Never buy cheap earbuds from the Dollar Tree!

Discussion in Product Reviews started by SEA81 • Apr 22, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I needed new earbuds for my iPhone/iPod, and so, I thought I'd be smart and go to the Dollar Tree. They have some that attach over your ears.

First, they were annoying because the over the year part didn't fit.

Second, I used them for a week and suddenly they stopped working. One ear went out and then the other. They'd work when I jiggled the cords at first, but then they just died.

I know they were only $1, but it is so worth going elsewhere and buying nicer ones!

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks, I could see my daughter trying to buy them at a dollar store. I'll let her know not to do it! She usually gets Skullcandy ones at Best Buy or Target for around $10. They last her for about a year and it is usually due to pulled wires on them so they no longer work.

3. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    Yeah... Dollar Tree headphones are pretty bad to me.
    The sound quality isn't that good
    They don't seem to fit right
    They irritate my ear
    They break fairly easily

Mine lasted me roughly a week or two... It's not that bad considering they're 1$.

4. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought two different earbuds from the Dollar Tree. The first ones were the over the ear ones, probably the same ones you got. Those were not good at all and one ear did go out. I ended up throwing them away. I had also bought the white ones that just fit in the ear for a dollar and I love those! I use them when watching movies or listening music on my computer. I also use them on my phone when working out. It's weird how two they are both so different.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had bad luck with earbuds from the Dollar Tree too. I usually get my earphones from Big Lots. They cost a bit more, but the quality is good for the price and the last.

6. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    I also bought cheap earbuds from another dollar store. They broke in 2 days! I am a heavy user, but I just wanted to see if there was price benefit in $1 earbuds.

7. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I bought my husband cheap ones from Walmart one time and he took them to the gym to use on the elliptical. While he was working out, he actually got shocked through the headphones! Now I try not to buy the really cheap ones...

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I always see things like that as being temporary products anyway. I never expect them to last long, but if it's a matter of being on a trip and needing earbuds in a pinch? Then great. If I need a long term set, though, I'd rather pay a bit more and expect them to last for months instead of days.

9. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    I bought a pair of earbuds from the Dollar Tree and few months back. Although, mine weren't the ones that go over your ear. They are just the little ones that go inside your ear! I haven't had a problem with them at all! Maybe you just got a bad pair!

10. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do earbuds period. I feel like this whole small little gum headphone thing was truly taking a grand step backwards.
    Regular headphones have such a better sound and they are easier on the ears.
    People like look at me a little funny when I have my Dre Headphones on, but I don't really care. Those things are beast.

11. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    If you need earbuds, or will need them sometime in the future, just check online every now and then for sale on brand name earbuds. Like skullcandy or altec lansing or the J buds. You can easily find a brand name one around $5~10. I found out the hard way that the ~$1 headphones, whether from dollar stores or online, are just not worth it.

12. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I feel bad that you had to experience such low quality headphones. I go to the Dollar Tree for food only, and the electronics and batteries, I stay away from those. One time I bought a set of AA batteries, and they died within 2 hours of me buying them. I couldn't believe it all that money wasted, a dollar is a lot of money if you think about it. One hundred pennies and those headphones of yours just didn't hold up. Well, you live and you learn.

13. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    Haha I did the same thing last week. I was aggravated because the ear buds stopped working the same day I purchased them. My boyfriend looked at me and goes "you get what you pay for," but i was still hoping that $1 would stretch further than a few hours. Also steer clear of the cheap ear buds you can get for like $5 off of amazon. A guy at work bought a few pairs of ear buds off of there, and like I said they were only $5 but they all broke quickly as well.

I agree with your comment, it is better to spend the extra money to buy better quality ear buds.

14. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    One of my cats eats the wires so often that I basically have to buy headphones at the Dollar General :rolleyes: I've gotten a lot better about putting them away, but sometimes I forget. We don't get earbuds because none of us like them but the headphones are actually quite sturdy. My sister has a lot of trouble with the earbuds, though.

15. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I had the issue of the cord breaking rather quickly on these. With the cord breaking it would cut out the music on a regular basis. So I learned my lesson here and do not shop at these stores for my ear buds anymore.

16. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    That is so sad, I've really considered buying these at the dollar store, but I'm glad I didn't. My husband bought a cheap pair from Wal-mart, just a generic brand and they had a similar problem. The plastic on the earbud came off and then you had to jiggle the cords around to get sound. Really annoying.

17. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I saw some earbuds on sale at Walmart for $1. I almost bought them, but didn't. Now I'm glad I didn't because they are probably total junk. They probably would be in the trash by now.

18. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Cheap earbuds are complete crap. I've seen the iPhone/iPod knockoffs available for about $2 and they're not even worth that. They're uncomfortable (very poorly finished, crappy plastic), they have awful sound quality (if you have a good cellphone, why would you pick some crappy earphones to listen to music?!), and the cables get easily tangled and even cut.

19. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    Good earbuds are definitely something everyone should invest in. I bought a pair of fake Beat tours from China for $10 and even though they looked cool, they sounded like crap and broke after a month of use. I prefer the regular apple earbuds that come with most of their iPods. Not only is the sound quality at a decent level but they fit perfectly in my ear. I prefer them over the in-ear plug style.

20. Jeremy Green

Jeremy GreenMember

Threads:
    Earbuds are one of the hardest things to buy sometimes because they are often not very durable.