Paypal's Popularity Over Other Similar Methods Of Payment

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Kaushik Angara • Dec 12, 2016.

1. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal is now accepted everywhere. Paypal's popularity has grown multiple folds over the past 5 years. I do agree that Paypal is one of the safest and secure ways of doing transactions online, but there are other alternatives as well such as PayU, Xoom and Payza etc. I wonder why not many people use the other services as much as they use Paypal. Well, yes, Paypal is internationally accepted in most of the countries and charges only a small amount(2%) for transferring funds but I think we should try out the other alternatives as well.

Since so many people have verified Paypal accounts(bank accounts linked), there is always a security concern and hence using the other methods is always a good alternative.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have already learned the other money processors you have mentioned. I would, however, not to dare to change my PayPal account. I am afraid to risk my money, my payment received for my online writing job. Lately PayPal has improved its security measure to fully secured the account of its members.

I am confident by saying that In

3. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal is not available in every country. For example, in my home country, you can create a paypal account, however, you cannot receive cash. You can send though. However, in order to send, you need to top up your account with bank or card. Sadly paypal does not recognize local banks and cards.

4. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I think paypal is very convenient especially in online transactions.Though its not available in every country,one can still buy goods or even receive payments as long as you have an account.Further more,I have never seen any payment method more secure than PayPal have to confirm every time I am logging in that its me through my email.This ensures that my funds are safe anytime.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    PayPal is a highly reliable service, but sometimes they are safety paranoid, which is just normal considering the volume of transactions they deal with. Recently I noticed that on some of my transactions they charge a fee, and I really don't get why, so it's something I need to investigate.

6. SheleyJ

SheleyJNew Member

Threads:
    PP don't accept here in Bangladesh. But for online payment I mostly depends on Payoneer, Neteller, Skrill. Those really works good for me. lol

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I believe a few factors were involved which gave Paypal this much popularity in the digital payment community, which i will list a few: Their partnership with eBay which is one of the most popular websites, as well as they have been around for ages and their fees are much lower.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I particularly think that the popularity of Paypal (a key factor for customers) is: effectiveness. I've been using Paypal for several years and despite a problem once in a while (not a big deal), the system always meets my needs.

I have no major complaints about it. :)

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think these days many business are moving to other payment gateway system such as stripe, square and few others. The reason being it'd be easier this way for the people to pay. And relying completely on paypal is not a wise move. Many people have moved to payoneer for this reason. I am guessing this way many of them are cutting the loss and potential paypal bans.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have much experience with other methods of payment, and I think PayPal is great and has set the standard for other companies to do the same. At the end of the day it's all about costs, how much does it cost us to use PayPal? Once we realize that we can continue using it or change to another service.

11. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I think the reason that many people use Paypal so often is due to the fact that some of the other alternatives never got the write advertisement or popularity. Plus, there is a chance depending on where you shop at they might not take the alternatives. Paypal is just easier and more convenient.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @NinetyEighty1@NinetyEighty1 Pretty much, advertising rules these days, and also PayPal was the first to appear and established with a good base of happy users that just kept on talking well about it. Guess what, it's really hard for any other company to get to where they are, and the reason is simple: users don't change because they don't feel that need.

#12Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be willing to try other alternatives but thus far, payment processors like PayU, Xoom and Payza are not available in my country. Pioneer might be a good alternative if they can relax their charges and approximate what Paypal is charging its members. Until then, I'd prefer to stick with Paypal to make the best of my online earnings.

Another concern that goes in the way of Paypal is the fact that many online earning sites that offer decent pay only use Paypal as their payment processor.

14. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille That's the problem, most of the other payment processors are either not available or just have fees that are too high to consider.

#14Aug 11, 2017
  15. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille Yep, another great point. PayPal has grown to an extent that most online companies only use PayPal and nothing else, so here's a great reason to have a PayPal account.

Is PayPal charging you a lot of money @Jamille@Jamille? Is there a good way to keep track of what they charge us?

#15Aug 11, 2017
  16. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal is quite upfront with its charges, @to7update@to7update . They only charge $1 per withdrawal to my bank account and it's only because I usually withdraw below $150 on a monthly basis. That's the trick there. If you use a Visa card to withdraw your earnings, you'd be charged a higher amount. I'm using a Union Bank eon account which is both a Virtual Visa Card and bank account. I had my Paypal account verified using the Visa number and I had the bank account number verified later at no charges. If I want to save on Paypal charges, I can let the fund accumulate till they reach $150. However, I use my earnings to pay for my monthly internet/landline bill and electricity so I had to withdraw at least once a month.

Another way for Paypal to earn money off my income is through currency conversion. They always pay in my local currency so I need to convert the dollar at a slightly lower exchange rate of Paypal.

All these charges are quantifiable at the onset and there are no hidden charges at all.

#16Aug 11, 2017
  17. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    I have found PayPal to be widely accepted across many websites. This is convenient for users and they are very reliable. I found that their customer service is excellent. I have used them in more than 2 countries and have experienced no issues. I guess it helps that PayPal has ties with quite a number of banks to ensure quality service.

18. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille In my case, PayPal doesn't charge anything when I withdraw to my bank account, and it's always under $150. At the same time, some transfers I receive pay a fee, and others don't, and I am not entirely sure why that happens.

#18Aug 12, 2017
  19. zolzarr

zolzarrMember

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update From my personal experience, I found out from PayPal that I will be charged a small fee if I may withdrawals below 400 bucks. (in my currency) .Therefore, I always ensure that my withdrawal only happens when I have 400 bucks available in my PayPal account. This transaction takes around 3 working days.

#19Aug 16, 2017
  20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like paypal too and all except one site uses paypal. The one site that doesn't use paypal uses payoneer. Payoneer charges for everything, while paypal is all free. I was surprised when I went to use my payoneer and I had insufficient funds. Upon checking Payneer charges for other things that I wasn't aware of, so I had insufficient funds and couldn't use my Payoneer debit card.