Off The Grid

Discussion in Utilities started by LilAnn • Jun 15, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Assuming you had the materials, could you live off the grid? And I mean electric and water are offline for who knows how long. I would be able to stay alive for a while. I'm not going to starve to death, anyway. Not right now, anyway. With my husdand's help I think I would be able to survive, in time we would have out own source of electricity, and he can grow a garden like you wouldn't believe!

2. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I was actually just having this conversation with a co-worker and she brought up the point that in some places its ILLEGAL to live off the grid.
    I told her that's crazy how in the world can there be laws against that. Did a little research and she was right!
    Like this poor lady:

I also found these two articles:

It seems it "mostly" has to do with city codes mandating that dwellings have proper city water hook up and sanitation and the like.
    So please do your research before you go along with a plan like this! Might land you in (city supplied) hot water.

3. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    The first case unheard about was up in the north west. A man was catching rain water in a couple of tubs and refining it. Personal use only. He got in trouble for it, big time. I don't know what those sort of laws are around here, but I would beyond angry if that happened to me. The lady in Florida ( if its the same one I read about a while back), had to have it put in, right? But didnt necessarily have to use it? It's still so messed up if that's true or not. We aren't allowed to own land, and do with t as we like, without notoriously greedy electric company getting their share? It's sick.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is more about sanitation and keeping other people safe and free from harmful germs. Before sanitation when people were throwing their waste both food and personal out on the streets people were sick. Look at the people in Africa that have no sanitation, when the floods come they are walking thru human feces. Is that something you would want to do? Not me, I say enforce the laws to keep us all healthy we worked hard to get to this point of well being.

5. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, that makes sense. But I think if that was their only concern they shouldn't have brought the electric company into it, because electricity has no dog in that fight. Not to mention if she has her own source, (solar panels, generator, what have you), that's even LESS reason. And, of course, the argument that she can do what she on her own land. I don't believe someone else's greed should have any bearing on how other people choose to live their lives.

6. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    I could probably live off the grid, if I could figure out how to cook things like rabbit and squirrel. Now, my kids? That's a totally different story. They are so locked in to technology, I think they would go nuts without television for more than a few days. Oh, the times we live in now...

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watched something a while ago about people living off the grid. It seems a lot of people go all "damn the man" and try it, but are back in the city and living under the man again within the year lol. Right at this moment, I really think I could. I would be absolutely happy to live in a tent the rest of my life, because I know where happiness truly comes from and it follows me everywhere lol... beyond that, all I need is food and my family.

8. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I COULD live in a tent. I did for a few months several years ago. I didn't mind the lack of electrity and technology. But I missed my bed SO bad. If I could live in a building, off the grid, I wouldn't pass that up. The only thing keeping my husband and me from doing it right now is not having the $ to start with the solar panels.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be easy for me to live off the grid because I did spend some time with people who do, for more than one year. These people were very religious and did all they could protect their children from the negative influences of the hell-box/TV. It was hard to get bored though because there were many books to read.

I suppose that if circumstances called for it, I could live off the grid and I wouldn't miss anything. In fact I'd have even more time to do something I enjoy —reading.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    hmmm, I maybe could do it, but I am not sure if I would like it. To be honest, I like most people are addicted to my computer, phone, TV and other gadgets of modern living. If you had your own generator ot make electricity I think I would be much happier. If I had good books, I mean books that were really good, and people around me to talk to, it would probably be OK.

11. XLS

XLSMember

Threads:

I grew up overseas where the lights always went out and well you guessed it Gas was expensive. We would cook outside over fire a lot. Not only was it healthier but made room for bonding. Society has really become spoiled and we are driving our natural resources to possible extinction. I think I would be able to handle a couple of weeks off the grid. In all honesty, for me, it would be refreshing. Power to the mountain girl!

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This makes for very interesting reading! -and kudos to those who can successfully pull it off. BUT it's definitely NOT something for me. I like my home comforts way too much and would struggle to adjust LOL I mean, I'm not even that big a fan of camping. The most I'll willingly do is maybe 2 days. Beyond that, I'm ready to kill someone. I'd only do it if I had absolutely no choice.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think I could live off the grid if I had no choice as well. Some of these reality shows like living in Alaska or one of the survival shows offer good insight on that type of lifestyle. They make you wonder 'Where do you go to use the bathroom?' They never show that.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No thanks to living off the grid. I like my comforts of home, tv, computers, telephone, cars, bathrooms with wash basins and all the luxuries and modern amenities we can afford. I give all of you credit though for being able to live off the grid. I wouldn't be able to survive...don't know how to hunt, know a little about shore fishing, but not enough to live off, don't know how to get clean water for drinking and showering, no thanks I like living in modern times.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe and that's one of the things I wouldn't be happy about LOL I like having access to the bathroom as and when I need it. -and showers.....oh man, I love a good scrub down in the shower. I mean, some of the camping sites I've been to have decent ablutions, but even then I still don't feel as clean as is comfortable for me. Cooking by open fire, the smoke sticks to your skin and hair, and it's just not for me at all :(

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would relish living off the grid. There are too many adjustments and adaptations to survive there. I won't be able to perform like a jack-of-all-trades which is very much a requirement in that situation.
    Therefore, I prefer to continue with where I now enjoy a relatively comfortable environment, than to go off into a very physically demanding environment.

17. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    In the tropics where I come from, many people are living off the grid though electricity and water connections have been boosted. There is a certain earthy and a happy quaint feel to it and predisposes people to be innovative to maximise on the exploration of the environment to look for cheap alternate sources of sustenance. It also saves on expenses that would occur if one was on the grid.

18. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I actually lived basically off-grid for almost 2 years. I did have a job, so I worked where there were bathrooms, water, and electricity; but at home, I had to haul water, and heat with a kerosene heater.
    I would not do it again, although I know that people who have actually put time and money into setting up an off-grid home and lifestyle can actually do it a lot more comfortably than someone who just moves out to the middle of nowhere and starts trying to live offgrid.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband dreams of having a solar panel on our roof that would give us not only free electricity but clean energy as well. However, his research remains pointed to the grid which is the most practical in terms of cost. The solar panel costing $100 in the Chinese electronic shop is quite cheap if it can really produce 100 watts of free electricity for a long time. By the way, the battery costs more than the panel so the complete system runs to about $300. The question is the durability because if that solar panel system would last for only a year then it is not economical... and we suspect that it cannot even last a year.

20. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Living off the Grid is too time consuming without the comfort of modern technology. Some people will go to the wilderness and live in the ancient way. That's fine, but how much time do they have to devote themselves in doing dailies like foraging,harvesting, maintenance etc.?. I like to perform other activities instead of spend the whole day doing chores that requires succesfully living off the grid.

Why do you think Supermarkets exist? You trade money for all the time needed to harvest crops, raise cattle and hens, distill alcohol and other beverages etc. When living off the grid, you have to perform most of these activities that capitalism already allowed you to save time from doing them for an affordable price. No problems with that? Go for it.