Nothing is a dollar at the Dollar store!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SavvyGirl2014 • Jun 4, 2014.

1. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    Seriously guys, what is the world has happened to the old school Dollar store? Dollar General and Family Dollar have a lot of items, but most of them aren't a dollar! What the heck is going on? Especially in this economy where money matters, we are all trying to save a buck. I think that the Dollar Tree is probably the last big dollar store that actually has everything a dollar, or at least the majority of its items costs a dollar. But these stores seriously need to change their name because it is now just a gimmick and really doesn't offer that much savings. Family Dollar sells some food items, Milk included, but it is more expensive there than it is if you go to Walmart or Save A Lot. How is that possible, its supposed to the be the dollar store! Where are the savings!? :confused:

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's just a name. I wouldn't bother so much about it. It's like Deadman's Falls, French fries or French dressing. I'm pretty sure no one would actually die at Deadman's Falls and I'm sure when the fries and the dressing first came out people probably thought it was misleading. I don't think Family Dollar and Dollar General would be a gimmick because they never were a dollar store to my knowledge. They probably are more expensive than Walmart but I'm sure even they have good deals. Most stores would have positives and negatives. Their customer service is probably better than Walmart. I wouldn't trust their quality in general but I just simply don't shop there. Some people probably do find things that they need or desire for a better cost and that's fine.

3. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    Yeah I don't really buy food items from there unless it is canned or non-perishable. Have you ever been to one where the items are just extremely dusty? My last trip to Family Dollar the cashier was rude and scanned another woman's item then had the nerve to ask if I could just let her give me a dollar for it so he wouldn't have to void it. I am over it when it comes to those places. But Dollar Tree is actually a good bargain. You don't find many of them around anymore, but they actually have dollar items. 5 below is good with that as well, all of items under 5 dollars.

4. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    Inflation hit the dollar store right in its name. Right where it hurts.
    I feel like most things have been above the dollar mark for awhile now (here anyways).
    The odd time I go there it seems like $2-$3 is the average.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have never consider "Dollar General" and whatnot to be "dollar stores." That's just a name and they round up to the nearest dollar instead of having all the various 'cents'.

Dollar Tree is truly a store where you can buy things for a dollar. I don't believe Dollar General was ever set up to be that way.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to Dollar General because the items in there are not priced at a dollar. It is just a name to get more people to come into the store. Family dollar as far as I know has good prices but do not call themselves a dollar store type of store. In my area Dollar Tree is a dollar store and every thing in there is $1.

7. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I have also notice this in my local dollar stores. It is rare that you find things that are actually a dollar and the products that are a dollar aren't even worth it. I find that if you collect coupons you can get some pretty good deals at these "dollar stores" but if not, you are better off going to a major chain like Walmart.

8. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't care about their names Dollar General or Family Dollar when referring to Dollar stores. I actually shop at both stores quite a bit. I coupon at them. When Couponing you'd be amazed at how some of the "dollar" stores have better bargain prices. I refuse to pay full price(even when it comes to a dollar) when I don't have to.

Dollar Tree is yet an awesome store in its own. I, too, coupon shop there as well. The more I can get with less money(after coupons), I'm a very happy person!

9. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Really, the only thing I get at the dollar store is to try and find some cheap candy. But I do notice that other items there are more expensive than a dollar. And it makes sense that those items are more expensive as the store has to make money somehow. So I think the "dollar store" type of name is just that; a name. Stores can't afford to sell everything for a dollar anymore.

10. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I think I'm in the minority here! I thought "Dollar Tree", "Family Dollar" and "Dollar General" could all be considered "dollar" stores. You know, hence the name? I rarely ever go into the dollar myself though; the ones were I live are always jam-packed and a mess, and the employees are all really snippy to the customers. I think the last time I went into a dollar store was this past winter, and it was only to get some wrapping paper. 5 Below is much better as a "dollar store". Nothing in the store ever goes over five dollars, but they do have a lot of things that are sort of expensive, even if they most expensive thing is five dollars.

11. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    It actually is very frustrating for me too, most of the dollar stores around me have become more like $5 and up, which is quite frustrating when you're just looking for cheap little things like sunglasses or party favors. Seems to me that if they're charging more than a dollar they should be renaming their stores so that people aren't lured in and then disappointed, as I can hardly ever remember which chains are still a dollar and which ones aren't!

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get that Dollar General isn't an actual dollar store, but I find it annoying that my local "everything for 99 cents" stores don't actually have a lot of dollar items. False advertising.
    That's why I like Dollar Tree. You know where you stand with them and their merchandise is pretty nice for $1.

13. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    You and I both! I am actually shocked to here so many people say it was never intended to be a "dollar" store. I guess I was fooled lol. But yup, Dollar Tree is the only one that actually is based on having things $1. If you notice, even the 99 cent stores now read, "99 cents and up" or "starting at 99 cents". But the Family Dollar and Dollar General have their cheapest items around $2-3 and that's just their cheapest. From what I've seen, the average price seems to be around $5. I haven't shopped at 5 below yet, but I had one where I used to live and I liked what I saw when I went in there for a quick browsing session.

14. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:

This is a really good idea! I never thought about couponing at the Dollar Store. Where do you usually find your coupons? This is definitely a great way to save money. I find it hard couponing now because it seems like all of the newspapers have limited coupons and the stores are getting pretty stingy by not including them in most of their advertisements like they used to. I'm surprised to find out that Dollar Tree has or accepts coupons. That's really a good bargain!

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I quite like Five Below. I'm usually not into stores like that (more into Walmart type discounts) and I haven't been there in a long time. However, that's where I got my disco ball. I've been looking for one of those for a while as I've never been able to find those in brick and mortar stores anymore.

16. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    Well, prices increase over time. A dollar doesn't get you what it used to so it stands to reason that most dollar stores can't sell you stuff for just a buck. The inventory is still like $1-3 largely so still really cheap.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree truly has items for a dollar. There are no Family Dollar stores in California. I have been in a Family Dollar store when I went to visit a relative in the Southern part of the US. I thought they offered great deals even though most items were money than a dollar. They especially had great deals on dinnerware and cast iron cookware. The next time that I go visiting, I am going to bring an extra suit case just for the stuff I will be buying there.

18. SavvyGirl2014

SavvyGirl2014Member

Threads:
    I think I am going to start seeking out more Dollar Trees. Especially with the idea of being able to use coupons, why not save even more money? Don't get me wrong, Family Dollar is still a good place to grab a few things if I need them for cheap. But I've noticed lately that I can actually find some of the same things cheaper at Walmart. I would think they would try to price match them or beat them out. But hey, who can really compete Walmart these days?

19. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I've discovered that products at various dollar stores are cheaper at Walmart or Walgreens (when they have sales, some of them are really good).

Dollar Tree prices are $1 or less and I have run across a few other dollar stores that are truly $1 stores, but they aren't part of a chain like Dollar Tree.

20. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree is a dollar store. None of those other places have ever claimed to be a "dollar" store. Family Dollar and Dollar General are discount stores, no gimmick there. They offer extra savings and don't claim to be anything other than they are. The confusion comes from the way people have a tendency to group things into categories. I know someone who refers to a consignment store as the thrift store, and it's just not the same thing.