Online pet supply retailers--are they really cheaper?

Discussion in Pets started by CinnamonBear • Aug 29, 2012.

1. CinnamonBear

CinnamonBearNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone really save money by using the online pet supply sites? We shop at one out of necessity, because our cat requires a special kidney function diet food that isn't sold in stores. The supplier is fast, cheap, and fairly economic if we time our orders to coincide with shipping promotions. Otherwise, shipping can be relatively expensive.

However, I can't imagine using this supplier (or any of the other ones) as a regular source for cat food that we can buy locally. The online prices on both food and treats tend to be much higher than the store prices here.

Anyone have this same experience?

2. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    I have been impressed with Dog.com, for their prices and their shipping cost and speed. We save more than 20% on Greenies there, and they frequently have sales, too. I can't say that everything is cheaper - there's most always some items you can find elsewhere cheaper - but they have been priced well, shipped quick and at a very reasonable fee (often 5.95 for the whole order, but they run shipping promotions, too). They also own Cat.com and Horse.com (and others, I believe), for all your pet needs.

3. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I think you can find low prices if you shop around. Especially use online pet retailers for petmeds. No matter how awesome your vet is, you are going to be paying more for heartworm and flea/tick treatments at the vets.

The key with online is to find free shipping deals. From that point on keep an eye on your prefered site for sales.

Since I live in the country and the pet store is an hour sway online can be much more cost effective!

4. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    Be sure to let your Vet know what prices you find - a lot of them are matching prices, too - but they won't tell you when they're cheaper, they'll match that price, too!