No Eating In The Movies!

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by to7update • Jan 19, 2017.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I went to the movies, and for my surprise, not only they were not selling popcorn there, but it was forbidden to eat and drink in those cinemas! It was a long time since I was in one of these, as popcorn earns them as much money as the tickets I believe. I wonder if you have some of these near you as well?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    No, every theartre I have gone to always has food available to purchase. I think it's not a good idea to get rid of food at the movies because less people will be going so it means less money for them. To me it is kind of a tradition to have some sort of snack while watching a movie. Removing them will only take the fun out of the experience.

3. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    that's a bit funny, I agree that they would earns a lot of cash from pop corn alone, so why would they have it taken away? Movie houses near us are still serving food, the only thing I do not like about this is you can not bring your own food inside. I mean a popcorn costs a lot more than the tickets they are selling.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    It's really a surprise for me. The movie theaters here actually advocate buying of food items from the premises and off course bringing them from outside is not allowed here too. But if you ban food items altogether it may adversely affect their business. People usually like to eat snacks while watching movies or TV shows and some people are very particular about this. So these theaters may lose a considerable part of viewers because of this. They may look for other movie theaters that allow snacks inside the theater.

I have not seen any theaters discouraging this in my area. Recently there was a news that once luxury theater was organizing full course meals during movie!

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I was at the movies which was about two weeks ago we had popcorn while we watched the movies. The good thing in that movie house, they weren't charging extra for the popcorn it's like the price of the popcorn was already factored into the ticket money. I am surprised to hear about a no eating of even popcorn in a movie cinema.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Speaking of food in the theater, there is a cinema here called Director’s Club. The ticket is double the amount of the regular movie ticket because there is free unlimited popcorn and drinks. Besides, they have waiters where you can order sandwiches and other food that is available in their menu. It was one of a kind experience especially with the seat which is a lazy boy – you can recline like a bed and the seating is far apart so you have a little privacy. There’s also a small table beside you to handle your food and drinks. I’d say the cost of the ticket is worth it.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It would be uneasy for me if I go or see the movies and eating is not allowed. I was used to eating inside the movie theaters when I was a kid, a teenage and an adult. In that case, the cinema is too strict. It is too boring for more than an hour movie to sit and watch it with nothing to chew, nothing to eat. I don't think I could stay that long without something to eat.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I never purchase food in theaters anyway and just sneak in food when I can. I just purchase food similar to the ones they sell so the workers that enter the theater would think we purchased it from the theater itself and that saves a lot of cash. Plus, they never have done that because they know well that we'd never visit again if they try to search us. They only check purses or bags for weapons

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds like the dumbest business model I have ever heard of. I would not go anywhere near this, and while I try to avoid the popcorn and snacks, I stil need to know that I have the right to eat them.

10. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Is that for real? I've never been to a theater that had that rule. Believe it or not, most revenue made is usually from the items available for sale as they usually come up to more than the ticket per person. That movie theater is either missing out or not in this business for the money.

11. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    We have a new theatre out up almost 3 weeks back which has the food and drink restrictions.

You aren't allowed to eat or drink while watching the movie. They are saying it is to encourage the theatre area to be clean and hygienic and prevent pests.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I can't watch a movie without eating something. Be it a popcorn, a chocolate or a snack. ;)

But I hate it when the movie theater has a lot of clueless and rude people who don't know the boundary between feedin themselves and making a big mess with food.

It's really annoying/boring! :eek:

13. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It seems odd that the OP went to a theater with no popcorn. I thought they all had that. Anyway, at least, they all have some sort of food. Anyhow, I know it must be a job to clean up after all those customers. o_O

Anyway, of course, most theaters don't allow food. However, you can always save money be eating a lot of protein rich foods before you go. In that case, all you would need is popcorn and a drink. Note, Iv'e never wanted real food in a theater anyway. Popcorn is enough - especially a big bag.

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    That is so surprising o_O Why on earth would a cinema prevent patrons from eating? I have never heard or seen it before. It is one of the most bizarre things indeed. One of the reasons I love going to the cinema (aside from the movie) is that big tall box of buttered pop-corn and chocolates and my fizzy drink. I cannot simply imagine watching a great movie without something to munch.

15. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about the cinemas here as I have not been to cinemas for a few years since I have become a stay at home mom. This is quite surprise for me as popcorn seems to be a favorite food for watching movies in cinema. I agree with not selling other food, as eating those food might disturb others from enjoying the movie, but I think popcorn is fine. So no more soft drinks in cinemas too? I used to like drinking Coca-cola while watching movies too.