Notice To Cancel Homeowners Insurance

Discussion in Home & Property Insurance started by MrsJones • Apr 6, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I switched insurance companies late last year. After a couple of months I received a notice to cancel my homeowner's insurance if certain repairs were not completed by a given date. I didn't understand so I called to ask 'why?' Apparently an inspection was to have occurred within 30 days but didn't. Of course I was upset because I wasn't informed about this inspection beforehand so that I could have these repairs done rather than receive a letter of cancellation afterward.

When I called I also made them aware that I was very upset. I was considering switching to another company after the repairs are completed but I thought this might occur again.

What are your thoughts? Has this happened to you or someone you know?

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Some insurance companies look at their customers as dispensable but paradoxically want their money. I have not encountered such a case as you have elaborated on but I am aware that in some insurance circles, the customer is not king. Some hike premiums at a whim and them embark on a campaign to justify this with additional products and promotions. I usually take this to be a red flag for issues ahead in case of a loss needing compensation.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't own this home, I rent it, but due to where it's situated, I wasn't even able to get renter's insurance. Here, wind/storm insurance is common, and there's also something called FAIR which is supposed to be some sort of low end substitution for our inability to get renter's insurance, but since it didn't really provide much protection, I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

I'm hesitant to switch car insurance because I agree with remnant, many companies treat customers as disposable and think they can make up for the loss of your payments by others, and I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. That's why I've stuck with my utility providers (those I have a choice in, anyway) for now, also.

It sounds as if the repairs were completed? If so, I'd definitely look around and see what other companies are offering at what prices, but if you do that, make sure you do some internet research and read reviews to see if current and past customers are happy with the service.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of something like this Mrs. Jones. I would tell that company to take a hike personally. Can you bundle your homeowners with your auto insurance? That is usually the way to save a few bucks. If you want a low cost carrier you might want to investigate Travelers. They are affiliated with Geico. I don;t think they are the best..but other than not covering some water damage, they haven't given me any problems.