don't eat sinks to the bottom of the tank and goes off causing harmful bacteria.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I never personally owned one, but my brother does, he even owned a lobster and a pair of fighting fish. He stopped taking care of them after a year because all of them died except for the arowana. He gave that one away too. He is a bit busy, so the tank doesn't get cleaned regularly to the point that it turns green with moss. I think fish are a pretty high-maintenance type of pet. They're not for the busy person.

16. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a 25L aquarium in our terrace. It was a gift from a friend who also gave me a platinum Koi which became my initial fish pet. The aquarium set up included a filter and an oxygen pump. After eight months, the fish died when there was a massive and prolonged blackout due to a heavy storm.

I then bought five goldfishes which I learned was a hardy variety. They can survive for longer periods of time without the oxygen pump. I fed them flakes and pellets from a fish store. Three died within a year but the two survived and produced fry which had to be separated from their parents as gold fishes are notorious for eating their young. I was only able to rescue two gold fishes. I placed them in a small tank and only transferred them to the main tank when they were big enough. I found it wonderful that I could actually distinguish the goldfishes from each other. The male and the two offspring died one after the other two months before reaching their fifth year. The mother goldfish swam alone on the aquarium until it died six months later. I couldn't bear to give her a companion that might hurt her although friends have suggested that Koi are non-aggressive fishes.

I would attribute their relatively long lives to regular aquarium maintenance and the aquarium set up which was probably entertaining for them as I've put in drift wood and plants. I've also not chosen to put in other fish varieties.

My brother who was very lazy at cleaning his aquarium bought a janitor fish to clean up the aquarium. Whoa! The janitor fish did clean up and almost killed all his pet koi before my brother realized that he had just hired/bought a killer fish.