PayPal-related scam...

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by thymeless • Jul 15, 2014.

1. thymeless

thymelessNew Member

Threads:
    I reckon one of the best - and rather uncommon - ways to scam people around the Internet is the use of Paypal transactions for objects that you'd normally pay for upon arriving at your door, like a blender, set of knives and such. On their official site (PayPal's) they say they've got a Buyer Protection system, usable only if the user would strictly agree to a set of given rules. Fair enough, I agree to those, as they're not really much of a big deal. But, the particular issue with it is the fact that the sites need to agree as well to this program and implement it to their site, and they'd have a banner that would clearly offer the site credibility by using PayPal's seal of approval. But, what PayPal doesn't understand is that this banner can EASILY be rigged and implemented on the site anyways, for users then to fall for the easily-made derisive bait. It's pretty sad that a company like eBay simply doesn't give much attention to its users because, overall, we do pay small fees to use their service anyway, it's not free as advertised. I've come across sites like these, some of them were credible because the owners didn't put a mere 5 minutes to build and upload it, and some were not because the aforementioned reason. Luckily enough for me, I know how to distinguish scams for originals, but for people who simply don't have the time to spend all day in front of the computer, it will be a bit more difficult. I will make a thread about this issue, hopefully.
    Anyway, what I suggest you is to just order the product via credible sites with lots of reviews, but not with the credit card nor any available payment processors, as you'd eventually expose yourself to a scam, and Paypal will not be by your side, trust me. They barely imply themselves in issues regarding eBay...

#1Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  2. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    So, how do we figure out who the scammers are? Could you tell us what to look for? I'm interested because I use paypal on Ebay myself and I'd rather not get scammed somehow. Thing is, though, my account isn't verified. I don't have a bank account or credit card attached. I just use cards and other means to put money into it. Ebay is one of the few sites I can use without worrying about that.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Paypal is really good about helping people with Paypal. Or maybe my friends and I got lucky. Not sure, but to be honest, I've never seen scams like these. The scams I have seen is when you try to sell something off of Craigslist, they'll send an e-mail that looks like it is from Paypal saying the sent you x-amount of money. But when you check it isn't there. Plus, they'll end up sending it like a million times. The e-mail looks legit, but it is a load of bull.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I always get these PayPal related scams in my email. I laugh them off because they always ask me to disclose my personal information and send my password to verify my PayPal account. I will say PayPal is very good at sending emails to customers informing them of such scams. They even have a recorded message about these scams on the customer service line when you call PayPal.

5. maRei

maReiNew Member

Threads:
    I have an online shop and I almost got scammed last month. This person, my "buyer", claimed to be living in Europe, but wanted to have her orders drop-shipped to Africa. She said she was gonna pay thru Paypal, but still demanded for my personal details. Told her she only needs my email if she's paying via Paypal. When she failed to get my personal info, she asked that I just send her a Request for Payment. I sent her one and received a Paypal confirmation in my email afterwards, followed by 2 more emails also claiming to be from Paypal.

The last 2 emails looked really questionable. Layout was absolutely different from the first email and has inconsistent format and erroneous grammar. According to the emails, I will only receive payment after I send the package, and reply with its tracking number. So unless provided, I won't be paid. I almost got duped into sending the package without the payment. She ordered around $2000 worth of clothes and I thought it's a big loss if I cancel and she happens to be legit. So what I did was, I searched for the same scenario on the web. I landed on a Paypal forum and the admin there advised everyone not to send items if the transaction on Paypal doesn't say Completed.

So, to buyers and sellers alike, let's all be cautious when transacting online. Paypal may seem secure, but there are loopholes and scammers are techie nowadays.