Organic dog food?

Discussion in Pets started by meieden • Jun 4, 2012.

1. meieden

meiedenNew Member

Threads:
    Do any of you have recommendations for a good organic dog food that your dogs love? We purchase Fromm's dog food in Texas from Natural Pawz, but it is pretty expensive. I'd like to be able to save some money on organic dog food, but my dogs are picky eaters and don't really like a lot of the mainstream organic brands like Wellness.

2. Amcotts

AmcottsNew Member

Threads:
    I think I've already shared about it that I'm nature native and love it. Whats your opinion about the raw food
    and frozen food?
    I'm concerned about the raw food. As we know that it is consist of millions of bacteria and germs. The frozen
    and branded food are comparatively better but there may be a food quality threat.
    Hope you have got it.

#2Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've never fed my dogs on organic food, and they're fit, healthy and full of life at almost seven years old. Dog food is actually more strictly regulated than most human processed food, so a reputable brand should provide your dog with everything it needs for healthy life. Occasionally, I give them free range chicken or scrambled eggs for a change. The only time they ever go to the vet's is for their shots or to be groomed, so we must be getting it right. I believe organic dog food is a waste of money - just like organic human food.

4. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Dog food is strictly regulated but many gross things are allowed - it's not against the law at all. Dog food definitely isn't human grade except possibly for a few organic ones. There have been reports of euthanised pets being put into dog food, collars and all. That's rare, maybe, but who knows? That's the thing, no one really knows what's in their dog's food.

Preservatives, colors, corn, gluten and other unhealthy fillers and ingredients are found in dog food. Many foods are really horrible and have a low meat content, when the food should be mostly meat. I don't think you need to buy organic food but it should be high quality, no corn and junk - brands like Blue Wilderness, Artemis, Innova, Wellness, Oirjen, Taste of the Wild, Canidae, Acana, etc are really good. There's a LOT to choose from (well in the US at least, some countries have limited options).

I think raw is best though. Natural, you can't get any healthier than raw (if done properly - there should be variety to the meats and organs etc), chewing on meaty bones and such keeps teeth and gums healthy, best for digestion, good for mental stimulation, you know exactly what's in their food, no sugars and starches and things that provide a good breeding ground for bacteria in their teeth and gums, etc.

Bacteria from raw meat isn't a problem for healthy dogs, they were made to digest raw meat. They have a fast digestion system, unlike our own, which means bacteria such as salmonella doesn't have time to make them sick. Really it's only possibly a problem for immune compromised pets.