Paying For Ghostwriters?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by NinetyEighty1 • Jul 21, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    So, I am curious to hear what people think of ghostwriting and using their services. Do you think that it is in a way cheating and immoral? Or do you think ghost writing is a great source for those who struggle with book writing and want to make money? I am currently writing a story online and I'm considering on purchasing a ghost writer to read over and help edit out my piece when it is finished.

2. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    While there are so many reasons why people use ghostwriting services, personally I think it is not write to get someone to write a book for you but market it as written by you. There's just something sneaky and offish about it. Imagine if it emerges that JK Rowling didn't really write Harry Porter. That the story was written for her by someone else. As a fan, you would be shocked and you will feel cheated.

But if there are valid reasons for your wanting to hire a ghost writer then go for it.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see an issue with using a ghostwriter it's like politicians who have speech writers, some people aren't as articulate in expressing what they wish to convey. However, you need to look at why you need one, because from what the OP is saying, you don't need a ghostwriter but an editor. A ghostwriter writes all of the story, and some may help you finish it off, but then you would need to pay more as writing and editing are two different jobs.

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If you need someone to read over and edit your work, what you need is an editor, not a ghostwriter.

People can easily jump to conclusion that hiring a ghostwriter and passing off his/her work is a form of cheating. Not necessarily. I'll admit to having ghostwritten a range of ebooks for clients I haven't even met.

In most cases, the client provides a template for writing the ebook. In many instances, the client will provide the table of contents for the book although he/she will often give the writer some leeway in finalizing the content. The whole job is done according to the client's specifications and I only needed to do the research and give flesh to the outline. Someone else will design the cover of the ebook. Another person edits the book. The client pays for the services and releases the book under his/her name. He/she alone will bear the risk but the rest of the team gets paid. That's a typical e-book production process.

Notice that this is not so different from the way a movie is made. The movie producer invests on a film and hires scriptwriters, directors, actors, and all sorts of production people. In the end, the movie is shown under the producer's name and no one calls it cheating.

5. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I have written tons of articles for clients and they post them online as their own work. Hiring a ghostwriter would look like cheating for some but it isn't a problem for me. I earn quite a few bucks by writing stuff for other people, they want content but do not have the time and the passion to write, I have both of those at my disposal. They would hire me for the time I used for writing and give them what they need, I do not care if they would use the content to make money, I got paid for that already, so I do not really know which part of that is not fair for others.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a copyright issue, a ghostwriter is a work for hire, so basically anything written they no longer own under that contract. It's the same for in-house writers, that they write for their employers and thus do not retain any rights to the work published while they are under that employment.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Just a point of clarification, there are book authors who don't write. They've hired a writer for them. Authors may not necessarily a writer. They have the idea, the story in mind but they may have availed of the services of an editor, but yet they still own the book which their ghoswriters have written for them. I think it may sound clear. I have an experienced as a ghostwriter for a politician. The payment is very juicy for my writing service. I wrote for him twice and I got no problem, but for the third time I refused to write for him for he wanted me to write is all lies, fabrication of ideas just to lure respective voters to vote for him.

8. NinetyEighty1

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona Nice to hear that you stuck by your principles and what was right. If I were to hire a ghost writer for non-fiction I would definitely try not to involve politics or religion within it, it would make things too complicated. If I do it would definitely go in the line of fiction. I was planning on going that method at one point and simply think of the idea and have someone else write the story. However, I rather try to do it on my own and hire and editor.

#8Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that using a ghostwriter is illegal or unethical. But this depends more on the field the writing is done, there are subjects that must be avoided, like politics, campaigns, and religion.

10. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you are a very slow and boring person by nature but in your writings, you have to come out as outgoing, smart and smooth... what are you going to do?
    If you don't have time, skills, school, verbal opulence... or anything... you will hire a professional, right?

Nobody asks anyone if it is immoral to go to the hair saloon to get a hair do, but everybody loses their minds when a person hires a ghostwriter...

Think about that.

11. NinetyEighty1

Threads:
    @annitha@annitha You know, I already decided to hire an editor in the future. However, after putting some thought in it and doing a bit of research I no longer see a problem with hiring a ghost writer. Especially if you have ideas for a book, need money and don't have the time.

#11Sep 4, 2017
  12. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    @NinetyEighty1That is a good thing to know that you liberated yourself from a fake morality.
    If you can pay for any other service, why wouldn't you pay for a person who can edit and check on your style, grammar or ideas?
    Do you really think that all those great writers and public people had no ghostwriters behind their work?

#12Sep 4, 2017
  13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on your needs, I think hiring that kind of service can be a great alternative. If there is an agreement between the two parties, I see no problem in this kind of practice.

14. NinetyEighty1

Threads:
    @annitha@annitha At this point, morality when it comes to ghostwriter really isn't that big of an issue to me. It is sort of in the grey area now. But I do agree with you with the last part about great writers needing ghostwriters.

#14Sep 5, 2017
  15. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit If you go to any freelancing website you will see the numerous projects there connected to the ghostwriting and blogging.
    Many clients buy the content at an extremely low price and then resell it for a bigger price.
    So, nothing is excluded.

#15Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017
  16. Shine_Spirit

Threads:
    @annitha@annitha Yes, I'm aware of it... But I still don't agree with this practice. I think this whole market should be somehow regulated and certainly more valued.

#16Sep 5, 2017
  17. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit Do you mean that you disagree with a ghostwriting in general, or that you disagree with the low price of the service.
    Because it is not the same to be paid 3 cents for a piece and to be paid 300 dollars.
    It depends on the skills and education, but also on the clients, some of them are downright dishonest.

#17Sep 6, 2017
  18. NinetyEighty1

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit I agree with you on that. If both parties are alright with it, then morality sort of becomes relative.

#18Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
  19. Shine_Spirit

Threads:
    @NinetyEighty1@NinetyEighty1 Yeah. The kind of attitude that I really find deplorable is when people want to take advantage of other people's talents without giving them due value / recognition. But unfortunately, these types of people exist.

@annitha@annitha I'm not against this kind of activity (I think it's a profession like any other). What makes me angry is that people want to take advantage of other people's talents without giving them the deserved value / recognition (because this is not a favor, it's a must).

On the question of prices, yes... I find the values relatively unfair.

#19Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
  20. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think paying for ghost writers is in any way connected to cheating considering the fact that it is all about outsourcing works so as not to miss the deadline given to you to complete the work by your clients. The only good thing one can do after a ghostwriter has finished his work is to take a critical look at it before sending it to the clients. Also, ghost writing a book is just a way to make the book sell fast considering the way most online buyers of books look at books written by the whites compared to those written by blacks.

So, I see nothing bad in paying a ghost writer to do the work for you.