Packing For A Trip

Discussion in Travel started by whysewserious • Aug 30, 2016.

1. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I always tend to under pack and end up with not enough to wear when I travel. I have looked up capsule wardrobes on sites like Instagram for inspiration on how to pack enough to really mix and match without needing to look like I am moving to a new country with what I bring.

Ladies, and tips for packing jewelry in a way that you won't lose it?

I also started rolling my clothes instead of folding them on my last trip and it enable me to bring more clothing.

Shoes also take up a lot of space - any thoughts on that? I like to take a comfortable pair of flats, a neutral dress shoe, and tennis shoes or hiking boots depending on where I am going.

My next trip I will be able to take a checked bag as well as a carry-on (usually I have only been able to take the carry on bag).

If you have any special tricks you use when packing, I would love to hear them! Thank you!

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had a short trip last weekend and I cannot say that I have overpacked because we are frequent travelers so I am used to packing things particularly the clothes that we need. Yeah, I also roll the clothes as per the advice of one travel channel that you can save on space that way. But with jewelry, I don't bring any when we travel because it might just give us some problems.

By the way, whenever we would take the plane, our baggage is carefully weighed so we wouldn't be charged for excess baggage, that's pretty expensive.

3. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    Thankfully we can check two free bags, apparently, but I only plan on bringing one so as to avoid the weight charges. I usually leave quite a bit of empty space in my carry on luggage so if we do happen to buy any memorabilia while out and about, I have a place to put it. I am not too big on kitschy souvenirs, but inevitably I find something along the way that I really like.

I had a friend locally tell me to get those little bead organizers that have compartments to pack jewelry in because it keeps the pieces separate. I never bring real jewelry though, just my costume jewelry. I thought I would share in case it was helpful to anyone else.

4. sidjohn

sidjohnMember

Threads:
    I really like your way of packing to keep some extra space while packing and ty to make it light weight. I also make sure to keep both of these points in mind while packing for a trip as these days going for los angeles to las vegas tour to have fun with buddies.

5. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    When I pack for a trip I take as little as I possible can. I also roll my cloths and find clothes that are of thinner material (thinner clothes roll smaller, unless I am going somewhere cold!) Usually me and my husband can pack everything we need for a week in a backpack and we take a small extra backpack or bag to bring stuff back as a carry on if needed. Shoes I wear tennis shoes and then pack dress sandals. I also pack a thin sweater/jacket to mix my wardrobe up, I literally pack one outfit for everyday, one extra outfit, 2 -3 relaxing outfit/nightgowns, undergarments and a toiletry bag and that is it. Dresses are a big space saver also!

6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The problem of underpacking is a common mistake especially when due to to unavoidable circumstances, the travelling schedule changes. One of the factors that can precipitate this is weather patterns. A traveller might find self spending additional cash to cater for shortage in utilities at less than friendly prices depending on the destination.

7. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    This is totally me. I roll my clothes too. I don't need a lot of different shoes either, all I need is a good pair of tennis shoes and if it is summer time....I'll pack maybe two pairs of sandals for a little variety.

8. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I also prefer to pack as little as possible i used to pack things those are really necessary for me and avoid to keep things those i could have easily from my destination or place from where i am going. As i love shopping and love to spend time at in shopping.

9. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Short bag easy to carry and easy to take with you, less worry.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some people I know who will pack two shirts, a few T-shirts and three or four pairs of jeans. That's all they need for any trip. I suppose we can do without too many clothes when traveling. You won't have to pay any extra baggage fees. Whenever you can, travel light.