Number Of Electrical Appliances In Determining Electricity Costs.

Discussion in Utilities started by mildredtabitha • Sep 2, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I always feel that the more electrical appliances you have, the more you will spend on electric bills. This might not be totally true for those who have many electrical appliances with only few of them running.

I always went to check the units and calculated how much it dropped. I noticed that when the fridge, TV, elctrical heater and decoder were on, the units would drop significantly. I recommend for those who have more than 5 electrical appliances to try and turn off the ones not in use so as to save on electric bills. ;)

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I believe that turning off some electrical appliances will help to save on energy costs. Many times we neglect to turn off fans, lights, and air conditioners when their use is not necessary. I would not, however, as some people may suggest, turn off my fridge to save on energy. The best thing for me is that when the times comes for me to purchase appliances is to acquire those that have led and inverter technology where applicable and to turn off those appliances whose usage is not necessary at a specific time. These measures will more than likely help to save quite a bit on energy costs.

3. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    The number of electrical appliances is definitely related to the consumption of electricity, so it's best to turn off electrical appliances when not used.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have countless of appliances at home, from living room to kitchen. But we don't run them all at the same time. When the air conditioner is running, the fans are not. They say that many appliances running all at the same time boosts energy consumption so we limit the use of our appliances.

5. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. Also unplug those appliances that are not in use, because they tend to consume electricity too even if those appliances are not in use.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    It's not really the number of appliances that determines electricity cost but their wattage and the frequency of use. I always have the wattage in mind when buying appliances and in choosing which brand to buy. For instance, some brands of electric fans have higher wattage for the same performance that you may expect from other brands with lower wattage. Bigger fridge generally have higher wattage and if you have a small household with average needs, it may be more economical to buy medium sized refrigerators.

Some appliances that are left plugged in consume electricity although they are unused and this is what people would call phantom electricity. Unless you're living in a smart home, it's almost always beneficial for households to unplug appliances that are not being used not just for saving money but more so for safety as overheating or undetected defects can cause fire and other accidents.

7. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    The amount of electrical appliances connected to the point. That is going to increase the consumption. And that in itself is going to cost a lot of money. So one has to be really careful about how they are spending their energy and resources. You can see that such type of stuff needs to be properly managed as well. I have started to make use of the solar energy and that seems to be helping to some extent in these cases.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    These days you can get a Smart Meter so that you can tell how much energy you are consuming and how much it all costs. I don't have one but I would love to get one because it would maybe make me more aware of how much I am spending and maybe wasting. I'm not sure how many countries these meters are available to but I know we can get them in the UK.

9. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You can connect the appliances that are not in urgent use to solar power, for instance, the TV and them connect the more urgent ones like cookers to the grid. Then again, regular troubleshooting should be carried out on appliances to make sure that they don't waste power due to bottlenecks in their circuits.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Haing more electrical appliances in home means you are raising your electricity bills. However, you can still put the bill low if you purchase electricity efficient elctrical appliances. generally speaking a high end applications alsways save electricity. By having Samsung fridge and replace a lesser known bran we were able to save 20 percent electricity.