Overspending During Christmas : How To Avoid This And Save Money

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Heatman • Dec 13, 2017.

1. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas seasons is around the corner and it's the most busy period of every Christian family, it's a period that never goes unnoticed because of the kind of engagements people find themselves in, especially when it comes to shopping and spending.

If you happen to get a several shopping malls it's over crowded on daily basis, and one begins to wonder, don't people get tired of spending this season to at least save more money for the coming year?

Personally, I work against overspending during Christmas seasons by making preparations earlier on from October and getting stuffs at cheaper prices compared to the cost of products during December period.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    You have your own way of spending your money. Others are doing it too especially if they are just earning a meager income. Actually not all items sold during this Christmas Seasons cost lot of money. One thing notable is the influx of many shoppers. Well, for those big money spenders during this Yuletide seasons are those who have received bonuses, their financial Christmas gifts. That means they have enough money spend for Christmas.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    As I have become older my Christmas shopping list seems to be getting smaller. Some of my good friends tell me not to buy them anything and my parents are now gone so I tend to concentrate on the immediate family I have left. Most of my money goes on presents for my granddaughter because I always think that Christmas is a magical time for children.

4. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true, if you seat down and analyze the direction at which Christmas spending goes, you would notice that a greater percentage of the spending falls mostly on buying children stuffs and food stuffs.

Children takes to Christmas with much excitement more than adults do lately and it's probably because of their age. I only trying getting them their gifts and clothes on time before the heat of the season draws too near in order to make savings from inflated prices.

5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    It is normal to overspend in the month of December. The many offers makes people believe everything that was expensive is now cheap. This makes people to shop more even for things they won't need for the holiday season.

So basically, people shop to store. They want to keep things they will need in January. They know when new year comes, everything will be expensive and there won't be enough money to shop because of new responsibilities.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    You have a point here but there are some stuffs especially food things that can't be kept for too long prior to Christmas season especially if there are no good storage facilities. As for clothes, shoes, decorations and others it's good plan to buy them when the celebration is still far to enjoy great discounts.

7. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well regardless of how many tips you get or which strategies you will follow, your best choice is to be disciplined and all goes well.

8. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a timely topic because it is already Christmas season. My share in saving money is with the gifts. A month before, you should already be making the list of gifts with the corresponding amount. And you have to stick to the amount because for sure, when you go shopping, the prices will differ and you tend to overshoot your budget. With the food, there's always the leftover so be prepared to eat the leftover to avoid wasting food.

9. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I failed to buy things during the November period and have decided not to spend much during this period for that singular reason. The country we live in is one that prices of products skyrocket during this period and I'm not willing to pay more during this time.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's true, the perishable stuffs are an exception because there is no way to store them without getting spoilt. But for grains and other commodities that can stay a very long time without being damaged by pest or environmental conditions, it's best to make plans and buy them earlier.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Seriously, I have never seen any Christmas seasons where things are cheap to be honest. It's always high but people don't really care about the price but the availability of such products they seek.

The reason for this is that there is increased demand for several commodities and the more you delay looking for cheaper ones the stock would run out and you will be left with nothing.

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I always read that it's good to make a plan before Christmas or any holidays, so we will not overspend and we will not get overwhelmed by the things we need to prepare and buy too. I think some people might save money throughout the year and wait until Christmas, as they know they want or need to spend a lot. I would prefer a simple holiday where I don't need to get myself overwhelmed or overspent, it should be a time to cherish among family members and friends.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the spendings are related to
    Clothing items
    food
    home decoration
    gifts
    You can cut expenses on your christmas clothes by reusing the clothes you bought last year, you can also reuse your last year's decoration items to save money on home decoration. Send gifts to only those who send you gift, this tactics will save you a lot of money.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas is one event where we just do not look at our budget. As I have already stated elsewhere my joy is to throw a party for the less privileged and it costs us a bomb to have that party each year.

15. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Discipline is good there is no arguing that but seriously during Christmas seasons, there is always the tendency of one being taken by the event of things that one wouldn't know when he/she is carried away on spending spree. This has happened to me several times, and before I realized whats happened I have spent more than I bargained for.

16. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea @Alexandoy@Alexandoy, I will definitely see how to incorporate that into my plans any festive seasons. But about making a list, both of us know that definitely we all deviate from such list and spend outside it :D. I haven't made any buying list and stick to it to the latter. Although the list helps I would deny that.

17. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    This is a very good idea, thanks for sharing such. Festive season normally come with a great rush and as such people tend to careless about the prices given them when buying their needed commodities, so they are always taken advantage of.

But if one can buy most of the things he or she needs before the heat of the season, especially non-perishable commodities, there is always a chance of saving more money and not falling a victim of price hiking by sellers.

18. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes @Martinsx@Martinsx it's very important to plan and buy ahead of time because it's the only to avoid falling a victim of the Christmas rush that causes artificial inflation of prices of commodities.

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 Planning ahead of time is everything when it comes to any holidays, even the ones you termed a simple holiday. Believe me, the holiday you call simple might be a big one to another, thereby making it hard for you to have it easy as you presumed.

20. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks anyways for sharing this tips for me, it's definitely going to be very useful for me coming next seasonal festivities because this year's Christmas is already around the corner and I believe that the rush and artificial inflation of prices of commodities are all in full effect.