Paperback Vs Hardcover?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Flowerpower • Feb 17, 2015.

1. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I'm a regular reader and have bought lots of books over the years mostly from thrift shops because they're a bargain. The drawback is that most of them are paperbacks and tend to get frayed by use (I like to lend them out and reread the good ones)
    Would you buy a hardcover over a paperback even if it would cost you a little more money?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer a paperback as they are lighter to carry around and cheaper. I rarely buy hardback books, they are usually cookbooks or art books rather than novels. When I was studying hardback books were so heavy to carry around and cursed the authors each day. I'm not to fussed, as it's the content of the book that matters and I look after my books well.

3. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Ah, yes I'd forgotten about this drawback, I like to carry my novels around in my handbag but I can't do that with a hardcover as they're so bulky.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I'd prefer a paperback as they are convenient to carry around and you can put it in your bag. Hardback books are also nice as they are much durable and doesn't get frayed easily but they are a bit heavy to carry. I don't have any problem with my paperback books getting frayed as I always make sure to cover them after I purchasing. And I'm a bit choosy as to who can borrow my book. I make sure that the borrower can take good care of my book and will return it in the same condition that she borrowed it.

5. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I would prefer paperback, they are portable. Since I do not have any friends who borrow books from me, once I have read a book, they go straight to a bookshelf and don't get used again, till I want them. So I do not have the problem of durability for my paperbacks. I also find hardbacks cumbersome to use for reading as I read sitting and sleeping in different positions and hardbacks are not made for that.

6. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    I prefer paper backs over hard cover books. Carrying a hard cover book everywhere I go puts a heavy load on my back and my backpack. However, this is probably because I do not mind if the pages or book get frayed. To me, this shows the age of the book, which I enjoy seeing.

I recently ordered Fahrenheit 451 as a paperback. I cannot wait till it comes in! I'll make sure to review the book materials and the book itself once I get it.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I know it is terrible, especially if you fancy yourself a bibliophile (as I do) but I hate hardcover. I know that the author makes the most on the hardcover of books, but I just hate how they feel and how hard and uncomfortable it is to hold and read them. I'll take paper back any day over hard cover.

I'd almost be in favor of supporting an author who only puts a book out in paperback. Cheaper to make and much more comfortable. All my favorite must-own books I have in paper back. I find they are far more inviting to read that way.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer hardbacks, because they feel much more high quality and nicer to read. However, the sad thing is that they are much more expensive to buy, so I don't get them very often. The only time that I will buy a hardback book is if it is something that I have been really excited about reading, because they often only come out in hardback for a while before being released in paperback. So if I really can't wait then I do that, but most of the time I will stick to paperback because they're that much cheaper that I can't really warrant going for the more expensive alternative.

9. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have no real qualms between paperbacks or hardcover. However, I want to read wherever I want to read. This means that I want to bring my books in public places. The hardcovers will weigh more and it is a strain on my shoulders to carry them. That is why I want to have paperbacks when I go out of the house. Inside the house though, I am find with reading hardcovers. Its quality can make it last longer.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer paperbacks just because they're lighter and cheaper. But I don't really care that much what kind as long as I can hold it perfect but for books, like novels and other thick books I tend to go paperback.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of hard covers. I prefer paperbacks because I could take them anywhere. I could fit two books or more inside my bag. Whenever I feel bored at some place or while on a ride, I could just easily take out a book from my bag and read.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I'm solvent enough, I see no reason why I shouldn't buy hardcover books or prefer them over paperback covers. You see, when you happen to love a story so much, you'd do anything to have the best version of its container. Some people are economical readers, the less they spend on books, the more valuable their reading experience becomes. Others are more sentimental. They prefer to invest in and collect hardcovers for a memorable reading experience.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer paperbacks too. Hardbacks are not worth the additional ~$10-20 to buy. If they cost the same, as you said in the opening post, I may think about it, but even in general, I'm more comfortable holding and reading a paperback.

14. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Hardback books are always my choice. They cost extra money, but they last extra long. When buying something, I always consider the long term benefits first. There is no reason to keep buying cheap products that will break in a few minutes, rather than a sturdy product that will last for years. It really depends on the durability of the item as well.

15. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I always go for paperbacks. Cheaper, easily transportable and in the end you buy a book for its content, not its cover. People here are saying hardbacks will last a lifetime, and they're right, but unless we're talking about a bible, encyclopedia or something you want to have around for a while, why not give away the book when you're finished? I always prefer to share books after I'm done with them.

16. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to prefer hard-cover books. For one thing, they are more durable and last longer than the soft-cover ones. Most of my books are kept on a bookshelf at home. I do not usually travel around with books, so the weight of the book is not an issue with me. I have quite a lot of hard-cover books in my possession right now, including some old encyclopedias (which I have not read in a while). There are also some cookbooks as well as health books and books with religious content. Most of the soft-cover books I have are magazines.

17. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I love hardcover. They stack better, whereas paperback tends to be all slippery and easily bent out of shape. I prefer to keep myself in good condition, generally.

18. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer hardcover, but I do enjoy reading paperbacks because they are light and they are not heavy to lug around in my purse. I can't travel around with big hardcovers anymore. My shoulder starts to hurt because my bag gets too heavy. I have never bought a hardcover at retail price. I always get them used.

19. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    I almost buy only paperbacks books. Of course they are cheaper and that helps a lot, but the main reason is that hardcover books are way more difficult to carry around, not to mention heavier. I always read in the train or in the bus, so paperback books are an obvious choice. On top of that it's not worth to pay more just to have a rigid cover: I've never ruined a book, and even the oldest books in my library are in a decent state.

20. Narumiya

NarumiyaNew Member

Threads:
    When I still bought paper books, I mostly bought paperbacks. Like everyone has said, they're usually cheaper, and lighter and easier to carry around. The covers do get frayed with time, I know, but I take good care of my books so that isn't much of an issue.

I did buy hardcovers before - mostly for series that I really love, since I can't wait for paperback editions to be released just so I can read them. I do see the appeal in hardcovers; they're beautiful (especially when you display them on your bookshelves without their dust jackets!) and really sturdy.