Paid or Free games

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Peninha • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are tons of place where we can play free games, yet there is a billion dollar market for games and consoles. What's your case, do you prefer to play free or paid games? If you're making, why do you do it considering there are free alternatives?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer free games, obviously because I don't have to spend money on them, but I'm open to paying for one if they are good enough and cheap enough as well. I prefer to get games on promo periods because there are already a lot of free games I could just play on while I wait for a price cut, and I'm not the type to be too eager that I'd want to play a game as soon as it is released. I have no problems waiting a while as that even gives me the opportunity to read reviews first so I could really be sure that my purchase will be worth it.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Free games have never been able to match the features and immersion of paid games, so they're relatively useless unless you're talking about mobile games. Even then, the differences between a free game on mobile and it's $1.99 paid version can be huge. I have no problem paying for games because there are incredible titles out there that free games can never hope to match or compete with. Plus, there's no such thing as a free game. Free games on mobile come with added advertisements, and free games often feature pay-to-win downsides.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not so much on preference as availability of resources. Right now, although I'd love to experience enjoyable paid gaming, my sources of income can only provide me with what I need. Paid gaming is a luxury I cannot afford as of the moment. Thus, due to my current circumstances, I'd much prefer free gaming. Free games are just as enjoyable. And I think reaching a difficult level without investing money makes you feel honored.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days I play only FREE games because there are so many good ones being made [but can't be sold] that unless you are one of those hardcore-gamers you wouldn't be missing much if you stuck with playing the free ones. Personally I prefer games which were classics back when I was young. There are hundreds of them online. Why would I spend cash when the games I loved best are free?

#5Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer paid games as there is a level of quality that I expect and usually receive. Free games, especially on my phone usually comes with ads and I just don't abide ads in something that I use often. If I like the app, I'll normally pay if it has an ad free option. Truthfully, I don't understand people that want everything to be free nowadays. I think the ability to "torrent" everything has made people entitled into believing that they don't have to pay for the things they consider pleasures in life.

7. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    When it comes to my phone, I get free games. When it comes to the families xbox 360, we make sure that we get games that we will actually play. If it is a new game that has came out, we always rent it first to make sure that we will actually like it. It eventually pays off when we buy games on the xbox with how much we play them. We never pay full price for a game though. We wait until a year later or until it is half off. Free games are awesome but you do not find them often for big consoles. My phone only has free games because their prices are stupid. Literally pointless to get a game that is not going to last long on your phone.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I really prefer one over the other, just because when I've gotten games, I've always gotten free games for my phone, just because of a lack of money at the time. I never seen any paid games that I just had to have.

9. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Even producers of free games make money. Instead of making a profit from sales costs, they throw in dozens upon dozens of adds into their free game and make their money from advertisements. I'm not sure of anyone who take the time to make and produce a game for free without some type of profit goal in mind. There are also thousands of free games that offer options for 'upgrades' or special items for a small fee, but the actual game itself is free.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Talking strictly about mobile apps, free games are usually better. Most of the time you pay for the app only to get bored of it a few months later, if it even lasts that long.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that when you pay for a mobile app the big plus is that the annoying advertising goes away. As for other games I always go with the free ones because I am not a huge gamer, so a simple free game is good for me.

12. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    While thee are definitely tons of really good free games on market right now, you'll have to admit that premium games are where the real fun lies. I prefer paid games for sure.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer playing free games. Though these games sometimes require you to spend actual money to unlock some stuff, they are still fun. As much as possible, I do not want to spend money on games because I easily get bored of them. When it comes to mobile games, I really don't spend at all.

14. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    If it's free it's me. I think I've only paid for one game and that's because I had a gift card for it. I can't justify paying money for a phone application. I pay enough money as it is for my stupid phone. Why stress over something that's supposed to help you chill and relax after a stressful day?

What's the most money you ever spent on an application? Was it worth it to you?

15. ChrisW

ChrisWNew Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a game for my phone or my iPad, but I have made in-game purchases. That is one of the main business models the developer use to profit on free games. They get you hooked on the game, but as you keep leveling up, it gets progressively harder to make that next step. So you spend $5 for cool new in-game items and now the game isn't really free anymore.

Normally I will play a free game until I am really itching to spend money on it, and then just drop it for something else. There are always newer, better games with fancier graphics coming out every week now.

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I probably spend more time playing free games than the games I pay for. I have an Xbox, but I get bored of the 10 games or so that I have. Free games are easy to load up, there are so many to choose from and I play a lot of free apps on my phone.

17. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't acquire free games unless we are mainly discussiing free game apps, in which case I would surely vouch for free games over paid games. Sure you may have some ads to deal with, but you don't have to pay for anything and get to enjoy the game if you like it. Paid game apps can be great for play but are risky to purchase because you might not even come to draw a liking to the game or may not even work right and your money goes flushing down the toilet. But if we are talking about paid games for console, then I'm all for paid games because I know what I want to buy from what I don't.

#17Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  18. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would rather prefer to use the paid games than the free games. I believe that the free games are never very interesting and gun. Also the paid games are not very costly at least not as much as the video games. I enjoy quite a lot of paid games.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, paid games are better haha, but I can't agree that they aren't costly, but this also depends on how much money we have. Even when we buy a bundle of games for let's say $10, how much food could we buy with that money?

20. tjmsrubegoldberg

tjmsrubegoldbergNew Member

Threads:
    I don't believe there are many games that are truly free. Most games that market themselves as free make money through advertisements or in-app purchases. It does give a little bit more of a choice to the player, but I highly doubt that the rise of "free" games will ever threaten paid games.

It's certainly nice to have a free option for a lot of mobile games. It allows the user to try out the game to see if they like it without investing any money in a game they might play once and then be stuck with. However, I tend to prefer paid games over games that are exclusively free because it seems like most mobile games that are "free" are infested with irritating advertisements or virtually unavoidable in-app purchases. I've tested out a fair amount of free games, and quite a few of them have some method of limiting how much you can play by forcing you to either wait for a certain amount of time or buy an in-app purchase to eliminate the wait.

For free-to-play games on PC and consoles, it seems as though there are generally fewer underhanded practices such as the ones that plague the mobile gaming industry. While IAPs still exist for things like in-game currency or extra skins, it's usually less intrusive and more of an option available to players who want to support the developer. I generally stick to paid games for these as well though, as I prefer to buy the full game all at once rather than piece by piece through microtransactions.