Okay, I'm Paying Way Too Much For Landline...

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by RomanAnthonysMama • Jan 17, 2015.

1. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    In my area, we have Fairpoint as a landline provider. I am so confused, because we had the same company in the last place I lived, and I was only paying thirty dollars for one landline and internet service. Now, we're paying over a hundred. I guess it has something to do with when I signed up before, I did so during some deal, and that's why it was so cheap. However...I just think over 100 dollars for landline and wireless is nuts. What is the average range you pay for the same thing? I'm curious to see if I'm paying way too much now, or if I was just paying way too little before!

2. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, not a lot of people use landlines anymore unless they are older or don't use cellphones but that is rare.
    When we had a landline I think we paid $50 a month for the landline and DSL connection
    I would say $100 a month is far beyond ridiculous but a lot of companies price gauge for reasons only known to them.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First of all, yes, the deals make a big difference. You might be able to call and speak to a salesperson. Let them know you will be discontinuing your service if they don't offer you a better deal. That usually persuades them to give you whatever discounts they can.

Secondly, as Ang said, you could give up your land line. We did, because our bill just seemed to keep growing. It was ridiculous. We now have internet service only through the phone company (only service in the area for internet). We use our cell phones mostly, but we also have NetTalk for a land line. It's a huge savings. There is an initial cost to buy the package and then it is $39.95 per year. Less than $4 per month. We have never looked back.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I thought paying almost fifty dollars a month was high which is what my phone bill is. But having to pay a hundred dollars is pretty excessive. To be honest if I could convince some of the family that I live with to do so I would get rid of my landline all together and go with only cell phones. but unfortunately one of my brothers refuses to get a cell phone and the other can't seem to wrap his head around the fact that we could function without a land line. So, because they help pay the bills of the house we still have a land line phone.

5. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I have Magic Jack and pay $100 for FIVE YEARS! I can call anywhere in the United States and it works great. The only downside is it will not connect to fax, alarm systems or satellite boxes, which I don't need anyway. I also bundle my CenturyLink with my satellite and get it for $31 per month. So I spend about $35 per month for both.

I suggest you do some shopping because I pay the same amount for my phone, satellite and internet that you pay for just internet and land line. Honestly I think land lines are for the most part obsolete anyway and would not even have one if I hadn't found the great deal that I did.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, Bombshell, that is cheap. I love NetTalk, which is similar to Magic Jack. I'd never go back to a land line.

How the heck did you get such a great deal from CenturyLink? I pay more than that for just Internet. What kind of Internet speed do you get with that package? I cancelled my satellite, because that was also too expensive. If I could get both for less than what I pay for Internet, that would be quite a bargain.

Is it only an introductory deal, or does the bundle price stay the same long term?

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a landline for about 4 years now. I really don't feel any need any longer. For overseas chats I really on Skype and Viber, and for general calls I use my smartphone for everything.