#PassengerShaming on Instagram and Facebook

Discussion in Travel started by largecow • Apr 30, 2014.

1. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    Hello, there is a famous hashtag called #passengershaming and they are pictures of passengers or a situation on the cabin that is outrageous and nasty. Ive read some articles that these pictures are submitted anonymously by flight attendants (to a facebook fan group also named as Passenger Shaming) or fellow passengers who rat on each other.

The pictures are pretty funny and an eye opener to the "glory of flying". However, is it only me who feels violated if someone posts a pic of you without persmission and have thousands of people jeer at you??

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's disgusting how low people can stoop these days for cheap publicity even if the posting is done anonymously, the poster privately gloats over how much attention what they've posted got. I think social media has made people think they should be bystanders in everything who need to report everything they see but do nothing to fix something which in some cases [just is bad].

If someone posted a picture of me on the net, the airline would definitely hear from me.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Those were some pretty crazy pictures, but this one took the cake for me. Where on earth would someone even find a pair of these?! (Hypothetical question, I'm not actually looking for a pair)

1237696_572565166112117_1095701221_n.

Honestly I would like to know what airline that is on, because I have never in all my years of flying ever saw people get away with stuff like that on a plane. If I so much as nod off sometimes, and my head tips a little to the side the flight attendant is waking me up. How on earth do they allow these people to take their shirts off, stick their feet into other people's rows, pee in bottles, and other ridiculous nonsense.

I'm wondering if these are even US based airlines, because you would get kicked off the flight for doing anything like this, and possibly arrested when the flight landed if you continued to be unruly.

4. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I just had a look at that image. CRAZY! Maybe it was custom-made for the wearer because to be honest unless you're walking into a gay club, walking around with those pants will get you arrested by the first police officer who sees you.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I hope this doesn't find its way to Megabus coaches because I spend a lot of time on them! I'm going ot have a look at that hash tag when I have a spare hour or two, I like stuff like that, I also like the "embarrassing nightclub pics" group on Facebook. :)

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    While the behavior of the passengers is totally inappropriate in some cases, I would see airline staff fired for taking and posting these images if it were my call. Publicly humiliating someone is not professional and it is not the kind of behavior one would expect from airline staff. In this day and age, we have no privacy when out in public and if we behave badly we can expect to be caught on camera. If the behavior on a plane is bad enough, it should be photographed but then the airline can decide whether or not to ban the passenger from future flights - and that should be the end of it.

7. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I once read this old saying:

"Do everything as if the whole world was watching you."

If someone is doing the right thing, then I don't suppose they should get worried about getting their pictures uploaded on some site. Initially I thought the public 'shaming' was bad but come to think of it, I think it's a great way to deter mild-mannered people who would not have thought of doing something wrong but [might] do it anyway because the passengers they are traveling with are strangers they will not meet again.

p.s I hope they start pics of tourists behaving badly, too.

8. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    i would feel violated if someone posted a picture of me on the internet without my permission. I don't know what goes through people's mind when they take a picture of an individual without their permission, let along, post the picture on the internet. I think it is unethical especially if the picture is taken by an airline worker.